Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-11, 11:05 AM  
Vee

Complex step...can't do DVD can do live class!

Anyone else like me?

I love complex choreography step workouts at the gym. I even do the double step classes. I need the instructor's back to face me. That way i can follow along exactly. I don't bother with remembering the choreography. I just follow the instructor and dont think too much and the steps happen by themselves. Why don't they shoot DVDs of the backs of the instructor and cast?

The only complex dvd step workouts I could do are the ones my sister learned first and taught me.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:14 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I think Christy does one like that or at least I've seen her turn around and do a few steps.

But with the actual step, never seen that done.

Maybe its the cueing on what you are watching that confuses you? Just a thought

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:18 AM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
I think Christy does one like that or at least I've seen her turn around and do a few steps.

But with the actual step, never seen that done.

Maybe its the cueing on what you are watching that confuses you? Just a thought
Eureka! You are right. Thanks! Between the accent and the loud music I don't understand any cues in step live class at my gym. So now I need step DVDs with minimal verbal curing and the camera on the back of the instructor all the time...somehow I don't think my wish will be granted.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:21 AM  
PeakFitness

Whenever a DVD instructor is on the opposite side of the step (the side of my step that's closest to the TV), I can NEVER tell what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm always on the wrong leg or wrong side. So I can see how it would probably be easier not to have to look at a mirror image as the choreo gets more complex. As I do more turning and go all around the step, the mirror image gets more confusing. Like those doctors who perform surgeries while looking at a mirror image of the heart - how do they do that??!
Old 02-02-11, 11:30 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Tell me about it Peak. That is amazing also. I'm watching and wondering what the heck they are talking about. Would help if I new more internal organs though. Lol.

And talk about going around the step and V up, hated it all. One more reason I don't own a step. I gave it away. Never to return, even for exercise that aren't so called Step. I dislike it so bad, I don't even want to see another repeater, left or right leg.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 12:26 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

It took me a while to follow an instructor in the mirror image, but I eventually caught on. I still have trouble when they do turns, I usually have to rewind and study which way they're going, but otherwise I'm fine.

You might start with some easier step workouts to practice. It takes a little time, but it can be done. Just remember that when an instructor turns to the side, her/his inside leg is also your inside leg, same with the outside one. That's where I had the most trouble. Once the pattern gets established in your brain, you'll be fine. Think of it as building new synapses. That's always a good thing.

Tags
complex choreography, complex step, mirror cuing