Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-21, 01:21 PM  
kristieschultz1

Just Dumbells Workouts other than KCM

HI Everyone,
Getting back into doing heavier weights and looking for workouts with less equipment. Some of Cathe's newer ones look fantastic but I don't want to lug out my step and risers for every workout. I already have some KCM, so wanted to supplement with another instructor. Other than KCM, who can you suggest for good, thorough, challenging full body weight workouts that just use plain old dumbells? thanks!!!!!
kristieschultz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 02:10 PM  
bubbles76

MetRX
Chris Freytag - 10 Pound Slim down and 10 Pound Slim down Extreme
Jari Love
Kathy Smith
Gilad - he has a few that use hands but most are dumbbells
Erin O'Brien
Andrea Metcalf
Montenegro Method
Jillian Michaels, I am pretty sure
Charlene Xtreme

That is all I can think of for now. There may be others, like Body Beast, P90X and all its cousins, Rob Glick, Xtrainfit, but I am sure they also throw in weight benches, steps, ankle weights, etc at some point in the workout.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 03:13 PM  
wendug

Tracie Long
Old 02-28-21, 04:03 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Tracie Long
I was gonna say Tracie Long. But sometimes she uses a bands, a ball, or step. Very easy to modify without though.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 02-28-21, 04:40 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I was gonna say Tracie Long. But sometimes she uses a bands, a ball, or step. Very easy to modify without though.
Definitely not all Tracie workouts fit her requirements, but I'm thinking of the Reboots, Stronger Longers, and Longevity workouts. Mostly dumbells with just a medball thrown in here and there (and you could sub in a light dumbbell).
Old 02-28-21, 06:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

tom holland - his own workouts called "Total Body Workout" and "Total Body Workout II" and Supreme 90.

tony horton - P90 masters - some are bodyweight. P90x is also very good, but some have pull-up moves. either you can do an actual pull-up or modify with bands, so technically, it's more than just dumbbells. but other than that, it's very dumbbell-based.

body bar is also another good series which you can sub with dumbbells.

core secrets is also good - you use a ball with your dumbbells. technically, it's more than dumbbells, but you feel worked in the way gunnar designed these workouts.

tony little's body express series is just dumbbells. people worry he'll bust out his viking hat and antics, but tony is just a straight up instructor in this set, with great music. most of the workouts in this series are 50 min or less.

cory everson's basic sculpting system. this one is only on vhs.

the above are mostly "body builder" style workouts. i would have recommended joyce vedral, but only her book workouts. i love joyce, but most of her videos paces can be fast except for a few, and she uses lighter weights. if you are OK with joyce's videos, slow duet has a reasonable pace.

some of cathe's older basic workouts might fit the bill - slow and heavy, pyramids, pure strength, gym styles come to mind.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 06:28 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Definitely not all Tracie workouts fit her requirements, but I'm thinking of the Reboots, Stronger Longers, and Longevity workouts. Mostly dumbells with just a medball thrown in here and there (and you could sub in a light dumbbell).
Yes! The Stronger Longer dvds are my favorite Tracie dvds
Old 02-28-21, 06:28 PM  
upperwside

If you are a Beachbody member they have Lift 4 and MBF (muscle burns fat).. Also Body beast. If you subscribe to Kelly's RAW channel.. She has lots of new options that use heavier weights and no other equipment. Also Powerstrike Athletica is amazing, just dumbbells. You can stream all her Athletica workouts or buy a few on dvd. I'm doing her streaming right now and love it. Heavy weights and total body movements.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 06:35 PM  
upperwside

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
MetRX
Chris Freytag - 10 Pound Slim down and 10 Pound Slim down Extreme
Jari Love
Kathy Smith
Gilad - he has a few that use hands but most are dumbbells
Erin O'Brien
Andrea Metcalf
Montenegro Method
Jillian Michaels, I am pretty sure
Charlene Xtreme

That is all I can think of for now. There may be others, like Body Beast, P90X and all its cousins, Rob Glick, Xtrainfit, but I am sure they also throw in weight benches, steps, ankle weights, etc at some point in the workout.
Please don't take this the wrong way.. But this list is all older workouts. I have and love them all. This makes me miss old school DVDs and new workouts. Where are all the new heavy weight stuff? Beachbody has a few, but anything else recent? I love Cathe and Kelly's streaming and DVDs and so thankful they are still releasing workouts and their streaming is reasonably priced.. But sometimes you want to get excited over something new and fresh. Maybe there is a a lot I just don't know about. Some on YouTube.....
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 06:44 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way.. But this list is all older workouts. I have and love them all. This makes me miss old school DVDs and new workouts. Where are all the new heavy weight stuff? Beachbody has a few, but anything else recent? I love Cathe and Kelly's streaming and DVDs and so thankful they are still releasing workouts and their streaming is reasonably priced.. But sometimes you want to get excited over something new and fresh. Maybe there is a a lot I just don't know about. Some on YouTube.....
No offense taken. I took the OP literally when she said no extra equipment and all I could think of was older workouts. Even Cathe and Jessica newer workouts on dvd still use high step, step bench or bands. Tracie's Signature Series use dumbbells and optional ankle weights and yoga block. Probably have better luck with streaming and YouTube for newer stuff with just weighta

Tags
6 week sweat off, david jack, dumbbell workouts, dumbbells, sean garner