Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-11, 04:21 PM  
imhere2dance

Not at all. Every instructor I'm familiar with is older than me, but I wouldn't care if a person was my age or younger.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 05:42 PM  
jessicavi

Age doesn't matter to me but as others have said personality does. I think Jessica Smith, Stephanie Vitorino, and some of the other female instructors on Exercise TV are great instructors minus the bikini body talk. I don't care for hyped-up, overly chatty, whooping, just-had-a-coffee-IV drip & enema personality types . Sorry, Chalene and Mindy who are both mature solid instructors. I prefer instructors who I perceive as genuinley enthusiastic but not just over the top, enjoying the workout, and encouraging but also not just focused on vanity (getting a bikini body). I like Amy, Cathe, Christi, Lauren Brooks, and the few CIA instructors I have.

I started working out in my 20's to the classic FIRMs. I'm sure they were my peers back then. I still enjoy them. I took a long 7yr break. I still loved Susan Harris when I returned and I now have her Finding Your Core. I'm sure she's in her 40's there and she's still fun to workout with now that I'm in my 40's. I still think she's somewhat cutsey now as she was way back when. On the flipside when I got back into working out, I found I didn't like Tracie Long as much anymore and I couldn't understand why. I remember debating whether to get her Maximum Body Shaping a few years ago b/c I didn't know if I'd like it. But I got it and love it still. Then I got her Fitprime w/o and soon got rid of it. Afterwards, I realized it's b/c she just gave too much instruction for me and was a bit dry, same thing for her Better Body Better Buns. So, obviously I have changed too. Strangely however even though chattiness turns me off, I actually don't mind Leslie in small doses and Kelsie Daniel. I now can tolerate a couple male instructors, too.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 06:20 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

The age of the instructor does not matter to me. What matters to me is the inspiration factor. I need to click with the instructor's personality, and more importantly, I need the workout to be motivating, effective and safe.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 06:30 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I don't get my inspiration from the instructor. I decide upon a workout based on how well the moves work for me. So, with that in mind, no... the age of an instructor is not something that matters to me. I don't choose or turn down any workout based on that criteria.

At this point, however, most instructors are younger than I am anyway. I will be 55 this year.
Old 02-15-11, 06:56 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I don't think the age of the instructor matters too much as most of the instructors are much younger than me now.
I have been exercising to videos since I was 20ish and a few of the instructors have aged with me, Kathy Smith, Keli Roberts and Denise Austin.
Denise has mellowed and improved much over the years and all of them are inspiring to me as examples of a lifetime of fitness doing different styles of exercise.
Jessica Smith, Amy Dixon and Paul Katami ares some of the younger ones I enjoy working out with. It's an attitude from the instructors which sets the tone and often I modify anyway.
Thinking about this more... I feel like the same person inside always, it's just when I pass a mirror I have to do a double take to realise that older person is me.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 08:13 PM  
kpieczy

I guess the age doesn't matter.

I do notice that I'm changing. I used to love Cathe high impact and step. Now my body doesn't like it (actually my knees). The type of workouts that I'm using more frequently seems to be changing with my age.
Old 02-15-11, 08:14 PM  
blzgrl

I don't choose by age (although I was struck by how young the girls in Endurance Strike are--YIKES!), but I like older instructors because I relate to them and because they inspire me to stay fit at any age.
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 08:26 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

I've always been a fan of the low-key instructors, e.g. the lovely Ms. Voight, and the older I get, the more I appreciate them.

I want private body parts kept private. I don't want excessive cleavage, I don't want butt cracks, and I don't want to think that your no-waist-no-hips physique is going to result in your pants sliding down to your knees.

Just give me an effective work-out that I can enjoy on some level.
______
YADEB
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 10:15 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

It's not so much preferring a certain age, it's more that by this time-- having worked out at home for more than twenty years--I've aged right along with the instructors I like. Cathe and I, for example, are the exact same age. But I have discovered a few younger ones that I like--Alison from the FIRM, Paul Katami, and it doesn't bother me that they're younger.

Donna H
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 12:05 AM  
tigger

[QUOTE=Jeanne Marie;1743342]I don't get my inspiration from the instructor. I decide upon a workout based on how well the moves work for me. So, with that in mind, no... the age of an instructor is not something that matters to me. I don't choose or turn down any workout based on that criteria.

Totally agree. I guess a lot of my favs are in my age range, but it makes no difference to me at all. I also don't care at all about their personal lives so I don't care if they have children, etc. In fact, I'd say I know absolutely nothing about any of them personally (age included) unless I've read it here.

Now personality- that's a factor.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, over 50