Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-14, 08:29 PM  
marmact

Criteria for streaming services?

It seems like every instructor out there is putting up a streaming channel. At this rate, by the end of the year, I will be more surprised if an instructor does NOT have her/his own streaming channel than if she/he does!

I'll probably sign up for one of these services sooner or later, but I'm leery right now of money draining away, as it seems that some services are just too new to offer much content, while others are beset by technical issues. So, I'm curious. Have you given thought to your personal criteria for a streaming service in terms of type of content, volume of content, frequency of new content updates, varying instructors, search/organization ability, freedom from technical glitches, price? Anything else?

And - how many services do you currently belong to? (Maybe someone will kindly put up a poll.) Do you keep them all or turn them on/off as the mood strikes? Do you feel tied to that service in order to get your money's worth?
Old 07-02-14, 08:47 PM  
caitlinpyle

I subscribe to the Gymbox (no issues, plus 20+ new workouts in multiple genres per WEEK) and SBF. I haven't done the Gymbox in a while but it is so cheap ($99 per year) that it's become a staple and I like knowing I can get a good step or Pilates or kickboxing workout whenever I want.

SBF is also really inexpensive at $80 per year and I will probably keep both... the way I look at it, I'm spending about $14 monthly for both services or $20 if I pay month to month, which is less than what it would cost my husband and I to go out for lunch... I've done SBF every single day since June 7, so I think it's worth it :-)

Barre, Indoor Walking, and Rebounding Lover

Favorites: Suzanne Bowen, Jessica Smith, Ellen Barrett
caitlinpyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 09:41 PM  
loverly7

I don't belong to a steaming service for exercise; I haven't taken that plunge yet. I look at it that I have so many amazing DVDs and don't really need steaming too. I have repeatedly eyed Yogaglo and will probably try it someday, but I have so many yoga DVDs it seems crazy to pay a monthly fee for it. (Don't enable me this time guys!) I have given thought to my criteria. I would want zero technical issues. I have no tolerance for technical problems, so no way would I be okay with problems (buffering, etc). I also expect high quality videos, no grainy ugly picture. I expect a variety of whatever is offered. For example, Yogaglo offers lots of practices, varying lengths, various styles, lots of different teachers, lots of yoga levels including beginners, etc. No way would I consider just one instructor. No way!!!! I had better stop now before I enable myself to get Yogaglo when I have firmly told myself NO for a long while since I have so many DVDs.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 11:55 PM  
Vee

...duplicate - deleted
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 12:29 AM  
Vee

My criteria:

1. Multi instructor - A decade ago signing up for cathe's streaming would have been a no brainier for me. I exclusively did Cathe. Now, I value variety in instructors so I don't see myself signing up at an individual instructor's site. The instructors at my streaming site must be creative, engaging and experts in their genre. My options are picked from gymbox, daily burn, udaya, yoga today and the like.

2. High production values: I find DVDs have an edge over many streaming sites in this aspect. I like music, sound quality, sets, to be better than average. I don't fancy large live classes with participants dressed like me (in any old thing). I like rehearsed classes that are executed in synchronicity, in good form.

3. Library size- I don't mind how often new content is uploaded as long as the library is large and it happens at least once every month or so.

4. Equipment minimalism - I don't use trx, spin bikes. I like sites that have a large selection of workouts with minimal, basic equipment.

5. Intensity and length - I like having options ranging from 20 min to 60 min at intermediate to high intensity.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 08:23 AM  
Rhonda

My criteria helps me from buying any streaming - I can't get it to play at home, not fast enough internet. So DVDs are the only way I can go.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 08:40 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverly7 View Post
I don't belong to a steaming service for exercise; I haven't taken that plunge yet. I look at it that I have so many amazing DVDs and don't really need steaming too. I have repeatedly eyed Yogaglo and will probably try it someday, but I have so many yoga DVDs it seems crazy to pay a monthly fee for it. (Don't enable me this time guys!) I have given thought to my criteria. I would want zero technical issues. I have no tolerance for technical problems, so no way would I be okay with problems (buffering, etc). I also expect high quality videos, no grainy ugly picture. I expect a variety of whatever is offered. For example, Yogaglo offers lots of practices, varying lengths, various styles, lots of different teachers, lots of yoga levels including beginners, etc. No way would I consider just one instructor. No way!!!! I had better stop now before I enable myself to get Yogaglo when I have firmly told myself NO for a long while since I have so many DVDs.
One thing that YogaGlo offers that I think is especially helpful is an app that allows you to "save" about 10 classes as downloads and then do them later. I don't remember exactly how it works, but it would be perfect for those times when you might be traveling with limited Internet access.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 09:02 AM  
deineira

I belong to two streaming sites currently...ART, which I joined a year ago, and My Yoga Online, which I just joined. I have joined and quit several: Buti (joined and quit twice after one month), SBF (reasonably priced but not my cup of tea), Barre 3 (ditto), Body by Simone (very little and very lame content).

I like sites to be $10 or less per month, MYO and ART fit that bill. I like variety, so I will likely have one or two subscriptions going at the same time, so cost is a factor for me. Even when I'm not doing ART, I Terri and am happy to give her $7 per month just because. The other sites I have to like and use, if not, then I turn them off. I can see keeping the MYO subscription even though I'll only do those once or twice per week because there is so much variety there, and I'm trying to get more Yoga in the mix.

Having a lot of content is also important to me, as well as ease in access and quality of streaming.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 09:03 AM  
Yelly

I don't necessarily have criteria. All I require is that I love it at the moment, and that it provides something inspiring.

The first one I subscribed to was Cathe, and I only canceled because I wanted to switch it up, as I always do. I will for sure go back to it, most likely when her new dvds are released, or whenever the mood strikes me to do one of her rotations with her newer stuff again. (I have all of her older dvds)

I also subscribed to Classical Stretch for one month. I will be going back to this one also. I did have some trouble with the streaming on this one, but after I contacted them about it they fixed it immediately.

I am currently subscribed to Buti, and while I definitely think it is overpriced, for me it is worth it because I love it so much! There is a huge library to choose from, and I look forward to these workouts like no others that I have. The music is great (although there are some nasty lyrics in some), and the workouts give me confidence. They're exactly what I need at the moment!

I'm also subscribed to Studio Sweat On Demand. I just got a spin bike, and there are some amazing workouts on here for spinning. I still need to get a TRX, but they have a ton of workouts that use it also, which I'm excited about too! This is definitely a keeper for me!

And last but not least, I'm subscribed to Udaya. I love absolutely everything about it! I've loved every instructor I've tried so far. The production value is amazing. The yoga is exactly what I want it to be. And I got in on the $9 deal, so I will most likely never quit this one. I love it so much!

Now that I'm into streaming, I honestly don't think I'll go back to dvds (with the exception of those few irresistible workouts only available on dvd). I'm already planning on transferring all of my dvds to an external hard drive, and streaming them through Plex. It's just so much simpler to me.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-14, 09:44 AM  
Irisg1

At this time, I only subscribe to "The Gymbox". I rarely ever buy dvd's these days, as I find that the Gymbox offers a ton of variety, and I've yet to become bored. If anything my one streaming membership has saved me money!

Tags
criteria, streaming services