Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-20, 03:50 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
This is me too.

I’ve got about 30 extra pounds and then add in hypothyroidism and I feel hopeless. I’ve tried cutting back on workouts, increasing workouts, mor strength, more rest and nothing is working.

I’m trying to increase my vegetables and decrease my sugar so we’ll see what happens

I love the idea of a check in
I know I would benefit from hearing what others are experiencing (and have experienced). I feel so utterly alone in this and looking at the calendar makes me think I've only got years of this crap ahead of me.

Also, been there done that -- for about 2 1/2 years now, I've tried every type of training (and months of no training), lots of cardio, no cardio, just walking, just CS, just weights, and combinations of everything. Food wise, I've also run the gambit. I increased my veggies, cut sugar, increased protein, decreased fat, tried fasting. I even went gluten free for about 6 months last year. Nothing has worked. It's just a freight train that I am helpless against.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 01:48 AM  
Scorpio6

bumping
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-20, 10:23 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I've never started a check-in before, nor been a part of one, but I'll go start one now. I don't have a creative name for it though. Come share your experiences!
Old 12-19-20, 11:54 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela View Post
156. I was 154 when I had my daughter - like right before she was born.
Haha, me too! The last time I weighed what I weigh now was when I was pregnant--like, right at the end pregnant! So depressing, but I feel like I have to wryly laugh or I'll go nuts.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 12:27 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Haha, me too! The last time I weighed what I weigh now was when I was pregnant--like, right at the end pregnant! So depressing, but I feel like I have to wryly laugh or I'll go nuts.
I actually weigh more now currently than when I was 9 months pregnant. I weighed 178 when I gave birth 16 years ago. I only gained about 20 pounds when pregnant. I lost it all and then some after.

In 2013, I regained a few pounds. Then started gaining a few pounds a year since then. I thought I was putting on muscle since my clothes all fit well. Hah!

I weighed 168 in August 2018. Now I weigh 198. (Well, I stopped checking a few months ago, so it's likely even higher now.)

So there's that...
Old 12-19-20, 02:15 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I weighed 168 in August 2018. Now I weigh 198. (Well, I stopped checking a few months ago, so it's likely even higher now.)
I never had kids so my experience isn't quite like yours, but I weighed a reasonable amount until a few years ago when I was hit with the double whammy of perimenopause and Hashimoto thyroiditis.

I'm 57, just under 5'7", and I'm hovering around 200 lbs. I never had a flat stomach, but it's a bummer having a menopot. Strangely, my clothes still fit me, with a few exceptions, so I'm trying not to fret too much. It's like I'm a Polish sausage...more is getting stuffed into my casing. (That makes me laugh because my ethnic background is mostly Polish. )

And my health is otherwise good...good BP, resting pulse, etc. I weighed 145 in 8th grade, so I knew I was not going to grow up to be a thin person, but I HATE weighing this much.

Since my periods stopped artificially because I had an endometrial ablation, I don't know if I've reached menopause or not. But I want to know because everyone says once you reach it some weight will start coming off. I'm not willing to eat like a bird for the rest of my life.

I guess I just need to keep doing the good stuff that I'm doing and not worry too much.

This post is really long...if you're still reading, thank you. I just wanted to express my ongoing personal frustration and let you know that I'm more or less in the same boat with you.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-20, 06:55 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I actually weigh more now currently than when I was 9 months pregnant. I weighed 178 when I gave birth 16 years ago. I only gained about 20 pounds when pregnant. I lost it all and then some after.

In 2013, I regained a few pounds. Then started gaining a few pounds a year since then. I thought I was putting on muscle since my clothes all fit well. Hah!

So there's that...
I can't remember what advice has been given in the thread, but a friend had a similar problem to yours. She could only lose weight if she ate 800 calories a day, at least that's what she said. She had thyroid issues. Although her doctor said her thyroid was normal and was producing enough hormones. She went to naturopath who said that her thyroid produced enough hormones but her body wasn't converting it. She takes a liquid thyroid medicine and also a leptin supplement for the conversion. She says she's lost 65 pounds since doing this. TBH, I've always been suspicious of supplements and naturopaths, but she swears by it.
Old 12-19-20, 09:19 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I can't remember what advice has been given in the thread, but a friend had a similar problem to yours. She could only lose weight if she ate 800 calories a day, at least that's what she said. She had thyroid issues. Although her doctor said her thyroid was normal and was producing enough hormones. She went to naturopath who said that her thyroid produced enough hormones but her body wasn't converting it. She takes a liquid thyroid medicine and also a leptin supplement for the conversion. She says she's lost 65 pounds since doing this. TBH, I've always been suspicious of supplements and naturopaths, but she swears by it.
Thanks for the info. I had a full thyroid panel run last year (along with a zillion other tests) and thankfully it was deemed "normal". I don't really have any other low thyroid symptoms thankfully. Just all this weight gain in my breasts and abdomen. Still have slim legs and arms (thankfully!).
Old 12-19-20, 09:24 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
This post is really long...if you're still reading, thank you. I just wanted to express my ongoing personal frustration and let you know that I'm more or less in the same boat with you.
No, THANK YOU! I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in this. Any info or experiences are quite helpful!

I'm sorry you're also struggling with the weight gain. I'm only 5'4" so any amount of weight gain looks like double on me since I literally have no torso or waist. It's now just big heavy boobs and a huge menopot. I wish I was 5'7"!
Old 12-20-20, 12:40 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

A bit off topic. A few years ago AARP sent us a brochure saying how we could save a ton on health insurance if we went to their plan. I filled out the 200 page application with every ailment I'd ever had since I was 5.

We were refused.

The reason stated on the refusal?

"Menopause."

What the......????

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gall bladder, menopause, menopause barbie, menopause taylor, post-menopause