Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-12, 01:00 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Best motivational quotes

Just now, that I've finished the first 6 weeks of Steve Cotter Extreme Strength and almost done with the 10000 swing challenge I experienced for real what Steve Maxwell said to the not so young but very fit audience at the seminar I attended in the Fall. He himself is 60.
"You are not over the hill, you are on top of the hill". Gotta love that.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 03:17 PM  
Sophia

The one quote that really hit home and I still repeat to myself was motivational in making me try harder than I thought I could. It was Jillian in the original 30 Day Shred where she says that she doesn't have a modified version of jumping jacks because she has 300 or 400 pound people doing jumping jacks and you can too. That really hit me because I was always doing the modified version because I didn't like the higher impact. I realized that I was putting that limitation on myself since there is nothing wrong with me physically. I just didn't like the feeling of discomfort, but I would never progress if I didn't push myself within my real capabilities. So I started doing the real jumping jacks and guess what? I lived to tell about it. I love that quote and tell it to myself whenever I come across some move that I think I can't do just because it's hard.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 03:57 PM  
cecififi

this has always been one of my favourite quotes:

before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you judge them, you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 04:15 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Cecififi, that is my kind of motivational quote.

One I heard a month or so ago that has really stuck with me is "Choice not chance determines destiny."

While I don't totally believe that for all aspects of life, I believe it when it comes to fitness and doing what you are "supposed" to do.
You make the choice to sit or work out, you make the choice to drive through that fast food place, you make the choice to sleep until 10:00, whatever.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 05:00 PM  
Aquajock

"Good habits are worth being fanatical about." - John Irving
Old 01-29-12, 05:04 PM  
DEEDEE

The one quote that has gotten me to get past fear and do things that I've wanted to do that scare me is "Take a chance, while you've still got the choice." It makes me realize the choice will not always be there. And I got this from a simple AC/DC song called 'Rock 'N' Roll Damnation' that I first heard back when I was about 13 years old. To this day when I am hesitating because of fear, I play this song over and over until I've ready to go for it regardless of the fear.

Another one I like is "The only limitations we face in life are those that we put on ourselves." I'm not sure where I got that from but it has stuck with me for years.
DEEDEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 05:07 PM  
curious621

Someone on here posted the quote- "You're one workout away from a good mood." I love that- soooo true! Laura
curious621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 06:36 PM  
Eibhinn

Some of my favourites:

A year from now you will wish you had started today.
Karen Lamb

To change one’s life; Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.
William James

Life engenders life. Energy creates energy. It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.
Sarah Bernhardt

In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
Albert Camus

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
The one quote that really hit home and I still repeat to myself was motivational in making me try harder than I thought I could. It was Jillian in the original 30 Day Shred where she says that she doesn't have a modified version of jumping jacks because she has 300 or 400 pound people doing jumping jacks and you can too......
Ah, but she didn't have three or four-hundred pound people doing jumping jacks in a second-floor apartment, which is why I choose low-impact modifications. You know, to be kind to my hard-battling neighbours. I once lived downstairs from a vidiot, and learned my lesson that exercise can be FAR LOUDER than it seems.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 06:43 PM  
tigerbaby

Some of my favorite quotes come from Sufi poet, Hafiz:

"One regret dear world, that I am determined not to have when I am lying on my deathbed is that I did not kiss you enough."

"Now that all your worry has proved such an unlucrative business, why not find a better job."

Experience the world, be fearless, and let go.
Old 01-29-12, 06:45 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My favorite is: Do not regret growing old, it is a privilege denied to many.

Tags
favorite quotes