Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-04, 12:45 PM  
DawnP
VF Supporter

instructors with bad form and we keep buying 'em

Karen,

One instructor that comes to mind is Joyce Vedral. She has horrendous form & does reps at lightening speeds. Rounded back on rows & deadlifts, squats with knees way over the toes, etc.

Many folks keep buying her workouts because her books had such effective programs with good form pointers and they're just hoping that maybe *this time* Joyce got the hints about her form and will improve...

Hasn't happened yet. I still have her books. Her books have routines going from major muscle groups to smaller ones, super-setting or compound-setting exercises and they're a good guide for someone new to weight training.
Old 10-16-04, 02:06 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenP
OK, I don't get it. I've been hearing about certain video instructors using bad form in their videos. If this is the case, why to people keep buying their programs???????? This question is not addressed specifically to Leela. Please, anyone, chime in and explain it!
Because, if the workout is otherwise effective, then WE know good form and can correct it ourselves. Also, I sometimes like the feeling that I can do better than the instructor (though I do swear at them sometimes!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 02:10 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebella
I do think that - at least in the SS -- the background exercisers had bad form on purpose, to allow Debbie to instruct.
I don't agree. She "corrects" one of the exercisers when he is doing upright rows in a safer way, and has him raise his elbows higher (absolutely no benefit).

Also, Ashley does NOT look like her bad for is intentional. When she does deadlifts, I fear for her vertebrae and back ligaments. Even when Debbie "corrects" her, she still has a rounded back, bounces at the bottom, and goes too low for her ROM. I get the impression that there was very little practice for these workouts.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 02:11 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer V
I prefer to see the instructor doing all the reps in aworkout. If s/he wants to point out bad form, why stop? I like that I've seen Cathe say and show, "Do not do this...this is incorrect". It doesn't reflect badly on her/his background exercisers, and it lets me know s/he is aware of how to cheat a move or how to correct oneself when fatigue sets in. I also find that when an instructor pauses to correct someone else on video it breaks the flow of the workout.
I agree! When Debbie Siebers does this, she often forgets to count reps, which is a problem when you are working one side of the body at a time. :rolleyes: I like Debbie, but I wish she would either do all of the reps or find someone to do the counting for her!

I see the point of an instructor acting as a trainer rather than a participant. However, in the workouts I've seen, this seems to be done randomly. Sometimes the instructor does all of the reps, and sometimes she stops in the middle of the set. This just seems sloppy. I wouldn't mind if the instructor always did a few reps with the class to demo good form, then checked on the background exercisers.

IMHO, background exercisers should be taught good form before filming the workout!

Of course, in a live class, I'd prefer an instructor who checked on our form instead of doing the workout herself.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-04, 02:42 PM  
KimberlyN
VF Supporter

I think Christi strikes a good balance in SBF. I think she may even say something to the effect that she's going to walk around because then she'll be able to talk. I think she does the part with weights, and walks around when you're lying down or balancing on hands and knees. I think it would actually be pretty funny if she was trying to talk and demo something almost upside down...

Tags
instructors, pet peeves