Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-23, 10:26 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Eventmom, I do have a question on Continuity as I've seen different things and am totally bewildered, even though I'm nowhere near needing that set...is that a set of DVDs or multiple sets of DVDs, separate from Meta, or how do you purchase that?

And also, major, major kudos to you for having done that much with Meta/Continuity, etc. I've only done the Meta 1-10 workout (on YouTube) just a few times and am wondering when I'll get through all those leg reps without needing a break in that fourth set. And it's just the first workout! Because it's YouTube, some commercial breaks happen and rather than get annoyed, I get happy because I can rest my screaming legs for a few seconds!
:
Meta is the first 90 days, then continuity picks up after that. She created DVDs until partway through a 4th year, then she went the streaming route and stopped the whole continuity thing. I think you can buy meta/continuity on her streaming site but the DVDs are gone (I have mine managed to snag the last 2 years before they ran out). So the numbering confusing as h@ll b/c they start the continuity at #1 (but you've already done 90 days).

This time around on TA, I start day 1 at 25 reps and build up to 30 reps over the course of doing the workout 10 times. I also start arms at 2# and go up to 3 at some point. Some moves just suck, there was one move in the level right before this one I just gave up - my body isn't doing that. Also, Meta is 40 reps and it's killer.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 02:49 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
Meta is the first 90 days, then continuity picks up after that. She created DVDs until partway through a 4th year, then she went the streaming route and stopped the whole continuity thing. I think you can buy meta/continuity on her streaming site but the DVDs are gone (I have mine managed to snag the last 2 years before they ran out). So the numbering confusing as h@ll b/c they start the continuity at #1 (but you've already done 90 days).

This time around on TA, I start day 1 at 25 reps and build up to 30 reps over the course of doing the workout 10 times. I also start arms at 2# and go up to 3 at some point. Some moves just suck, there was one move in the level right before this one I just gave up - my body isn't doing that. Also, Meta is 40 reps and it's killer.
Thank you for the info! Cleared up some confusion for me. Yes, there is lots of confusion!! Boy, is her streaming is expensive! Too bad I missed out on DVDs....maybe I'll get lucky some day!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 05:03 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Thank you for the info! Cleared up some confusion for me. Yes, there is lots of confusion!! Boy, is her streaming is expensive! Too bad I missed out on DVDs....maybe I'll get lucky some day!!
you can find them from time to time on ebay.
Old 11-24-23, 11:53 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Bumping this thread...I tried Barlates Tighter Assets Day One and really liked it! I will try more and I considered ordering the four-week DVD set to support Linda, but then I watched the clip with some of the chair moves in the later episodes and they looked, um, awkward. I don't have a chair I'd feel comfortable using and would have to substitute a high step but I'm not sure that can even be done.

Can anyone who has done all these comment on those moves? Are they easy to modify using a high step or something else? Are they as awkward as they look, hah? Thoughts?

P.S. Eventmom, I have been perusing Ebay and will continue to, thank you!

Old 11-26-23, 03:34 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
but then I watched the clip with some of the chair moves in the later episodes and they looked, um, awkward. I don't have a chair I'd feel comfortable using and would have to substitute a high step but I'm not sure that can even be done.

Can anyone who has done all these comment on those moves? Are they easy to modify using a high step or something else? Are they as awkward as they look, hah? Thoughts?
The chair moves were the one thing I'd complain about. Her chair is level, my seat tips back, it made it very difficult to do some of the moves. But chairs are a pet peeve of mine with exercise instructors. Pretty much anything works if you are standing but anything else it can nearly impossible to replicate the moves with a different chair. She really seems to lean into the back on some moves so I don't know that a high step would work. I'm also not a fan of having my head below my knee (headach, sinus anyone?). I'm sure I modified somehow but couldn't tell you exactly how. I'm pretty sure you can buy just the first 2 weeks of the rotation and that didn't seem to cause me any issues.
Old 11-26-23, 04:54 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I did the whole 4 weeks. I modified all 4's moves and the chair moves to standing. For the all 4's, I had my torso parallel to the floor and held onto my sofa's back (same height as a barre). For the chair moves, I draped myself over my sofa's arms or back.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-23, 11:57 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Bumping this thread...I tried Barlates Tighter Assets Day One and really liked it! I will try more and I considered ordering the four-week DVD set to support Linda, but then I watched the clip with some of the chair moves in the later episodes and they looked, um, awkward. I don't have a chair I'd feel comfortable using and would have to substitute a high step but I'm not sure that can even be done.

I've done days 1-16 so far. I have the same chair that Linda has. The high step is about 2/3 the size of the chair seat and it would be too small for many of the moves even if you're short.

There are only two workouts in weeks 1-2 that use the chair, and with minor modifications you could just do the chair part on the floor or on a full-size step bench. You could add ankle weights if you want to make them harder. If you're thinking of getting some of Linda's DVDs while they're on sale, I'd get weeks 1-2 and check out some of Linda's other workouts. A few of her workouts have chair work like this, but most of them just use the chair as a barre or a seat.

Then you could try weeks 3-4 on YT and see how you like modifying them for the equipment that you have. Not all of the workouts use a chair, and day 16 uses it only as a barre. If you decide that you want the week 3-4 DVDs there will always be another sale.

There is a bit of a learning curve with the chair work - figuring out how to position yourself, where to hold on, etc.

BTW, your kitty reminds me of Linda's cat Mini - so cute!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-23, 10:54 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Thank you so much for the insights, eventmom, monterey vidiot, and Colleen!!

Colleen, I love when Mini comes into the picture and starts messing with things on Linda's set. She's frequently, um, 'helpful' just like my boy in the pic is.

Old 11-30-23, 10:16 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Colleen, where did you find your chair?
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-23, 11:05 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Yes, Colleen, where did you get your chair? Just curious.

Eventmom, I also agree about chairs and instructors in general being a pet peeve!! I do a lot of barre type work and am typically able to sub with my couch until I get something better. But sometimes chairs drive me nuts when used in different ways!!

Also just wanted to add the comment that I acquired TA Precision Toning recently and oh, my, I really, really liked this one and found it very challenging. She says something like this is supposed to be a prep for Meta which I can totally see. But oh, my!!! Just sayin'....these workouts are no joke!

Tags
barlates tighter assets, tracy anderson, tracy anderson meta, tracy anderson method