Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-24, 10:05 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Donna, It was expensive because I got the upgraded multifocal lenses so I wouldn't have to wear glasses anymore. Insurance doesn't cover the upgrade. If I had gone with the basic lenses, the insurance would have covered that, but I would still have to wear glasses and the doctor did not recommend those for me due to my younger age anyway. There is also an option to do laser surgery, which is more expensive but safer, or blade surgery, which insurance covers. I went with the laser.
Old 04-12-24, 11:55 AM  
donnamp

wishiwasinhawaii - thanks for that info! I am half hoping that the eye doctor forces DH into this when he next sees him. I think he probably wants to wait until he retires to do it - but if there is a chance it won't be successful if he waits too long he should do it sooner rather than later.
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-24, 09:58 PM  
Leonana

Walking at work, 5500 steps. I also did Day 4 of the 30 Day Challenge. Yesterday I did a plank for 30 seconds. Today I did a few squats and lunges. I’m trying a few body weight moves each day.

My co-worker is doing okay, just a swollen lip from hitting it in the fall. Today was an uneventful day thankfully.

Donna, I tried the plank with my elbows at my side. It did make it easier, less stress on my ribs.

wishiwasinhawaii, I’m envious you no longer need glasses. Hopeful, I can afford the upgrade when it’s time for me.
Old 04-13-24, 07:47 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Donna, Your DH would have to talk to his eye doctor about it and find out if it's something that needs to be done soon. Everyone is different. I just wanted to get it over with, lol. Plus, I was anxious to have 20/20 vision again. I didn't need glasses until I was 47 and never really got used to progressive lenses.

Sherry, Glad to hear your co-worker is ok! The upgraded lenses are amazing! Everything is more expensive where I live because I'm near NYC, so maybe they aren't as pricey where you are.

I'm under the no lifting restriction until next Tuesday and then I think I'll start doing very gentle workouts. No one told me I can't lift anything after that, but I'm going to play it safe and just do fusion workouts and then start light lifting. It's too windy to walk outside today but starting tomorrow the weather is supposed to be amazing for the next 5 days. yay! I'm supposed to go back to work (at home) Monday but I think I'll take another sick day.
Old 04-13-24, 07:58 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Here are my workouts, so far:

Firm Basics - Time Crunch Weights - Workouts 1 (Lower) and 2 (Upper)
Jessica Valant - All Levels Pilates Abs
Trifecta Pilates - 5 Min Standing Hip Mobility, 5 Min Lower Back Mobility, 5 min Mermaid Stretch

The Firm Basics was fun - the elaborate setting and the polished production make you feel you are part of a performance! The upper body used the barbell and tall step quite a bit - but I hadn't arranged to have all that out - so I just used my dumbbells and it was fine.

Jessica Valant's workout was good - nothing remarkable, but I enjoy her Pilates routines and i appreciate that her "abs" workouts aren't just crunches

I think the star of today was Trifecta Pilates - I really enjoyed those segments! For this month in her membership she has 50 min strength, mobility and stretch workouts which she then broke down into 5 min segments that can be used for add ons. On her You Tube channel this week she is releasing some of the 5 min segments. Whenever I do Beth's work I always walk away feeling like I should focus on it - but then I never do for some reason. I think too much distraction

wishiwasinhawaii I was thinking that it is getting to be time to ramp up my outdoor walks again, before it gets too hot and humid....I have worn glasses/contacts forever so I'm used to them - I don't have progressives, I just wear drugstore reading glasses when I need to read and I'm wearing my contacts and if I'm wearing my glasses, I sometimes take them off to read Progressives sound like a nightmare to me.

Sherry - I'm glad you are improving!

I hope Pam is enjoying her trip!

waves, Neita

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 04-13-24, 06:38 PM  
Leonana

Went to three Goodwills with my friend, just like normal! I got in about 2,500 steps. I also vacuumed the house before I went. Boy, what a difference a week makes, my energy is back to normal. I still have some congestion and cough for a short time each day. I guess that lingers for awhile. Will do Lee Holden’s day 5 this evening and maybe a few push ups.

