Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-08-21, 08:44 AM  
alisoncooks

What does lower body floor work do for strength?

Golly, I must be bored this week. This is like the 3rd thread I've started in as many days. I'm just doing my part to keep VF active and thriving.

So...lower body floor work, of the Pilates variety, along the lines of Winsor B&T or Barlates or The Firm floor work. I love it...or at least I don't dread it (plus it doesn't bother my knees)! However, I also love being able to lift myself off the toilet. This has me considering: does floor work build strength?

I'm certain it can't rival heavy lifting. But beyond that, is it a sufficient strength builder (for my goals, i.e. independent toileting) or must it be paired with some type of standing LB strength training?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 08:58 AM  
donnamp

Hi!
I think that type of lower body strengthening works more on the smaller/stabilizing muscles and is good for an overall balanced lower body program. Many PT type exercises are similar to lower body floorwork. Also, I think certain exercises help w/ glute activation - bridging etc.

While I think you also need to do standing exercises for a totally balanced lower body program, the floorwork certainly has its place!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 09:25 AM  
bubbles76

I can't speak to Winsor B&T as I've never done it, or Barlates as I haven't done enough of her workouts exclusively. I can speak to Margaret Richard, killing me softly with her floor work and making my lower body stronger. I did her lower body floor work for several months and noticed a difference in strength and aesthetics. Now, Margaret does have some standing exercises in a few of her dvds, but for the most part she seems to stick to floor work using ankle weights or body weight. It worked great for me when my knees were complaining. However, I think in general that my body responds better to body weight and low weight high rep workouts. I just like feeling bad ass and doing heavy weights, so I incorporate that style of training more.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
floorwork, lower body, strength building