Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-12, 03:13 PM  
shirleyj62

Anyone do video workouts while in pool?

I recently signed up for an aqua arthritis class at my local health club, mainly to help restore my knee back to working condition.

I'm really enjoying the class although it does tend to be more "range of motion" type activities, although we are doing various "step motions" with our legs.

After the class I have stuck around for another hour and have done some swimming and "exercise". I've discovered this club has a wealth of "toys" for their pool: water steps, noodles, heavy balls, etc that they use for their aqua aerobics class.

Now I'm thinking of downloading some of my own videos on my iphone and doing the videos in the pool. I have downloaded some of the short aqua workouts I've seen on Youtube. I've already ordered a water-proof case for my iphone. I haven't done anything yet about "water-proof" ear buds.

Has anyone else done something similar and what do you use? Since this is a public location, I don't want to bring my laptop or tablet to view from the deck.

If you do something similar, what equipment do you use? And, how is it working out? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks,

Beauty is what you feel about yourself not what you see in the mirror.
shirleyj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 04:25 PM  
atticus
VF Supporter

I did KCM’s TLC in the backyard pool once and it was a blast! But I was able to set up a laptop since it was not a public place.

If you want some written workouts, these books have ideas for pool workouts:

Aqua Fitness by Mimi Rodriguez Adami:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Fitness-M...s=aqua+fitness

The Complete Waterpower Workout Book by Lynda Huey and Robert Forster: http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-W...r+workout+book

Hope that helps! Have fun!
Old 11-14-12, 04:53 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

So where would you put your iphone? I would think even with a waterproof case, there is still a great risk of damage, no?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 05:40 PM  
shirleyj62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
So where would you put your iphone? I would think even with a waterproof case, there is still a great risk of damage, no?
The waterproof case I ordered is this one. It comes with a lanyard so that you can wear it around your neck. I would, of course, test it first with paper towels, and someone had suggested putting paper towels in with it, so that you could test if it was getting wet.

I guess I hadn't thought it completely through just yet.

Old 11-14-12, 09:42 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

I've done tons of cardio in the pool. I have an ipod shuffle that I put in a waterproof armband and I use waterproof earbuds.

I mostly do cardio or I do cardio/barre type workouts. My favorites are iTrain - they have a combo one that is cardio and lower body conditioning that runs about 30 minutes - or if I want a good long cardio workout I'll do a Cardio Coach.

On occasion I take a Water Aerobics class, but I can do better on my own. On occasion when the teacher doesn't show up I teach the class. The students think I'm awesome, and little do they know they've done Cardio Coach 6 "Are you a lion or a gazelle?!" and the old Buns of Steel 7 Step workout!

(although these are audio workouts - not video workouts per se if that makes a difference)
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 10:07 PM  
shirleyj62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebnPhx View Post
I've done tons of cardio in the pool. I have an ipod shuffle that I put in a waterproof armband and I use waterproof earbuds.

I mostly do cardio or I do cardio/barre type workouts. My favorites are iTrain - they have a combo one that is cardio and lower body conditioning that runs about 30 minutes - or if I want a good long cardio workout I'll do a Cardio Coach.

On occasion I take a Water Aerobics class, but I can do better on my own. On occasion when the teacher doesn't show up I teach the class. The students think I'm awesome, and little do they know they've done Cardio Coach 6 "Are you a lion or a gazelle?!" and the old Buns of Steel 7 Step workout!

(although these are audio workouts - not video workouts per se if that makes a difference)
Thanks Deb for the response. So, I read a summary of the Cardio Coach and understand that they are intervals. What I'm wondering about is what activity do you do when doing these workouts: walks, jumps, jogs, etc. What do you do with your arms? I'm sorry about sounding so stupid here, but I don't understand what you are doing.

The same holds true for the BOS 7 step workout. Do you have those moves memorized? Are you doing them with or without a step?

Can you be a little more specific please?

Thanks,