Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-21, 07:28 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
This morning I did the last one I hadn't already done, the Abs, Buns, and Thighs workouts from the Personal Trainer series. This is two 25-minute routines, but the way the DVD is chaptered it was easier to just do them both together. Wow, this is probably my new favorite of everything I've done in this rotation! It burned SO many calories and even though all the aerobics were low-impact, my heart got pumping! This is co-led by Michelle and Kim, who have appeared in some of Jane's other videos. If you string everything together like I did, you'll get six aerobic segments interspersed with toning segments, and two stretches. Everything is honestly very easy, but where it's effective is in its repetition. The sound is mixed well, and everybody looks like they're having a great time. The music is even pretty good, too. And I find I like the smaller class; it's just the three of them, with Jane doing lower-intensity and Michelle or Kim (depending on which one is leading) doing higher. Jane focuses on warm-up, cool-down, and the toning segments, which are almost entirely chair-assisted. The only other negative, though, is that there is truly barely any actual "buns" toning going on here, and for anyone used to doing slightly more intense weight training, the toning segments feel a bit wimpy. Again, doing both 25-minute segments together for a full 50-minute session will help you feel like you did more.

I'm definitely going to keep doing Jane, having slotted all her workouts into various appropriate categories of pilates, yoga, and aerobic weight training/cross-training, and as I go through these different modalities as part of my regular fitness regime, I'll keep using her stuff. I may also dig into the stuff only available on YouTube.

I hope this has been fun for everybody following along and doing Jane, too!
I like Abs, Buns and Thighs, the aerobics are low impact but enjoyable. The toning is light, but I have been known to hold a light pair of weights to up the intensity a little. Nothing too hefty because the reps do add up for some of the exercises.

I am glad to see Favorite Fat Burners on YT, I will give that one a go soon.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 09:15 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I first started doing video workouts in '88 with Jane's Start Up and her Light Aerobics and Stress Reduction, but got into it more seriously in '99. The Abs, Buns and Thighs routines from Personal Trainer set were a stable that I did once or twice a week for 2 or 3 years, though only one routine at a time. I would often add some arm work or stretch, but the 25 minute workout felt like enough and worthwhile. I just bought another copy, though I'm sure I have the DVD version somewhere. We've been moving and remodeling for over two years now and half my stuff is packed up.

I also bought Lower Body Solution after reading about it here and have done the floor work once already. A lot of reps. This is one of the few Jane workouts from back then that I never owned but that floor work is perfect for me when my knees are giving me grief. I don't use ankle weights. The cardio even looks worth trying, though there are a lot of cardio routines on Jane's DVDs that I don't like.

And I ordered three of her newer ones. I don't like that crowded living room set with the clear acrylic chair, but the strength one looks like something I'll use. I also got the cardio and strength ones from her latest set. Worth trying as I need workouts I can do when my hand and/or knee arthritis acts up. Plus there's just something about ageing along with an instructor that's appealing. Feels cozy, familiar and novel at the same time.

Thanks for doing this, kat.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 10:06 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Plus there's just something about ageing along with an instructor that's appealing. Feels cozy, familiar and novel at the same time.

Thanks for doing this, kat.
You're all very welcome! I'm so glad this has inspired so many. I think what I've gathered overall is that Jane's workouts are indeed great for all ages, regardless of who they were initially targeted for, and that they're very easy to make harder or easier depending on where you're at that day. There's so many options, and even in ones with fussy choreography, you can catch back up pretty easily. It is also cozy to age along with an instructor. I realize that Jane's been kind of humming along in the background of my entire life. One of the first movies I ever saw in a theater was 9 to 5, and nowadays I love her on Grace and Frankie. Jane's a little older than my father, so it's sort of like having this extra parental figure that you can see at different stages of life and who both guides and entertains. It's also rare that a celebrity fitness person known more for their artistic endeavors doesn't just do one or two videos for a quick cash grab and calls it quits; I feel like Jane really believes in this stuff (even though I know a lot of it early on was to fund her then-husband's political career). If that were the only reason, she probably wouldn't have done her more recent series.
Old 02-03-21, 12:42 PM  
susand

hello, everyone. i wanted to relate that her walk cassettes -jane fondas walkout and weight loss walk, are available for mp3 download at amazon. i have used those since first getting them in the 80's.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 01:24 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
hello, everyone. i wanted to relate that her walk cassettes -jane fondas walkout and weight loss walk, are available for mp3 download at amazon. i have used those since first getting them in the 80's.
Thank you!!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 04:04 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
Very cool, Susan! Thanks for that info!

ETA: I just checked, and these are also available streaming on Spotify! Woo!

Last edited by kat999; 02-03-21 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarification
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 07:11 PM  
susand

great! i am glad to share! i converted those from cassette tape to mp3 with some kind of conversion device i got awhile ago but much easier to get from amazon!
susand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss