Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-12, 12:28 PM  
wendy2

Squishy weighted balls

I'm wondering where people have bought their smaller, fit-in-one-hand weighted balls, like the ones Tracie Long uses in her Reboot and other workouts. I have an old set, but they feel like they are only about 2 or maybe 3 pounds each, and they are leaking a black, sticky substance.

I looked at Walmart, but the set that looked small enough was only 2 pounds per ball, and the 5 and 8 pound balls were too big to hold in one hand...

I'm not sure what poundage I'm supposed to be using, either. When Tracie weaves that ball through her legs, I'm guessing 5-8 pounds would be good, but do they make small balls in that heavy of a weight?

I should probably have done some research online before asking here, but I figured I'd give VF a shot first

Thanks for any replies!

Wendy
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 12:35 PM  
debbied
VF Supporter

I have found them at Marshalls/TJ Maxx and Tuesday Morning. They all had Cathe's weighted balls. IIRC, the 8 pounder was around $8 and the 10 pounder was about $10. Danskin also makes some weighted balls that are sold at these stores, too.

Constantly in a state of gratitude.

Dream big because the only thing that can hold you back is a life without dreams. Sean O'Malley

If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. Jean Kerr
debbied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 01:16 PM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I got the Savasa balls from Amazon and like them very much. The 3# & 5# balls are really the same size and because they are squishy they can each be held in one hand. I don't know how large the 7# one is but I would guess it's the same size as the other two. (BTW, I think they're pretty - slightly muted in color and a bit iridescent.) There's a video clip on Amazon in which you can see the ball in the hands of someone so you can get an idea of the size of these balls.
Old 06-25-12, 02:02 PM  
wendy2

Judith and Debbie--thanks! I love the look of the Savasa balls, and also I had forgotten that Cathe carries weighted balls. I went to TJMaxx and Marshalls's today, convinced they would have something for me, but they were picked over. I think I'll go to Dunham's tonight--they carry the Fitness by Cathe line, so maybe they'll have the 5 and 8 pounders there... Actually, there might even be a Tuesday Morning at the same shopping center now that I think about it!

Thanks again

Wendy
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 02:21 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I got my Cathe ones at a Tuesday morning, but that has been a while.

Good luck.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 03:30 PM  
KathAL79

I got mine at Target. They carry a different brand than they used to, which is something to note because as the weight goes up so does the size of the ball (not sure that was true of the old brand - I bought lighter weights of the old brand, but by the time I got around to the heavier ones they had switched brands). So my 6# is just a wee bit too big for me to palm, and I don't exactly have small hands.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 03:32 PM  
Tiny

It is worth a look at Tuesday Morning since that is where I got mine also.

H.O.P.E.=Hold On Pain Ends
D.I.E.T.=Did I Eat That

"If I fall, I will get back up. If I am beaten, I will return."
"Strong is what happens when you run out of weak."
"As the New Year dawns we look back on a year of upheaval through the world and through our lives as well. Life is difficult. For those of us raised with the illusion that if we go to school, work hard, all will be well, that illusion dies hard."
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 03:59 PM  
winnie_p
VF Supporter

Mine are danskin, and I got them at Ross/Marshall's/TJMaxx. They all blend together for me. I have a blue 3 lb ball, and a red 5 lb ball.
winnie_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 04:29 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have the Firm ones... they were on clearance at TJMaxx/Marshall. Cheap. I found that Kettlebells are a bit better because of the handle. I have Kettlenetics 4lb and 8 lbs that I use in place of the balls.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 07:19 PM  
Pam

Like hdw, I like using kettlebells better, as they are easier to hold onto because of the handle and for the same weight they are smaller than the balls.

I am using kettlebells in Cathe's AB Circuits, as I didn't have heavy medicine balls and I had the kettlebells. I am now using heavier kettlebells than I could hold onto if I was using balls for this workout. I am going to try using kettlebells in other workouts as I am pleased with it in this workout.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
med ball, med balls, medicine ball, medicine balls, squishy weighted balls, tjmaxx, tracie long, weighted balls