Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-17, 02:31 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

There is something about getting down and up at a fast pace that empowers me so much. Same with the deck squats. I somehow feel that as long as I can get up and down from the floor at a fast pace I won't get "old". It is so in my head.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 02:36 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Happy Birthday and welcome to the 60 Club! I turned 60 in November.

I also love Burpees. I love how they are intense enough to get my heart rate up, I love how they work so many areas of my body at once, and I love that I can still do them quickly!

Today in bootcamp we were doing a slam ball/burpee. KILLER! We'd slam the ball and immediately go into a burpee, picking the ball up, slamming again and going into the next burpee!

Also, another good one is to do a burpee on the Bosu, lift it over your head on the upside, place it back on the floor, burpee and lift again.
Old 02-11-17, 02:59 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

A good modification for Burpees:

If you have a step, use it without any risers and put your hands on them when doing them. Those 4 little inches make the burpees a little easier to manage but they are still very effective. (Or use some risers if you need to modify it a bit more.)

I don't always use this modification, but there are some days when I need to and it really helps. My smaller high step topper is perfect for this.
Old 02-11-17, 02:59 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
Happy Birthday and welcome to the 60 Club! I turned 60 in November.

I also love Burpees. I love how they are intense enough to get my heart rate up, I love how they work so many areas of my body at once, and I love that I can still do them quickly!

Today in bootcamp we were doing a slam ball/burpee. KILLER! We'd slam the ball and immediately go into a burpee, picking the ball up, slamming again and going into the next burpee!

Also, another good one is to do a burpee on the Bosu, lift it over your head on the upside, place it back on the floor, burpee and lift again.
Yeah, they sound great! Today I was watching on Joey Alvarado's page a long jump/burpee combo. Or kick/punch/burpee comboes. Kbell snatch/burpee combo. Oh man, I just love those ups and downs. Not even heavy lifting gives me that really good, strong feeling.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 03:14 PM  
Titus2woman

I have gotten great results from burpees in the past and try to incorporate them as a large lady now~with modifications. I do them off of a step and do not jump at the top, but I know that as my weight comes down I will be able to upgrade my burpees, and I look forward to it!

ETA I am 45.

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 04:36 PM  
Dontmindthemess

I love this !!! I'm only 46 but I plan on doing burpees as long as I can. I don't love them but I feel good after I do them. I think being able to get down and back up quickly keeps you young. I want to keep pushing myself as long as I can. You ladies are truly inspiring!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-17, 06:56 PM  
zippity

Fifty four and still doing burpees-usually in hot pilates, which really are not fun! One thing I have earned is that when I hate a particular movement, it means that there is a weakness that needs to be strengthened.
Old 02-11-17, 07:10 PM  
bubbles76

Ah, lost what I posted! Nevermind
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 08:55 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
Yeah, they sound great! Today I was watching on Joey Alvarado's page a long jump/burpee combo. Or kick/punch/burpee comboes. Kbell snatch/burpee combo. Oh man, I just love those ups and downs. Not even heavy lifting gives me that really good, strong feeling.
Oh yes, remembering doing a kick/punch/burpee combo with the punching bag at one of our bootcamp stations last week. My heart rate was through the roof!

Once a week our bootcamp focuses on kicking and punching with the instructor holding those punching targets (focus mitts) in his hands, or a flat surface that we kick... I can tell you that my heart rate skyrockets with those things. (He moves around so we have to jump around to follow) He'll have us kick for 30 seconds, punch for 30 seconds, burpee 4 or 5 times, run across the room and back, then start over. After we do that, we move to 5 more stations, and then we are back to him and do the same thing but changed up a bit. We go for 45 minutes like this. YIKES! I usually think I am going to die!
Old 02-12-17, 12:36 PM  
Cafelattee

I like doing burpees also and feel like I'll still being doing them at 60. They are fun at 47.

I really want to stay athletic into my 80's whatever that looks like.

Happy Birthday to the big 60

I have a poster in my workout room that equate how many burbees for calories

My favorite 130lb women (like me) would need to do 524 burpees to burn of a large fry I don't like them that much
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, burpees