Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-04-03, 11:10 AM  
pshmn

Weighted/Genie/Medicine Balls?

Hi,

I've been enjoying this site for a while and really benefit from all the great advice. I'm finally coming out from the shadows--this is my first post.

Can anyone tell me the difference between weighted balls versus genie balls and medicine balls? More importantly, what are good videos for using them?

I first saw the Genie Balls being used in Karen's Great Weighted Workout and I've read threads about other Karen videos, like Streamlined Fitness. I *think* Leslie Sansone also used weighted balls? But I don't know which the specific name of the video, or if there are any other instructors who used these balls.

Finally, what are the benefits of getting a weighted ball versus just using a dumbell?

Thanks for the advice.
pshmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 12:26 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Smile Hello!

Welcome to VF and thanks for posting! The green genie balls are small, squishy balls that weigh about 3 pounds. Medicine balls are firmer and larger, and they are available in a wide range of weights. If you are looking to start out, I would recommend a 4 pound medicine ball. You can use it for many workouts, from Cathe to the Firm to CIA. I do like the green genies for some of Karen V's workouts, and also have used it for the Firm at times; they are easy to grip in one hand, and feel kind of nice. You can substitute a dumbbell for several exercises where a medicine ball is used, but there are some exercises where a dumbbell would not be a good substitute, particularly with certain abdominal exercises and during cardio with arm movements holding the ball. There is also something about the weight distribution and shape of the ball versus the dumbbell that makes it easier and more enjoyable to use. Hope that helps.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 12:32 PM  
pshmn

Thanks Abbe G

Thanks for your help! Now I understand better. So I suppose I can just choose whichever type of *ball* I like in terms of weight and consistency and just use those for other workouts using medicine/genie/weighted balls.

I had thought they would be pretty transferable across workouts but wasn't absolutely sure.

I'll probably get a set now because abs are one of my favorite parts to target.

Anyone else has advice for good videos to use with these balls? Which Cathe and CIA workouts do you use your medicine ball with Abbe G?

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-03, 12:52 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I use the medicine ball with Cathe's Intensity Series dvds (she uses one) and with Mindy Mylrea's (can't remember the names).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 01:33 PM  
lissalaurel76

Not all medicine balls are firmer. I have soft medicine balls. Reebok makes them, as well as a few others. I have 3 and 5 pounds, both soft.

I think Leslie's, though, are filled with water and only weigh about 2 pounds. There are some new Tae Bo's that will be coming out (or are they already out) that use the same type of balls Leslie uses, or very similar. Those take the place of light weight dumbbells. Its just easier for your hands, I guess. I never used those, I just replace them with light weight dumbbells.
lissalaurel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 01:36 PM  
sherry7899

If you have the store Ross near you, they sell a set of "yoga balls" that are two pounds each. The set of two is only five dollars!

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 06:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have a 5-lb. ball that I use in the Firm's Super Cardio Mix. It's a fun alternative. I have a 3-lb. ball, but have only used it in GWW. Bought both at Walmart for a good price.

Laura
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-03, 10:09 PM  
pshmn

I'm sold

THANK YOU ALL for the great advice.

I bought a set of genie balls to use with my GWW and am looking forward to using them in KV's other workouts.

But, after hearing you all talk about medicine balls, I went to Collage and checked out Mindy's medicine ball workout videos and I think I might try those out too! Medicine Ball Training and Intensity Express (I think that's what it's called?) looked particularly promising.
Old 11-04-03, 10:40 PM  
Megan
VF Supporter

Thanks for brining this up, pshmn, I've been wondering the same thing!

Are there any particular brand names to look for in medicine and/or genie balls? Where is the best place to buy online?

Tags
green genies, squishy weighted balls, weighted balls