Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-11, 03:39 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
I used to really be into dancy step, and have done many of the workouts listed here. I remember a lot of buzz about one particular one though, but when it came out everyone was pretty floored by how advanced it was. Here's a video clip. Fast-forward to the section where he's wearing a white shirt. There's just so much movement, I think that's what made it really tough to learn.
okaythat looks like FuN!!!! I notice they were using a 4" step.....I might have to order this, LOL, even if it takes me months to learn. I love complex step.

I also love pretty basic step for days I don't feel like thinking or I'm feeling klutzy. LOL
Old 02-10-11, 03:55 PM  
Sass

I can't get vertical step to save my life btw, but I struggle with almost all step workouts except for Cathe's. I am advanced step challenged. I'm not giving up so I'm still working with Amy's.
Old 02-10-11, 04:00 PM  
neatski

Quote:
I used to really be into dancy step, and have done many of the workouts listed here. I remember a lot of buzz about one particular one though, but when it came out everyone was pretty floored by how advanced it was. Here's a video clip. Fast-forward to the section where he's wearing a white shirt. There's just so much movement, I think that's what made it really tough to learn.
OMG!!! THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!! Has anyone else done it??

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 04:07 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:

I notice that the choreography is rated as "Ultra Complex". I think it should be "Uber-Ultra Complex with a 'Wha?' thrown in".
Old 02-10-11, 04:44 PM  
Carol L

Does anyone actually have the Xtreme Step workout? I've always wondered about that one. I'm 52 now and feel like I have to be somewhat cautious with these old knees, but I still love to do step.

I enjoy all of the above-mentioned complex workouts and actually just did Patrick's old CIA 9906 a few days ago. I still can't get all of the hi/lo choreography on that workout, but I have mastered the step section. I've been doing step for almost 20 years and I think that the first combo of 9906 is probably the hardest ever....but partially because of the way it's cued and the fact that the backgrounder on the right (Eddie) is so totally lost and making so many mistakes. He is really distracting.

For me, a close second is the 2nd/vertical section of Seasun's The Next Step. Very complex. I don't find her latest workout (Stepping Up) as difficult and in fact, it's one of my favorite step workouts ever. Tap Less, Step More (or Sweat More) is also complex, but a real goodie and another of my recent favorites.

I also love Mark Hendrick's step and just about all of the Evolution crew. Fredric Sjoberg's step/hi-lo is really, really good.

IMHO, Amy Bento's step workouts are badly cued and that's part of what makes them so frustrating to learn. I have ASC 2 and 3 and don't do them very often, partly because I don't like the music. It's a slippery slope between doing TOO much breakdown and not enough to keep the workout interesting long-term. This is why I don't reach for Christi's workouts much any more - simply too much TIFT and breakdown.
Carol L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 04:51 PM  
Barbara P
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol L View Post
Does anyone actually have the Xtreme Step workout? I've always wondered about that one. I'm 52 now and feel like I have to be somewhat cautious with these old knees, but I still love to do step.

I just ordered it! VF is such an enabler. I'm 58. so we will see how it goes. LOL
Old 02-10-11, 05:07 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
Amy Bento's and Seasun Zieger for sure!
Oh wait...Michelle Dozois and Tracy York's older dvd called Step it Off!
That one by Michelle and Tracy has the dubious title of being the only step workout I never could get and finally gave up trying. I will have to pull it out and try it again now that I'm older and wiser. I have successfully tackled Seasun, Amy (who is complicated only because of the late cuing, IMHO) Patrick, and Christi and I enjoy complex choreo!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 05:32 PM  
KathAL79

I don't find Christi's 9801 that bad, but I'll let you in on my secret: for 2 or so months I just did Christi workouts for cardio, working my way through all of her step workouts roughly in order of complexity until I got to 9801. I certainly didn't do it perfectly the first time out, but I found it very doable.

And while I realize Marcus Irwin and especially Rebecca Small are complex for a lot of people, IMHO their choreography isn't *that* complex, plus they break it down and cue so well even the more complex stuff is relatively easy to pick up. Compare that to Amy Bento...

I just did People in Motion's Dance Step 4, and Petra Kluike and Pat Seifried's sections are probably my current nominees for the most complicated step workout I've done thanks to the myriad of turns. I'm going to retry this once I'm not so prone to dizziness and still if I still think the same, although I suspect I will. I found those two bits more complex than Marc-Oliver Kluike's Dance Step 3 and Rob Glick's Step Gone Wild, which were previously among my most complex.

I've been wary of Patrick Goudeau and Seasun Zieger's more complex workouts, but I've recently acquired two more of Seasun's and am determined to conquer her. Oh, yeah, and that Xtreme Step is one that scares me. I'm only willing to do so many spins!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 05:41 PM  
kathys
VF Supporter

Quote:
I was hoping someone would mention this one. I couldn't remember the title. I attempted it a few times. The first half (?) is really fun. The second part is just mind boggling. It took me some time to master 9801 and some of the others mentioned so far, but this was totally beyond me.

edited to add: After reading Carol's post, Patrick's 9906 is another one that is very difficult for me.
kathys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 05:50 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think the workout I was most proud to learn was ASC2. After I learned that one, ASC3, ASC1, and the new ASC4 seemed like a breeze!!!

I recently JUST mastered Rock Steady Step and The Next Step from Seasun. Stepping Up, however, is another story. I am still stuck on the blasted pivot from combo one! I always, ALWAYS end up facing the wrong side of the step. But I am determined to learn it as I love Seasun and the music in this one rocks!!

I have Christi's 9801 but have never even previewed it. In fact, I have A LOT of Christi step workouts, but have never tried them as I seem to always turn to her hi/lo.

Out of Totally Cool Step, Solid Gold Step, Step Heaven, Still Steppin', and 9801 - which one would you suggest starting with?

Thanks!!
I would definitely start with Totally Cool Step. Have fun!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
complex choreography, complex step, favorite step, step, step aerobics, step workouts