Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-13, 08:06 PM  
Fidget Queen

Rebounding. Hormones. 20-Minute Workouts.

So I am on a serious mission to balance my hormones once and for all. I have been severely imbalanced my entire life and I am tired of losing my life to this. Among other things, I'm reading Woman Code, which has has been extremely enlightening. If anybody has suggestions or advice on hormone balancing, I'll take every piece of information I can get. I am on a mission. Anyway...

I keep hearing (reading) that rebounding is one of the best things you can do to start rebalancing hormones and clearing your lymph system. I've heard this for years, including on here.

Have any of you actually found this useful in this area for you? My parents are willing to help me buy one, as my mom wants to use it, too . And my birthday is coming up.

I very much want the Bellicon. I want it to be pretty, since it is going to be sitting in our living room and my SO hates owning anything, so if it's ugly, I'll never hear the end of it. I want to be insanely quiet, since, with a house full of concrete and an open floor (and stair) plan, you can hear everything, and I mean everything , that goes on in every corner of this house. But is the Bellicon the only one that will offer this? Is it really worth the price? It's going to take some little-girl whining and begging to get something this expensive. I'm actually not sure I've done that before. That was my sister's expertise .

It has also been suggested that until your hormones are well on their way to balanced, you shouldn't work hard or intensely for more than 20 minutes at a time (before your cortisol production kicks in). I sadly traded my FIRM Express. Any ideas for 20 minute or less workouts? I might own some, but I'm simply not thinking of them. I've been following this suggestion for two weeks now, and I've been able to exercise 5 days/week with no trouble and actually feeling very good over all. This has been a major revelation for me! I've been using Lauren Brooks' 12 minute kettlebell workout and some short TA webisodes. I still walk and stretch throughout the day. I'm going to be restarting Kundalini, as I know that has helped so many people with hormones.

Any and all words, advice or suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 08:18 PM  
JanaK

I have a Jumpsort and it is very quiet. I jump on it for a minute or two a few times throughout the day. When I got the Jumpsport early last year, I planned on possibly upgrading to a Bellicon, but I like the JS enough that I don't see a reason to.

Jessica Smith's Total Body Balance has 4 20 minute workouts on it.

Leah Sarago's Ballet Body Total Body dvd has 3 segments (I think they are around 20 minutes).

Tara Stiles This is Yoga has some shorter segments.

Any 10 minute solution dvd you could do two segments.

Lisa O'shea Qigong for Women has short qigong segments

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 04-20-13, 08:18 PM  
hotncmom

I am a fan of rebounding but I'm not sure whether the hormone/lymph effects are proven or just marketing/urban legend. I have a Jumpsport (upgraded from an Urban Rebounder), and I don't see any need to get a Bellicon anytime ever. It's quiet and meets my needs perfectly.

Have you considered Kundalini yoga? I have several Raviana DVD's and there are specific segments that do claim to stimulate certain glands to balance your hormones and pump lymph. I have been trying to fit it in regularly because 2 years ago when I did a segment almost every day, I was at my lowest weight since college and I felt better. That reminds me...let me try to get one in before bedtime!

I hope you start to feel better soon. Oops, I just went back and read your post again and realized that you already mentioned Kundalini.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 08:54 PM  
DirtDiva

I also have a Jumpsport, a 350 without the pedal mat. I notice they have new models now. Mine is insanely quiet and I chose it for its minimalistic size. I have it tucked in the corner of my gym and it has a very smooth bounce. Not sure about its hormone effect, but I love that I can do anything high impact on this if I'm feeling I need to back off.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 08:58 PM  
rosepetals

I have the cute pink 44 inch bellicon. It was worth the investment. In comparison to the urban rebounder there is no noise at all. The larger pad size makes it possible to do jumping jacks without worrying about running out of space.

Skin brushing can help the lymph.

Years ago I did a lymph cleanse that was a combination of pills and tincture from Nature's sunshine. It worked really well over several months. My lymph nodes in my legs were swollen, painful. I was in college sitting all day.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 01:44 AM  
laurajhawk

My Jumpsport (the kind without the petal mat) is absolutely silent. I love it!

I have just started Exhale Core Fusion 30-day sculpt and am liking it a lot. It's a 5-week rotation (6 days/week) of 20-minute workouts.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 07:45 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

There's always Classical Stretch...the episodes are 23 minutes. I struggle with hypothyroid and probably other issues and find I feel so much better with Miranda and Sahra's workouts.

You could always squeeze in a short Leslie. There's also Powerfit...those workouts are short.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 08:14 AM  
horsemom2

A cheap alternative to pump lymph is sitting and bouncing on a stability ball.
I have been adapting all sorts of workouts because wide plies open my hips.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 08:34 AM  
Bebop

For 20 min. or less workouts.... rebounding is so versatile you can always
pop in your fav. workout music and just freestyle for 20 min. OR
if it's in front of the TV - like mine - watch TV and jump.

I don't know about the hormone balancing benefits but I do know from experience I always feel good after I rebound. I seem to get that "runners high" which I usually don't get after aerobics not on the rebounder.

I agree - Leslie Sansone on the rebounder is fun.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 07:00 PM  
Fidget Queen

Thanks everyone!!

If the Jumpsort is that good, then I can totally see that being the one. I didn't realize it was so silent, too . The Bellicon is cute, but quiet is my main priority.

Thank you for the workout suggestions. I will be getting them. I am doing Classical Stretch about 3 or 4 times a week. They are my evening stretches. I love them and they make me feel so good. I actually bounced on my stability ball yesterday as I wrote this post!

I haven't figured out yet if doing 20 minutes of something in the morning and then about 20 minutes of Classical Stretch in the evenings is bad or not. I feel ok, but I don't know.

Thanks again and wish my hormones luck .
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hormones, rebounding, this is yoga