Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-03, 06:46 PM  
Kimison
VF Supporter

Question Have you tried Winsor Pilates Upper Body Sculpting?

If so, what did you think of it? I bought Bun & Thigh Sculpting last week, and I absolutely love it! So now I'm interested in Upper Body Sculpting. (I'm going to pass on Ab Sculpting because I just ordered Quick Fix Pilates for Abs.) I'm just curious whether it actually works. I have several Pilates DVD's, and they all seem to concentrate on abs, back, and lower body. As a result, I guess I figured that Pilates isn't particularly effective for arms, chest, and shoulders. I'm intrigued by the concept of an upper-body Pilates workout. I would love to try Upper Body Sculpting if I can get good results from it. (By "good results," in this case, I mean toning and stretching, rather than strength training or major muscle development.) What's your opinion?

Kimberly
Kimison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 06:58 PM  
Rookey

I would be interested in hearing what everyone thinks also. I viewed the tape and it didn't LOOK like it would be effective. If anyone has seen results... please let us know.

Cindy
Old 03-08-03, 07:15 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I've never focused on Pilates for upper body work, so I can't comment on results. I've done Pilates upper body work from time to time when I feel like doing something different (I usually do Cathe or the FIRM). Light weights are used for the exercises, and they are harder than they look.

I don't have the Winsor upper body video. I do, however, know of a few other tapes that have Pilates upper body segments. These tapes are cheaper than the Winsor tape and contain other segments in addition to upper body (they are all available on DVD and VHS). You might be able to get them on the VF exchange.

Method Dynamic Toning has a 20-minute upper body sculpting session and another 20-minute segment for the abs and lower body (mostly abs). The first 20-minute segment of the video is called "total body toning", but it's mostly stretching with a little core work thrown in.

New Method Precision Pilates has three ~20-minute segments: upper body, lower body, and stretching.
EDIT: I don't remember if the upper body segment is a full 20 minutes long. I traded the DVD because I didn't like the picture quality and the music wasn't loud enough. :rolleyes: I tended to use my other Method workouts more often. The Precision Pilates workouts are pretty good, though.

Precision Sculpting has both upper body and lower body work. I don't have this video, but I plan to buy the Method Precision Toning/Sculpting DVD after watching clips at Collage.

Hopefully someone else will comment on the effectiveness of these exercises!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 09:12 PM  
Messe

Winsor Upper Body

The first time I did this, I almost put it on the exchange. Let me rephrase that: I almost put it on the exchange immediately. Fortunately, a good night's sleep intervened, and by mid-morning the next day (I exercise when I get home from the office), the dreaded DOMS began to settle in and remained with me until the next morning.

The two background exercisers use 2-lb. weights; I used 2 lbs. for the floor and 4 lbs. for the standing work. The next time I used 3 lbs. for everything and was happy with how it made me feel.

Colleen is right--the exercises are harder than they look. Positioning, control, focusing on the core (aka Powerhouse)--it's all important.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-03, 10:25 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

I forgot to mention that I feel these exercises the next day too. I typically use 3lb dumbbells (for a 20 minute upper body session), and that is enough for me!

I've never done a rotation with only Pilates for the upper body, but I've thought of trying this (perhaps for a couple of weeks) when I feel like taking a break from heavy weights. If anyone else has tried this, I'd like to know how it went.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-03, 02:24 PM  
cmhazlett

I Like It!

I've gotten the best results by hitting each body part twice with weights and once with Pilates- or yoga-based toning workouts each week. I find that Pilates/yoga helps counteract the bulking effect of weightlifting for me so I develop long, lean muscles.

My favorite Pilates- and yoga-based upper body toning workouts are: Winsor Upper Body Sculpting, Method Precision Sculpting, Method Target Specifics, Living Arts Balance Ball Upper Body Workout, and Living Arts Upper Body Yoga Workout.

But of course, every body is different so YMMV!

Claire
cmhazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-03, 05:43 PM  
nd2325

I HATED it!

When I did this one, it hurt and not in a good way! The moves seemed awkard and unsafe. I did not keep this one, and I dont reccommend it!
nd2325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
standing pilates, the method dynamic toning, winsor upper body