Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-21, 09:42 AM  
Terry

Amazon finally got itself straightened out so now Bubbles and I get to Own Our Ages with Lorraine Gantt. Here is my take:

I did the first three workouts this morning:
• Balance (and abs)
• Shoulders/Arms (and abs)
• Legs/Butt (and abs).

I fast forwarded through
• Stretch (and abs)
• Legs/Butt II (and abs)
• Shoulders/Arms II (and abs)
• Back/Chest (and abs) This might called Chest/Back, but she does Back and Rear Delts first.

She does two sets of 8 slow-ish reps for Shoulders/Arms and Legs/Butt. Both Legs/Butt workouts are floor work. For Back/Chest, she only does one set of rows and one set of reverse flies, but two sets of pushups. It looks to me like the DVD got made with Legs/Butt II and Shoulders/Arms II put on in reverse of the order she might have intended. I only fast-forwarded these two, with a bit of regular speed in the beginning so I could hear her intro, and I didn’t catch her referring to either workout as Day 5 or Day 6.

Her sequence is:
• Super short cardio warmup
• Stretch warmup
• The main workout
• Super short cardio, less than 2 minutes
• Abs
• Cool Down/Stretch

The good:
• She makes me smile. I want to meet her for lunch.
• As a trainer, Lorraine is motivational to me, and I like that she is even a few years older than I am. Her goal with this DVD is to “help you get your body moving in the right direction” (might not be the exact quote).
• Both Shoulders/Arms workouts might be great for doing heavy work.
• I like her throwing in short abs sessions 7 days per week. There are only a few moves each day, but I like all of the moves I did today and all of the moves I saw on fast forward.
• I liked Balance and think it could be good as part of a warmup.
• My fast forward showed that I will probably like Stretch.
• The super short cardio won’t count for cardio fitness, but it was a spot where I got to smile with Lorraine. I wish she had included a full cardio workout on the DVD. I think it would be smiling-level fun to do cardio with her.

The OK:
• The floorwork for the first Legs/Butt wasn’t the greatest IMO. She does three different moves, and I altered the angles of two of those for my workout plus I also added 4-lb ankle weights. Two sets of 8 for floor work, i.e. the opportunity to go heavy, is a new idea for me. I actually have 10-lb ankle weights so I should have tried this workout with those today. Per my fast forward, I think Legs/Butt II might be better.
• I don’t know if Chest/Back will be very useful. I wonder why she only did one set for each of the back/rear delt moves. For pushups, two sets of 8 slow-ish pushups might be OK, and there is enough talk time to do more pushups than she does during this section. I think 2 sets/8 might be a great pushup scheme for beginners, but I don’t have enough knowledge to know if the single sets for back/rear delts are great for beginners or just OK.
• Lorraine is probably motivational for a lot of people, beginners included and maybe especially, but she is not the greatest trainer for beginners as she doesn’t give much instruction. This type of beginner workout and the motivation to get up and move is great for re-starts when life has pulled an experienced exerciser to the couch for awhile, and that person has been down long enough to have a problem overcoming inertia.

Where I think she missed:
• The warmup goes through maybe a minute of cardio and then into stretch. I work out in the a.m., and following this video “as is” without any previous warmup would have me trying to stretch cold muscles.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-21, 10:57 AM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 01:10 PM  
Terry

I did the second Arms/Shoulders workout today. She messes up the counts significantly. Production should have worked for that to not be in the final product. Now I wonder if she messed up counts for Days 2 and 3 but I didn't notice. The Chest/Back workout is less than 10 minutes long, so maybe when I see it at normal speed I'll be able to tell if it is messed up from what was intended.

For Arms/Shoulders II, at the end she said this was Day 6. The rotation does intentionally go:
  • Day 2 Arms/Shldrs
  • Day 3 Legs/Butt
  • Day 5 Legs/Butt
  • Day 6 Arms/Shldrs
  • Day 7 Chest/Back

I love everything she says and how she says it. I love that her goal is to "get beginners moving in the right direction" and "help them get their bodies ready to start getting fit". (These are not the exact quotes.)

If I were production, I would have done several tweaks. One example: I would have asked her to do longer cardio such as maybe at least 6 minutes instead of less than 2. The modifier barely moves, so I don't think 6 minutes would have scared many away. I also would have asked her to give a lot more form pointers because her audience might be completely clueless. Even though she didn't consult with me on how to do this DVD (LOL), I think it can get somebody normally glued to the couch to say, "Hey. Maybe I can do this with her. Maybe it will be kind of fun and maybe it won't kill me." This couch-potato can then start to train his/her brain to get moving, and the daily but very small volume of core work I think will really move the couch potato towards "getting that body ready to work on fitness" (again not an exact quote).

She does a yelling/foot-stomping thing that can be a deal breaker for plenty of people. It is neutral to me. I forced myself to stop having deal breakers like that when I really liked the JCore workouts but Jay himself drove me nuts with his non-stop talking. I finally told myself, "This person is a real human being in the real world. He has friends and family that love him. His training style is what he has chosen, and he doesn't choose his style to please me."

Now that I've done the sort-of-messed up second Arms/Shldrs, I think the only workout values for a person who already exercises might be:
  • Motivation for times when the exerciser has gotten into a slump. (unless there are deal breakers: the yelling/foot-stomping thing, the acutal work that is done)
  • Arms/Shldrs, the first one, might be good to train the brain on slow and heavy. She doesn't go heavy but she does go slowish. There are only 2 sets of 8 rather than the 4 or 5 sets pushed by my live class trainer. Doing only 2 sets might ease that beginning "Oh My! These feel so heavy to my hands!!!" A beginner to "heavy" might actually choose the right heavy instead of babying it a bit due to fear and hand discomfort.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-21, 02:43 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyK View Post
Bubbles, I looked for my dvd last night and couldn't find it, I will look again this weekend.
But, I did come across a few others that might interest you, unfortunately I haven't tried them to give you any thoughts.

Leslie Salmon Jones-
Core Strength: Back to Basics
Core Power Radiate the Energy Within
www.lesliesalmonjones.com

Anowa Adjah-
Lose the Gutt Keep the Butt
Plyometric Pump
Full Body Curve Down
www.anowaadjah.com

Buffie Carruth-
Bodynomics Grade A Glutes
The Summer Body Countdown
www.brickbuilt.com
Penny, I somehow overlooked this post when you originally posted it, but thank you for those links! I like the look of several of these workouts. It's always nice for us vidiots to have new (to us) content to peruse
Old 03-28-21, 03:27 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
african american, black fitness instructor, lorraine gantt, own your age, wendy ida