Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-07, 04:25 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

VF Memories, Legends, and Lore

I grew up in a family that values stories, especially stories of family - even if those stories get overblown and become more legend than fact over time. So, as an adult, I tend to enjoy and pass along stories in the groups I am associated with - family, handbell quartet, friends from college, etc. Poor DH has to listen to stories about VF as well.

So, I thought it would be a fun Friday thread to give a space for people to share their favorite stories about VF with people who will appreciate them. What’s a VF memory you have that you think your fellow VFers would enjoy and/or appreciate?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 04:27 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Since I asked, I figured I'd post one

I was relatively new to my check in, the Cardio Cross Trainer Babes, so this was several years ago. One week, one of the members posted that her work was requiring her to work in another state for a few weeks, away from home. It was close enough to drive, so she was planning on loading up her car with her DVDs and strength equipment and her step, etc, and taking enough with her that she could continue her regular exercise while she was gone.

At the time, Marcus Irwin and his workouts were frequently under discussion and people frequently asked her questions about his workouts because she had them all. With this announcement, she said that she would not be taking her VHS workouts with her and she saw no reason for her Marcus VHS workouts to sit at home, so she would mail them out to fellow check in members who wanted to try them. If you borrowed one of the workouts, you could keep it for several weeks, but you had to have it back to her when she returned.

What a deal! The excitement at this announcement was enthusiastic and high! So, several of us signed up to have one or two of those workouts sent to us. She mailed them out and then she left on her trip. People reported what they thought on the check in. Then, someone figured, “Why be limited to the one or two workouts she sent us?” So, we started swapping among ourselves, sending on the workouts we had already tried. Marcus Irwin workouts were crisscrossing the country between the Midwest and the East. When she returned several weeks later, all workouts were returned to her.

That is one of my favorite memories of VF. And, for those who have seen me posting on VF for awhile, you might have figured out it triggered my love for Marcus Irwin’s workouts.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 06:13 AM  
Rosalind
VF Supporter

Talking flaming weenies

Joan Boadway's flaming weenies graphic! And her hilarious mock workouts, guaranteed to get you up and running.

Alta-tude fitness products (subscribe now!).

Rosalind
Old 06-07-07, 06:30 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Laura, what a great story! It makes me wonder if there are any other good check-in stories that the rest of VF might not be aware of. Checker-inners, do tell.

Some of my favorite VF memories include:
keeping informed on the "underground" forum when WWWendy was having her baby
the hilarious conversations between Joan B. and Rainy
getting a phone call, totally out of the blue, from Christi Taylor
the time a VFer's house burned down, and we all sent her videos
meeting VFers at parties, roadtrips and DCAC

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 06:46 AM  
snapfish45

Laura,
What a great story! I wish I had one to share!

Snap out of it!
snapfish45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 06:49 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

This is not a happy memory, but rather a poignant one. VFer Lenore Levine had cancer, but she was a fighter. She continued to do videos through all kinds of chemo treatments etc. Eventually though, she grew too weak to do them. Figuring that she could use some support, I decided to call her. I had never called anyone I had met on the internet before. We had several nice conversations until she went into the hospital where she eventually succumbed to the cancer. All of VF mourned her passing.
Old 06-07-07, 07:02 AM  
annetteb

-Meeting a very generous VFer who lived not too far from me! Thanks and you know who you are!
-Swap,can't imagine life without it.
-Ditto for saser's.
-For this Forum (and others like it).
-For wonderful women (and men) who support each other, not only in fitness but in health and wealth.
-For my Slim Sculpter's checkin buddies.
-Mostly for all you enablers out there........yes and YOU know who you are!
Annette
annetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 08:11 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Thanks, Jane P., for that memory of Lenore.

I spent an Easter Sunday afternoon with a cool, cool VFer in Detroit Metro airport! She knows who she is....

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 10:07 AM  
Suzette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalind
Joan Boadway's flaming weenies graphic! And her hilarious mock workouts, guaranteed to get you up and running.
Rosalind

That mock workout thread was one of the funniest things ever!
Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 10:14 AM  
sherry7899

I just had lunch with a great vf'er yesterday

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vf history