Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-11, 02:28 PM  
acey

For me, it's all about how I'm feeling at that particular point in time! Sometimes I'm inspired by goofy or hyper instructors like Chalene or Gin or Tony -- other times, I can't stand them. Sometimes I am soothed and yet inspired to work hard with calmer instructors like Margaret or Karen, other times I feel like I'm being lulled to sleep.

I love the variety of personalities.

As long as an instructor seems to have a pretty good idea of what he/she is doing, great!

I was reminded of a Gilad BIM episode where during the abs section he says: "You're getting stronger every day....and I'm getting older every day!" That had to be years ago, but he still looks great and is still one of my all-time favorites!
Old 02-15-11, 02:44 PM  
YogaGal

I didn't start using videos/dvds until I was around 40, and I have preferred to work out with an older instructor. I started with Denise Austin and Kathy Smith, and now that I'm 53, I'm exercising with Kelly Coffey-Meyer, Petra Kolber, Michelle Dozois, Karen Voight. I just discovered Tracie Long this year and am adding several of hers to my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaDeb View Post
Age really doesn't matter, but working out with someone I can relate to does matter -- and I can't relate to peppy, bouncy 20-year olds -- they're supposed to have that kind of energy, LOL!! But I can totally related to peppy, bouncy 40+ instructors -- at that age (speaking strictly from personal experience) it takes work and effort to keep up those energy levels!
This is how I feel. It is much easier to be thinner and energetic in your 20s; I want to be inspired by a 40+ woman who is *working* at it! An yes, I do know that many younger women still work hard to be in good physical condition (strong muscles and good endurance), but I still prefer seeing someone closer to my age.

I do have some exceptions--I have many of Jessica Smith's workouts and do them often. I enjoy her teaching style and personality. I also follow Ana Brett's Kundalini Yoga which I do several times a week.
Old 02-15-11, 02:44 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'd never really thought about it before... I don't think age matters to me as much as the instructor's style. I do NOT esp. like 'perky' instructors. Denise Austin, who is not really young, is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I did my first Amy Bento video today and liked her a lot. She appears to be fairly young, but was very get-down-to-business, which I like.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 03:05 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

The age of the instructor makes no difference to me at all. I'd be happy to exercise to a cyborg if the workout were good. As someone said upthread, I don't identify in any way with the video instructor; to me, he or she is just there to cue the moves.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 03:12 PM  
suegy3

The age doesn't matter but I do want them to be in shape and using proper form.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 03:33 PM  
goldillocks

I am 37 and my favorite instructors are in the 35-40 age bracket including Tracy Anderson, Tracey Mallett, Jeniffer Galardi, Ellen Barrett, Amy Bento, Sylwia Weisberg, Alison Davies, Leandro and Shaun T. I also do love the more mature but perky pesonalities of Chalene Johnson and Christie Taylor but I cannot stand any of the younger 20ish Firm instructors !
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 03:38 PM  
juberann

DejaDeb~ It WAS your comment that inspired me to start this thread Looks as if it opened up some interesting Tuesday conversation
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 03:42 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
I dont think age bothers me one way or the other. I think Chalean is 42 so she is not that young but definitely hyper but that is what I like is her energy. I am 46 but I like a variety from Jessica Smith to Petra. I like Cathe ,Chalean and Tracy Anderson but I didnt think I liked men instructors until P90X and discovered I really liked Tony(go figure). I go by more on their personalities than there age.
Chalene is 42....I could be her mama (if I gave birth at age 16) but it is her energy that I love. I need that energy, it is contagious to me.

I don't generally like very young instructors because it's hard for me to relate to them (not that they are bad or anything) although the ones I loved 10-15 years ago and still love, I am now 10-15 years older and they haven't aged at all, on DVD....if that makes sense, yet I still love them.
Old 02-15-11, 03:49 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Only personality, I could care less about age. Paul Katami must be young, Tony Horton is "old" and both are my favorites just to name a few.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 03:51 PM  
CharM

Right now, age doesn't matter. All that matters is if I can do their workouts and if I like to do what they have to offer.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, over 50