Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-07, 05:48 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Yoga Sadhana 2008-- yes, it's almost that time again -- anyone interested?

It's not written into law that there has to be a yearly sadhana, but since Lianne started it way back in 2001 or 2002 it's been staggering forth.

Review: it's 40 straight days of some sort of yoga practice or yoga intention, often with some sort of focus and often without. In other words, it's what you want to make it. Good for people just starting a practice or people who have been doing yoga for a while. Good for all styles. It's definitely a "whatever" thing

If you have some thoughts about continuing this tradition chime in and share your plans if any.

I'll do it -- I like starting the year this way. Not sure what my focus might be: maybe arm balances for empowerment.

I'm doing a teachers intensive for a week and Dec. and something may gel then. Among other things I'm trying to decide whether I want to continue teaching -- on hiatus right now over that issue.

Any thoughts?

Sadhana results for me have included success in confronting fear in handstand, headstand and inumerable other stands and my daily sklog, which started as a sadhana practice: http://sharonfrost.typepad.com/day_books
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:02 PM  
CarlaVeg

I'm up for it..... I'm doing very gentle yoga lately because of back problems and because I love yoga anyways Count on me

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 06:37 PM  
Sunnyday

Count me in. I got my yoga today newsletter and this was written in it from Neesha about Sadhanas so it must be karma and I must participate! When will you start? I will think of what I want to do. Thanks!!

Sadhana
Start a daily sadhana (pronounced sawed-dha-na). A sadhana is a practice or a routine that grounds you into yourself. It's time for you. Your sadhana can be anything from 10 minutes of meditation to a session of Yoga Today, to cooking yourself breakfast daily. The key to bringing more strength to your body is to discipline yourself to practice everyday with awareness. Taking time for care-giving each day establishes you in your resplendent light inside... and you become a greater transmitting station of the light that is celebrated during the holidays! -Neesha
Sunnyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 07:14 PM  
laurajhawk

Oh wow, I did the sadhana for the first time last year & intended to do it again, but I am doing P90X which makes it hard to commit to daily asana practice.

My meditation practice has been suffering during the X. I can certainly commit to a daily meditation -- 5 minutes minimum. That would be good for this year.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 07:15 PM  
ooty

Hi Sharon!

Yes, I am in. Due to my ongoing back issues, I pretty much have been doing Yoga regularly. My focus will be gentle restorative yoga, though I am getting a bit burnt out on YFSR.
Old 11-28-07, 07:55 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk
Oh wow, I did the sadhana for the first time last year & intended to do it again, but I am doing P90X which makes it hard to commit to daily asana practice.

My meditation practice has been suffering during the X. I can certainly commit to a daily meditation -- 5 minutes minimum. That would be good for this year.
Meditation would certainly work. The idea isn't quantity really or the type of practice.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
Old 11-28-07, 07:57 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooty
Hi Sharon!

Yes, I am in. Due to my ongoing back issues, I pretty much have been doing Yoga regularly. My focus will be gentle restorative yoga, though I am getting a bit burnt out on YFSR.
Ooty, maybe we can come up with some alternative practices, like the Kraftsows and Lillah Schwartz -- there must be more out there. Amanda McMaine's audios come to mind.

Old 11-28-07, 07:57 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

I was hoping Sharon would start such a thread soon I would love to participate again. My focus will again be on my writing. I've started to consider my yoga and meditation practice a writing warm up. I'm going to see what I can do as far as focusing a practice along those lines.

Thanks Sharon!

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-07, 07:59 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyday
Count me in. I got my yoga today newsletter and this was written in it from Neesha about Sadhanas so it must be karma and I must participate! When will you start? I will think of what I want to do. Thanks!!

Sadhana
Start a daily sadhana (pronounced sawed-dha-na). A sadhana is a practice or a routine that grounds you into yourself. It's time for you. Your sadhana can be anything from 10 minutes of meditation to a session of Yoga Today, to cooking yourself breakfast daily. The key to bringing more strength to your body is to discipline yourself to practice everyday with awareness. Taking time for care-giving each day establishes you in your resplendent light inside... and you become a greater transmitting station of the light that is celebrated during the holidays! -Neesha
The sadhana always starts the 1st of the year and goes for 40 days and the structure is up to the individual.

Old 11-28-07, 08:02 PM  
bfj

Thanks Sharon,
I would like to join and my Sadhana will be at least 10 minutes of meditation, which I need to get stronger and deeper at!

Do you guys do a daily check-in?
bfj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yoga sadhana