Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-21, 02:36 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Two weeks in as of today trying Pahla.

Pros:
-- I like her and her workouts are doable without injury.

Cons:
-- I gained nearly 3 lbs in two weeks. But I'm still cycling regularly and I always lose at the beginning and then just gain back what I lost during the end of my cycle.

So, I don't know. I have been tracking calories and macros since last summer. I've gone high calorie, low calorie, high protein, balanced diet. Everything. Nothing works for me. There isn't a magic calorie formula for me. I think I'll stop tracking it all for a bit actually.

I like Pahla's message a lot, and maybe it's good for women who are through the perimenopause stages and aren't cycling anymore. For me, it's hard to eat a consistent number of calories when I naturally eat less at the beginning of my cycle and then more at the end. But I am drinking a lot more water now than before.

I just don't know if I can keep going with just Pahla alone. I think I need more movement. So I'm going to go back to my usual workouts, but now that I know what "moderate" feels like, I'm going to try to keep it mostly moderate for most of the time and keep walking every other day. I'll keep it to between 30 mins to 60 mins and finish with a CS stretch most days.

I now fully understand that exercise won't do a darn thing for this weight gain, but moving more makes me feel good at least. I just won't overdo it now since I know I can get injured at the drop of a hat!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 03:09 PM  
donnamp

Oh my, primrosecat, I would focus on what your doctor recommends regarding PT - it sounds like you need that to get back on your feet and that is most important. Since you had issues w/ anemia I would also see what your doctor recommends in terms of a "diet" - and weight loss. While 'eating the right number of calories' is important to weight loss, you don't want to end up anemic again.

I think PT is going to be most helpful to deal with pain and increase your function and ability to be independent, I would focus on that before the weight loss.

Lori - well, at least you gave it a try...it sounds like you didn't really gain weight or lose any - since you said your weight normally fluctuates. And, yes, avoiding injury is important! And, Pahla doesn't have to be all or nothing, you can definitely do what you did before and the once in awhile throw in a Pahla workout for a change of pace.

More than anything else these days I find I need to listen to my body. I was briefly tempted by Jessica's new set, but I know there are some mornings where my body is like - no way - we are not doing that - and I think not listening to those signals is how we end up getting hurt...

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 09:15 PM  
primrosecat

Thank you for your support, Donna. I'm not able even to go in to do PT, and I'm following a high iron diet which is working in restoring my hemoglobin level. I guess what I might need is a dvd recommendation for pain for lower back and hips/legs which I can do at home, plus losing weight. I cannot bend over forward, so anything featuring that is out of the question, I guess. Thanks
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 06:24 AM  
donnamp

primrosecat - would you be able to get in home PT? I know that some PT providers will come to your house. For PT type stuff, I like Jessica Valent - she has a You Tube channel as well as a paid membership site. She offers a lot of content on You Tube which is essentially shorter versions of her paid content. Without knowing what issues you have going on in your back/hips/legs it is hard to know what to recommend - but her stuff is pretty good.

Donna
Old 03-09-21, 10:09 AM  
Scorpio6

Have you tried Joyce Vedral?? She can even tell you how long it will take for the weight loss to happen if you faithfully do the program.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 04:09 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Donna -- you're right, I think if I mix in other workouts with Pahla I may find may it easier to keep things moderate. The new Jessica set does seem intriguing, but way too expensive for me. I really like her but I wish it was her fusion stuff instead.

Primrosecat -- I was diagnosed with anemia a couple of years ago. I nearly needed a transfusion. I started taking iron pills but they wrecked my intestines. And I tried every variety of iron I could find! So I switched to just eating a high iron diet and started taking small amounts of lactoferrin and riboflavin, since those are iron cofactors. I ate eggs for breakfast, red meat for lunch with some liverwurst, spinach (cooked not raw), beef jerky for snacks, and lots of dried fruit for the vitamin C (which is need for iron absorption). I made sure I had some sort meat a few times a day. I also drank orange juice with every meal that had red meat. I also switched to all whole wheat products since it's higher in iron. I even ate blackstrap molasses by the tablespoonful or mixed in warm water a few times a day. I felt better in a few months. I was only allowed to walk and keep workouts easy. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

Scorpio6 -- yep, I tried Joyce. I didn't click with her at all. My problem with weight loss is perimenopause. My cycles are horrendous and I balloon up every month at the end of my cycle. It's been like for 3 years now, and no end in sight.
Old 03-12-21, 08:38 AM  
primrosecat

That you Donna and Lori, those are great suggestions. I will check about in home therapy, wow. And I am on a permanent iron enriching diet, and now have more ideas to add to my diet! There's also a great thread going on about back pain I've been checking out that's good. Thanks so much.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-21, 02:15 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Back to Pahla B after a week off.

I hurt my knee yet again simply from bending awkwardly to put a weight down from a Cathe Live workout. Getting old is the worst. So once this isn't sore anymore, I'm just doing Pahla's workouts until I can get my mindset right. I actually cancelled my Cathe Live subscription, so I mean business.

I keep watching her Q and A's and I realize I made two critical errors when I did her workouts a couple weeks ago:
-- I wasn't eating enough calories. I was trying to just consume btwn 1400-1500. And based on my current weight, I really should be up at 2000.
-- I still wanted to do more. But as she says, more is not more. More is what's making it harder. So this time, keeping with just her workouts. No more, no less.

Water is pretty easy to keep up with since I work from home. But sleep sucks though. Perimenopause is the worst. I'm awake on/off 3-5 am every night now. Just wide awake. I fall asleep as soon as I get in bed and then boom just wide awake. So frustrating. And apparently mindset work is likely what I need to work on the most...

Onward...
Old 03-15-21, 02:25 PM  
donnamp

Yes, Lori - onward! I hope it works.....

I have the same issues w/ sleep - can fall asleep, can't stay asleep - I do better here and there w/ it. But I am up pretty often during the night.

Donna
Old 03-15-21, 02:32 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Back to Pahla B after a week off.

I hurt my knee yet again simply from bending awkwardly to put a weight down from a Cathe Live workout. Getting old is the worst. So once this isn't sore anymore, I'm just doing Pahla's workouts until I can get my mindset right. I actually cancelled my Cathe Live subscription, so I mean business.

I keep watching her Q and A's and I realize I made two critical errors when I did her workouts a couple weeks ago:
-- I wasn't eating enough calories. I was trying to just consume btwn 1400-1500. And based on my current weight, I really should be up at 2000.
-- I still wanted to do more. But as she says, more is not more. More is what's making it harder. So this time, keeping with just her workouts. No more, no less.

Water is pretty easy to keep up with since I work from home. But sleep sucks though. Perimenopause is the worst. I'm awake on/off 3-5 am every night now. Just wide awake. I fall asleep as soon as I get in bed and then boom just wide awake. So frustrating. And apparently mindset work is likely what I need to work on the most...

Onward...
Lori,

You're right - getting older is a pain! I find myself having a swollen knee with no idea what I did to cause it.

Hang in there - I think the calorie thing - eating too little - is absolutely right. Our bodies go into starvation mode if we don't give them enough fuel. And it is easy to over do when all our lives we've been told to push, push, push.

As for sleep, well, for me a good night's sleep is a thing of the past. I fall asleep easily, but I don't stay there.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pahla bowers, rotation, rotations, success stories, successful weight loss, system, systems, weight loss