It’s cooled do from the low 90’s to the 80’s. I think we have one more week of 80 degree weather. The ac is coming on a bit and I’m wearing shorts in the afternoon. I’ve started to move summer clothes to the front of the closet and winter clothes to the back. I don’t mind highs in the 90’s, as it’s cooler in the mornings and evenings. But we’ll probably be triple digits in May.

Donna, my contacts are not progressive, and I use magnifying glasses to read. I tried the progressive contacts and they didn’t work well for me. However, I do have progressive glasses and they work okay, I can read with them. Regarding cataracts, I think you are more at risk if you live in a sunny climate. I try to be careful and wear my sunglasses.

wishiwasinhawaii, I’ll have to start saving! I paid off my cc for my two teeth implants. Now I have to save for hearing aids. Hopefully, I have a few years to save for cataract surgery. Getting older is expensive lol.
Old 04-14-24, 09:40 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I ventured out alone this morning for the first time since the surgeries. I went to Walmart and a grocery store and it was so nice to be out and about. I had to buy a pair of sunglasses because I didn't have any. Everything is much brighter now that I've had the surgeries. Plus, the eye doctor told me to wear them whenever I'm outside.

The weather is nice today so I'm going for a walk after lunch outside for the first time in weeks! I miss working out and can tell my strength levels have decreased so I can't wait to get back to working out!

Donna, Progressive lenses weren't terrible and at least they enabled me to see well enough to get by, but you have to look out of the correct area of the lenses for different things. I also tried multifocal contacts about 10 years ago and that didn't go well at all. I couldn't see well with them and I'm extremely farsighted so putting them in was a mess because I couldn't see well up close.

Sherry, Getting older is definitely expensive! I've heard the multifocal contacts are much better now than they were when I tried them. Even with the new lenses I have now, I may need reading glasses as I age, but that's not a big deal.

Waves to Pam and Neita!
Old 04-14-24, 09:53 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

It is a lovely spring day today! I plan to get out to walk later, but so far for today I did:

Senior Shape - ABC Workout - I really couldn't decide what I wanted to do today and this sounded like a little bit of everything. Lauren did a different exercise for each letter of the alphabet so there were 26 exercises, done 45 seconds on/15 seconds rest. Although during the rest period you can jump into the next exercise. It wasn't a killer workout but it was nice and varied.

Senior Shape - Pilates Hips and Pelvis - I had done this one before it is just a nice gentle Pilates workout that focuses on the hips.

wishiwasinhawaii - glad you were able to get out!

Sherry- glad to hear you are seeing so much improvement!

Waves, Neita and Pam.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Donna
Old 04-15-24, 08:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I wrapped up yesterday with 2 short dog walks and one longer walk w/ my DD.

Today I went with:

Senior Shape - Slow and Gentle Barre. This is one of her older workouts on You Tube, I think it was from 3 years ago. It was my first time doing it - it may have been "slow and gentle" but it wasn't easy, LOL! For some reason I'm quite sore so that may be why I found it challenging, but it may just be challenging. LOL! I did enjoy it!

Today I will try to at least get some walking in!

Hope everyone has a good start to the week!

Donna
Old 04-15-24, 10:55 PM  
Leonana

Walking at work, 5900 steps. I didn’t do Lee Holden’s Day 5 last Saturday, or Sunday or today. I was so tired Sunday, I napped on the couch all afternoon.

Today, my right knee was really sore and it was a little hard to walk. I haven’t worked out in probably seven weeks, and I wonder if my muscles are weak. Jessica had a post on FB about achey knees. Interestingly, it affects women more than men. She said studies show it can be due to weak hip muscles (including the iliopsoas group, glutes, and adductors). Strengthening them has been shown to improve function and relieve knee pain. She recommended Build Lower Body Detail. So I did it this evening. It was gentle enough that I could manage it. It did relieve a bit of the soreness, although I suppose it will take awhile to strengthen the muscles. I think some Build workouts might be the ticket for me right now.

It felt good to exercise. It really improved my mood!

wishiwasinhawaii, I tried the new progressive contacts and they didn’t work for me at all. I’m glad you are able to get out and about now.

Donna, the Senior Shape ABC workout sounds interesting!