Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-25-17, 03:50 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be? those candied yams/sweet potatoes with marshmallows. ruins a perfectly good vegetable, IMHO

2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving?My DH is in retail, but he actually doesn't have to work on Thanksgiving Day so it's our time together, all day, so we stay home and relax and take a walk without the pressure to do errands.

3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)? Well, since I'm late to this thread and it's already happened, my plan was to stay home this year and enjoy the day with DH. We traveled last year, took a wrong turn and got lost on the way home in the fog in the dark on a deserted highway that could have been in a horror movie plot and my DH had to pee for a good hour and a half before we got back into civilization--ick

4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic )Looking to buy a new pair of Altra running shoes if there are any decent deals. These shoes can be pricey but the wide toe box is so comfortable for my feet.

5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.) In the past there have been discussions about the delivery of a new Cathe series, those have toned down over the years. Reading the thread on the New Year's exercise-a-thon since by the time I decided I was going to participate there were no times left that I would be able to handle.

6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year? Accept myself more for who I am, working on my fitness for my health and well being and downplaying the aesthetics.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-17, 05:37 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
1. If you could get rid of any Thanksgiving staple food, what would it be?
I can't think of any answer that'd fit my initial reading of "get rid of," even foods that I don't make (see answer 2) or especially like. For example, if I were organizing a Thanksgiving-themed potluck and there weren't some strong reason to exclude certain foods, I wouldn't exclude anyone's suggestions or possible contributions simply because of my own tastes.

I do have thoughts on some particular foods, some mentioned earlier:

- I find cranberry sauce the least harmonious thing on the main plate (probably because of the mix of sweetness and astringency), but I also don't avoid making a cranberry-orange relish. Others like it at dinner, and I like eating my share--just separately.

- I don't make highly sweetened sweet potatoes (I stew them with fruit-based ingredients and don't use plain sugar because the finished product is sweet enough for us, and I don't add marshmallows), but I'll eat some at others' dinners, and not just to be "polite."

- I also don't make the usual green bean casserole. If any of you readers are unfamiliar with this casserole, it's not just any casserole with green beans but a particular kind of recipe, originally from Campbell's; it's "notable" enough that Wikipedia has a page about it. It uses condensed cream of mushroom soup as a sauce and some of those canned French-fried onions, some mixesd in and some as the topping.

I have another creamed vegetable dish that I'd prefer to cream; I also avoid using what I consider shortcut ingredients at family dinners, and I prefer to season food myself than rely on some soup maker's judgment. (If someone requested that I make this casserole, I'd be more likely to make a basic white sauce, add a wider selection of mushrooms, fry my own onions, and try other individual touches.) I don't hate the dish either, though--I don't even hate the soup itself--and eat this casserole when others serve it.

Yes, I'm a selective cook but not an incredibly picky eater.

Quote:
2. What is something you love to do around Thanksgiving? Or, who is someone you love to see around Thanksgiving?
I like cooking, heh. I tend to see the same people that I see the rest of the year.

Quote:
3. What are your plans for the upcoming holiday(s)?
I cooked for a small group (and enjoy doing so, or else I wouldn't be doing it ).

So far, I haven't been shopping; I've driven other people to look for bargains on Black Friday, but they asked me, I didn't ask them, and I've never led such a trip myself. I don't especially enjoy shopping for bargains, and I don't also enjoy large shopping crowds. I may shop today for a few things that I need to replenish and that I buy year-round.

Quote:
4. What fitness gift are you tempted/planning to buy yourself - especially given Black Friday and Cyber Monday? (Gotta keep this on topic )
If I do look for bargains sometime, I might look for yoga mats and the like. I might also look for the ever-rarer DVDs that are actually sold in stores (and fit my philosophy of fitness and what instructors should promote).

Quote:
5. What memory do you have of hanging out on VF over the holiday season (gift exchange, New Year's exercise-a-thon, holiday workouts, something totally random, etc.)
New Year's; I might participate this year.

Quote:
6. What is one thing you want to do differently next year?
That's an easy answer: I'll ease back into fitness that's more of what I prefer. I should have more free time and more better-organized time, and an injury that I've been nursing for some time is improving.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-17, 05:21 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I just got home from visiting DH's family to find all the responses. Thanks for all the participation. It has been a fun thread.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
getting to know you, introductions