Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-11, 12:32 PM  
juberann

I recently realized something and it's not so much about the age of the instructor as it is about the personality(in this case). Tanya Becker (P57) is in her 40's (and beautiful) and I was really enjoying her workouts for awhile, however, she got old for me........fast. I just don't like that hyper,over the top personality mainly because on a DVD you have to hear it over and over again and,for me,that tends to get old quick and then I end up shelving the workout because I just can't stand to do it anymore. I don't buy workouts to be "entertained" by the instructor, I guess, and I must have a more "calm" demeanor. I tend to do the same workouts over and over again(have always been that way) so it's really important that I can tolerate the instructor's personality
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:32 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Yes, absolutely! And I honestly love when I know they're moms as well. It's just more inspirering to me than a 20-something 'spring chicken' who never went through a pregnancy for example.
I really Leslie Sansone for that reason as well as Denise Austin, though her breathy voice can be a little annoying after a while.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:33 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I never even think about it to be honest. So, no, it doesn't matter to me at all. I think this goes along with how I generally don't look to identify with the instructor or find motivation in the instructor's looks or fitness level.
Old 02-15-11, 12:34 PM  
alisoncooks

My collection is pretty varied. I do tend to gravitate toward more subdued instructors (regardless of age)...and about 2/3 of my collection is female-led.

In no way would I ever be classified as "perky"....and it's something I cannot abide by in an instructor. That does tend to knock quite a few workouts out for me...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:35 PM  
Lorelai

This thread caught my eye, though in my early twenties I'm on the other end of it! I've always thought I was a little weird for this, but I tend to be drawn to workouts led by women who are "younger." I think it's just because I want to work out with someone closer to my peer group. But it's not always like that... I'm really drawn to Classical Stretch, for example. I think it's somewhat natural to feel drawn to our "contemporaries," so to speak.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:39 PM  
juberann

Interesting, Val, that you mention the mother thing. I have thought about that so many times and I simply cannot even try to relate to an instructor that has never had a child. I can in "real" life and know several women who have not given birth and I have no problem with that but an exercise instructor? I must be able to relate to her on that level isn't that weird?
juberann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:41 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
It's not age so much as personality.
ITA!

My favorite instructors range in age from Jessica Smith (what is she, mid-20's?) to Tony Horton (53-ish).

I do, however, find it motivating to have people in their 40s and 50s as backgrounders or instructors.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:44 PM  
laurajhawk

All other things being equal, I feel a little more comfortable with instructors who are somewhere near my own age -- but they feel like they're "my age" anywhere from Eoin Finn (40ish?) to Tony Horton (53ish). I really don't choose instructors for their age, though; I like Jessica Smith, and I like Gurmukh (who's well over 60).

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 12:51 PM  
JP44

I like charismatic, motivating instructors more than calm, sedate instructors.

I think age is relative.

Denise Austin does not "act her age" (I mean that in a good way as I think she's very inspiring to many).
Richard Simmons has always been wonderfully over the top.
Tony has his schtick and he's 52.
Debbie Siebers is now 50 (talk about an inspiring physique!!) and she's as warm & perky as ever.
Elizabeth Halfpapp is what 56-57 (another incredible physique!) she's more energetic on the Yogavibes workouts than the dvds.
Kathy Smith was a calmer instructor when she first started out, then she got a little "whoopy", then calm again.
Karen Voight was always calm, even when she started out.
Frankly, Burr puts me to sleep but that's due to her eternal set up time. but she's in amazing shape.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 01:00 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Age doesn't really matter--a calm and seasoned demeanor does. So that probably explains why I'm drawn to older instructors: Margaret Richard, Gin Miller, Leslie Sansone, Miranda Esmonde-White, Burr Leonard, Petra Kolber, Joyce Vedral, Gilad, et al. Love having these older instructors as role models.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructors, over 50