Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-19, 05:20 PM  
sherry7899

SI Joint injury

At the end of July I somehow injured my SI joint. I don't know what I did. I had been consistently doing dance cardio (low impact), kickboxing (low impact) and plenty of yoga and stretching.

It is just now about 90 percent healed. It has been so frustrating not being able to do anything but stretching and walking for six weeks. I got back to dance workouts and yoga (not full length dance workouts yet) this week. It felt so good to move again!

The area is still a little tender/tight. I am really itching to do Body Combat and lift weights again. How do you know when it's safe to go back to certain types of exercise? I am thinking of sticking to dance/yoga/stretching for at least another week. I am afraid of hurting myself again.

Thanks !
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 05:31 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Oh, I so sympathize and feel your pain!! I don't have any advice for you other than take. it. slow.

I injured mine some years ago (also have no idea what caused it) and it took so long to get better. I wasn't able to lift weights or do impact cardio for the longest time and it just sucked. The worst part was feeling like I was ready to attempt something, attempting it and feeling pretty good, only to end up in horrible pain an hour or so after finishing the workout, never during, so I could never really gauge where I was at.

What eventually helped me (and this is just my experience, not anything I'm suggesting for you) was to quit practicing yoga, because I think my issue stemmed from some hypermobility problems the yoga was aggravating. That was really hard for me because I loved my yoga, but feeling better was worth it.

I hope someone else has better advice!! Hang in there!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 06:52 PM  
OSusanna

Yes I have been there. I sprained the right SI joint area while snowshoeing. The joint had been locked up and my snowshoe was too much for it. I did PT for quite awhile and my therapist helped me determine when to start impact activities.

I’ve since gone through 2 other times with a locked SI and now I’m just careful about impact overall. Quick stops and starts aren’t really a good idea but careful step aerobics and jump rope with really good form have been fine.
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 12:25 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sherry, sorry you’ve had such an ordeal with your SI! I had a bad bout with mine a few years ago. I can only say what works for me, but I would definitely take it slow. I am still cautious with any twisty moves, especially if I’m using weights. Kickboxing moves are another thing I’m cautious with, I will only do low impact kickboxing workouts that don’t move at a fast pace. Those are the two things I feel could set mine off again, but everyone is different.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 10:56 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Sherry, sorry you have had to be hurting.

I always err on the side of caution. One can't have a SI replacement! Maybe try your favorite weight workouts without weights and see how you feel.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 04:24 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the sympathy, empathy and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I did do an hour of my favorite dance today (a Soul Sweat class). My back tightened up a few hours afterwards, but with pacing around it loosened up again. I also did a Yoga with Adriene practice and meditation. That all makes me happy It was so hard not to be able to exercise and also not to be able to do the cooking/baking that I really enjoy since I could not stand for long periods of time. Injuries take a toll on you mentally as well as physically. I could tell my mood was really affected by not exercising or spending the time in the kitchen that I really enjoy.

Alta, that is a good idea to try a weight workout without weights. I may do that next week. Thank you !

kittybug-I am lucky that yoga helps me. I am very careful with what I do, and do not push myself past my limits.

Laura-I miss Body Combat SO much, but I will get back to it eventually. Maybe in a week or two I will do part of a dance workout and then try the warmup from a Body Combat class.

Pam-I never do jumping in kickboxing, so at least I don't have something I had to give up!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 09:02 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Sherry - so sorry to hear this. Glad you are improving!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injuries, injury, injury response, si joint