Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-20, 12:24 PM  
kat999

Sports bra recs: very specific wants

I've been struggling to find a sports bra I really like, and I realized today that my favorite one is a Champion special version made for Target many years ago that isn't available anymore. I'm looking for something like it, and when I search for "most comfortable sports bras," I get recs that are the exact opposite of what I mean by "comfort," I guess.

Looking for one that meets the following criteria:

- No padding, or at least make the padding fully removable. I get the point of padding, I suppose, but I'm tired of the cookie pads coming out or flipping around or otherwise being a nuisance. I'd rather the bra fit well enough to not really necessitate padding, and I've found that plain cotton or a cotton/spandex blend is lined enough to not make it a big deal.

- I prefer light support in the form of more of a "bralette" style, almost like the bust of a camisole with a built-in shelf.

- Non-fussy straps. Nothing overly ornamental (like none of these with eight criss-crosses down the back). I'd prefer spaghetti style, but I'm fine with thicker straps. I like the thinner straps, though, because then I can wear a thinner tank top with it.

- I'd prefer a closure of some kind, either front or back, but pull-on is okay as long as it's not so lacking in stretch that getting in and out of it requires Herculean effort.

- Absolutely nothing even remotely resembling an underwire.

In essence, I'm looking for something EXTREMELY light and comfortable. I have some that are so firmly supportive that I basically can't wear them out of a sense that they're about to crush my ribs (and no, they're not the wrong size, even).

I tried looking for current Champion models, even though this "CG" special edition for Target is gone, and they all fail in one of the above metrics. I'd prefer it not be super expensive, but I'm willing to splurge a little if it's really, really good.
Old 09-12-20, 01:15 PM  
jusca

Have you considered getting a custom bra? Sometimes it's necessary when the market isn't producing what you want and you have great details on the exact things you're looking for.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 01:24 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Have you considered getting a custom bra? Sometimes it's necessary when the market isn't producing what you want and you have great details on the exact things you're looking for.
It's not a bad idea, but sadly I'm not finding any sources for a customized sports bra in particular. There are some sites that offer customized regular bras, though they are limited. I feel like hiring someone to make what I want might be cost prohibitive.
Old 09-12-20, 01:26 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/897122784

I recently bought these Camo and Grey Heather front zip sports bras from Walmart.com when I was having shoulder issues. They have removable pads and are surprisingly comfortable. I leave the pads in for running or higher impact workouts (fit more snug), and remove them for weight workouts. I’m going to order a couple more.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 01:49 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post

I recently bought these Camo and Grey Heather front zip sports bras from Walmart.com when I was having shoulder issues. They have removable pads and are surprisingly comfortable. I leave the pads in for running or higher impact workouts (fit more snug), and remove them for weight workouts. I’m going to order a couple more.
Oo, those actually look very close to something I would like! Thanks!
Old 09-12-20, 04:12 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Oo, those actually look very close to something I would like! Thanks!
Great! Yeah, I ordered a size up after I read reviews that it ran small. I take the pads out to wash in the machine and hang to dry (and hand wash the pads separately). So far they are holding up after 3-4 weeks of use.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 10:50 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post

These look like smthg I might like for hiking. By the time I've worn even a light pack for 3 hours it feels like so much work to pull a bra off over my head. Thanks for the tip!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-20, 07:23 AM  
Izzy

To the OP, these were my favorite sports bras as well. I have two. And I have been searching to the ends of the earth to find something similar. I continue to wear my two just washing them all the time. Thank you for starting this thread. I want to add these bras were (are) mostly cotton) with just a little spandex in them. Most sports bras are all spandex and for me so uncomfortable. I have even searched for cotton sports bras and they are just not out there. I will check out those Walmart ones.
Old 09-13-20, 09:13 AM  
wendug

I have never tried this brand, but Pact makes organic cotton clothing, including sports bras. This bra is over the head kind, but it does have good reviews.

https://wearpact.com/women/underwear...ra/wa1-wht-blk
Old 09-13-20, 01:14 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I have never tried this brand, but Pact makes organic cotton clothing, including sports bras. This bra is over the head kind, but it does have good reviews.

https://wearpact.com/women/underwear...ra/wa1-wht-blk
I actually looked up Pact stuff after I made this thread and may grab that one, too! I have some of their shirts and dresses and they are insanely soft.

Tags
bras, sports bra, sports bras