Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-11, 07:53 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

What's the name of the Evolution instructor I've heard (read) referred to as The European Patrick? Is he as complex as some of these other workouts? I've never tried him except on a sampler DVD because (a) Patrick workouts look scary complex to me and (b) he lost me within a couple of minutes on the sampler segment I tried!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 08:13 PM  
ots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
What's the name of the Evolution instructor I've heard (read) referred to as The European Patrick? Is he as complex as some of these other workouts? I've never tried him except on a sampler DVD because (a) Patrick workouts look scary complex to me and (b) he lost me within a couple of minutes on the sampler segment I tried!
I'm not sure --- maybe Steve Boedt? Or, Balasz? There's also Marc-Oliver & Fredrik Sjoberg & David van de Velde. They're all fun.

I definitely get lost on Patrick's hi-lo....but find his step much easier and more fun. I think the Evolution videos are all doable.
ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 08:17 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Christi 9801!! I think it was Daphne who said that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity was harder, but not much! Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 10:07 PM  
Helen

Mark Hendricks can move in a way that I CAN"T!! I have Step Till You Drop 2, He can get more wiggle in his hips than mine are capable of!

9801 - have it... love it!
General Theory of Relativity - derived the equation from 1st principles, notice that was past tense! (Gen.Rel was a post-grad option with my maths degree)

I only have a few Evolutions, and none with Rebecca Small. I keep telling myself that I'll get some one day, when I earn them, but I always balk at the price.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 09:53 AM  
Janzia
VF Supporter

Tap Less, Sweat More is one that has confounded me no matter how many times I try it.

I also tried ASC3 for the first time the other day and was lost at times but think I can get it if I just watch the preview. I love ASC2!!!

I remember when I was first getting into more complex step and I was doing Christi Taylor's Step Heaven, I was feeling all proud of myself thinking I was getting it and it wasn't too bad, then she said "that's the first combo" and I about fell out. I was, like, really that's ONLY ONE combo?!?!? I finally got the whole thing and felt like I deserved a diploma or something. Ditto on CIA 9801.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."~John "the Penguin" Bingham
Janzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 10:19 AM  
aunatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucia View Post
ITA! I did this one today for the first time...couldn't catch on to most of it but it was still fun. More difficult for me than any of Patrick's videos. I also did Dance the Step (Caroline Melviedes) once and that was pretty complicated. Very nice, though.
I was curious about this so I googled it and watched the clip on Fitness Organica. It does look like fun but there is just no way I could learn that. Kudos to you. I watched some other clips and some of those workouts are really different. I was really tempted by several but kept gravitating back to Carlos' All Cardio Latin Explosion because it was the one that felt doable to me.

2014 Goal- Be consistent! Embrace yoga!
aunatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 11:29 AM  
Pascal

I think the workout I was most proud to learn was ASC2. After I learned that one, ASC3, ASC1, and the new ASC4 seemed like a breeze!!!

I recently JUST mastered Rock Steady Step and The Next Step from Seasun. Stepping Up, however, is another story. I am still stuck on the blasted pivot from combo one! I always, ALWAYS end up facing the wrong side of the step. But I am determined to learn it as I love Seasun and the music in this one rocks!!

I have Christi's 9801 but have never even previewed it. In fact, I have A LOT of Christi step workouts, but have never tried them as I seem to always turn to her hi/lo.

Out of Totally Cool Step, Solid Gold Step, Step Heaven, Still Steppin', and 9801 - which one would you suggest starting with?

Thanks!!
Old 02-10-11, 02:19 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I used to really be into dancy step, and have done many of the workouts listed here. I remember a lot of buzz about one particular one though, but when it came out everyone was pretty floored by how advanced it was. Here's a video clip. Fast-forward to the section where he's wearing a white shirt. There's just so much movement, I think that's what made it really tough to learn.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 02:31 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyann View Post
Oh wait...Michelle Dozois and Tracy York's older dvd called Step it Off!
Shelleyann - I had both Step it Offs and they drove me insane! I am not into complex choreography at all, I think I still can get a really good workout without it. But I do admire those who can do the complex stuff!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:04 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I don't do complex step anymore so I haven't tried any of Amy's. I have tried a lot of others mentioned here. Mark Hendricks, I love his style since it's dancy. However, he does some moves that are a lot easier for his tall body than my 5'0" body. Patrick, Seasun, Christy are complex but they are also good cuers so that makes their choreography easier to learn. There have been other step workouts that are not as complex but take longer to get because the instructor doesn't cue well. I loved a lot of the old CIA workouts, both step and hi/lo. They were so creative.

Tags
complex choreography, complex step, favorite step, step, step aerobics, step workouts