Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-09, 02:58 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

NY Times on AM vs. PM exercise. No answers, just interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/he...best.html?_r=1

Basically the answer is it depends on which theory you believe in, or at least that is what my uneducated reading of it interpreted.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 04:47 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

That's quite interesting. And if you are trying to lose weight, I wonder if exercising (less efficiently?) with a higher heart rate later in the day would lead to faster loss?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 04:54 PM  
chrisqan

http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/f...px?itemid=2625

i read this article a few months ago and it too suggests that afternoon workouts might be better because your basal temperature is higher.
chrisqan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 04:55 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

That was my basic confusion. Do you burn more exercising efficiently or ineffeciently.

But I appreciated the considered way people responded to interviews and giving both sides.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 05:01 PM  
cherimac

I was always an afternoon exerciser until about a year ago. Then I switched. This week, I've switched back and find that my performance is just better in the afternoon. The con, for me, is that life can get in the way and my workout may be shorter~or not happen. But, I just feel better exercising in the afternoon. But, I'm SOOOO not a morning person.
Old 12-11-09, 05:06 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Maybe this is why I do short strength workouts in the morning, but save my cardio for the afternoon/evening.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 05:10 PM  
Kesal

That article definitely clicks with me. I always feel like I get a better workout later in the day than I do first thing in the morning, and my heart rate is higher. I just feel like I can put more oomph into it. The which-is-better debate is pretty much moot for me though; if I don't exercise first thing in the morning on weekdays, I don't exercise at all, and that's no good.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 05:52 PM  
YogaGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesal View Post
The which-is-better debate is pretty much moot for me though; if I don't exercise first thing in the morning on weekdays, I don't exercise at all, and that's no good.
That's my situation. I am NOT an early morning person, but when I used to put off exercise for after I came home from work, too often it didn't happen at all. While I find it difficult to get myself started in the morning, I do find it much easier to stick to a schedule of exercising regularly--usually 5 mornings a week--when I get it done before work.
Old 12-11-09, 06:17 PM  
sherry7899

I wish I could exercise at night, but I rarely have energy at that time. I'm definitely a morning person. Once in a while, I'll manage some yoga or a one mile Leslie workout at night, but that's about it.

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-09, 06:24 PM  
videofit

I've always worked out after work and no earlier than 4pm on my days off. I just don't feel like doing anything earlier. Even if this article said morning workouts burned the most fat and were better for my heart, I still wouldn't do them.

Tags
article, article link