Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-15, 05:29 PM  
Bebop

Thanks Sharon!

I'm doing okay. It's been a year since I was diagnosed with rotator cuff tendinitis. My range of motion is better and I'm slowly building back strength.
I find that if I use blocks when I'm doing down dog it takes the pressure of my shoulders. I can't do cow arms anymore - not that I could before but just tried reverse Namaste and did it!

My yoga practice has evolved over the years from more power yoga, vinyasa to more gentle flo and even Yin.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:23 PM  
san4850

I was just thinking this morning that perhaps I need to scale down the intensity of my workouts when I did T25 Gamma Speed 3.0. I just turned 50 in July, but I've been working out since at least my late 20's. I just just couldn't complete the workout all the way through without stopping. I had to stop for 1 rep for each new move to catch my breath (and to also see what the next move looked like, because Shaun calls it so fast and I didn't know what to expect next). I can complete about 90% of Speed 2.0 unmodified, and I don't need to stop to see what the next move is because I've done this workout many times that I know what to expect next. I was thinking that something as intense as Speed 3.0 (or Insanity Max 30) is no longer for me. I don't have knee or joint issues, but I'm not 30 anymore, and I'm not in as great shape as Shaun T and his crew are.

I'm looking forward to Cathe's new ICE workouts because it sounds like it's designed for someone like me, someone who doesn't want to kill themselves with high intensity (like T25, P90X or Insanity), but also for someone who isn't new to exercise either, and would like something more than just a beginner's workout such as Tony Horton's new P90.

Last edited by san4850; 08-25-15 at 10:31 PM. Reason: correction
san4850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 02:33 PM  
killoffsonny

I'm 61. I go to one tough class a week at my gym but I do a lot of modifying and the class is only 45 minutes which is why I go. I don't use any weights over 8 pounds because it's a combination weight/cardio class. I use not risers on the step. I will do plyo for only 30 seconds then I stop and modify. Things like this help me to be able to do the class.

Other than this one class I stick to pilates and sometimes barre and yoga with just using my rebounder or walking on the treadmill for cardio. I baby my joints!
Old 08-25-15, 02:44 PM  
killoffsonny

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC View Post
No revisiting the Firm for me. But then I never did like the workouts.

I'm 70 and eased into maintenance mode when I was about 60. I don't do more than 30-45 min. a day unless I'm in yoga class. I do almost entirely yoga (Iyengar style), with a little strength stuff for shoulder stability (mostly with turbing).

I don't like to spend more than 30-45 min. on exercise. It makes the rest of the day so stressful: playing catch up on the rest of my life.

I got rid of my heavy weights years ago to avoid tendonitis.
This is me! I just don't think there's a need for me to do anything longer than forty five minutes unless I'm in a yoga class. My mat pilates classes go for an hour but it's unnecessary. When I do my pilates at home it's thirty to forty minutes. And I too got rid of my heavy weights a long time ago. Probably in my late forties or around fifty.
Old 08-27-15, 01:19 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

I'm almost 56, and have been doing lighter weight training for about 5 years. I spent a lot of years trying to get stronger, but decided not to worry about it so much. Endurance is much more important to me as I age.

I still do some running for cardio, some high impact stuff for my bones, and try to fit in some metabolic type workouts because they are fun. I have no desire to go heavier and heavier any more. I have also added more stretching and core work over the years.

Today, I did both Cathe's X10 Fat Burning Circuit and Supreme 90 Total Body.

Sandi M
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
over 50