Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-03, 12:05 PM  
Elisa B.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn
I think that even though the individual workouts may not be SUPER intense, the rotations that she suggested for using them seem rather intense (as someone already suggested).
Can someone point me to the thread(s) at cathe.com where I can find these rotations? I took a look over there, but didn't see them. Thanks!

Elisa
Elisa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-03, 12:07 PM  
Sharon T
VF Supporter

I think the intensities are mixed, and for me, that's a good thing. I usually mix the intensities of my workouts, anyway, and this series offers the opportunity for you do do that. I've done Muscle Endurance twice, and for me it's as least as tough as Power Hour. I agree that Imax2 is fun! It's challenging, but not the grueling undertaking Imax one is. I was somewhat apprehensive about ordering the set, because I don't need any more videos I do just once a year just to prove that I can, like Imax. I actually see getting more use out of these because of the intensity range.
Sharon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-03, 12:15 PM  
GymRatt
VF Supporter

Re: Cathe Intensities not that intense?

Quote:
Originally posted by desie
Pyramid Upper Body. The sections did not wipe me out! I even felt alert the evening after the workout, ...

What's the consensus? Are people finding these tapes not so tough after all? Desie
Are you using heavy enough weights?

I've only used the Pyramid tapes so far and noticed a huge increase in strength almost immediately. By the third workout, I had to go buy heavier weights in order to really feel the workout.

I still don't feel 'wiped out' but I don't really want to (I workout before heading to work )

It took a bit of tweaking for me to find just the right weights, but now I keep a written record of the weight I've used (and the difficulty level) so that I can see when it's time to 'up the ante'.

GR
GymRatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-03, 01:45 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebop
There is something about Cathe - whenever I do her she just motivates the heck out of me - she has one those personalites that really transmits over video - For example -IMHO - Moira Stott has great workouts and great form and is a great instructor - her personality comes across flat and dry(I am sure in persons she isn't boring) that she doesn't inspire me - I do her workouts because I know they are good for me but it's work. Cathe makes me work but I'm having fun - even when I am yelling at the TV - "enough already".
I agree! I had a Moira Stott tape once and couldn't even bear to do it after previewing. She just seemed SO serious, to the point of being stern. When she did make an attempt at humour or lightheartedness, it just seemed so out of character.

One of my criteria for a great instructor (besides great cuing--preferably continuous, 'cuz I don't want to think when I'm working out) is someone I'd like to invite to my house to work out with. Cathe definitely fills the bill.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 07:21 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Hi all,
After three weeks of doing the Intensity Series almost exclusively, except for running once a week and a couple of spinerval days, I can say that I think I am in better shape now than I was 3 weeks ago.

I know for a fact my core is much stronger, and I think it looks better!?

I did IMAX 1 yesterday to gauge my fitness level--this is the tape I do it by, and I sailed through it like I never have in my life. It might have been a fluke but I have never done the scissors and tuck jumps so easily before in my life, and I was on an 8 in bench with 1 lb kickbox gloves on. This is not the norm for me!
I can make it through without modifying, but I never feel like I can sail through it.

I don't know if my body needed the shock of change, or if I have been forced to lift more because of BC and C&W plus PUB--I know the decrease in cardio time has forced me to work my core more often.

I have done all of the tapes except for LBP because I don't lift my lower body separately. Maybe I worked harder because I was having more fun, I don't really know.
I just wanted to let those of you who are disappointed that these tapes might not kill you-- not to be. They are plenty tough and from my limited experience with them, seem to be very effective the way they stand provided you are using heavy enough weights. Amazingly, the DVD's will offer even more variety! Have a great day. Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 10:37 AM  
Julier
VF Supporter

Janet!!!

I am so glad to hear you say that. I am starting my third week of the blast rotation (including the PLB). My core is much stronger than ever also. I haven't tried any of the older tapes to gauge like you did (maybe Circuit Max would be good for my purposes) but then again I wasn't disappointed in the *intensity* of these tapes. I learned to look at them as a whole and together they do amazing things.

How long would you do these on a rotation basis and still get results? Any thoughts?

Julie
Julier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 12:59 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by frostyjan
Hi all,
After three weeks of doing the Intensity Series almost exclusively, except for running once a week and a couple of spinerval days, I can say that I think I am in better shape now than I was 3 weeks ago.
Janet
Janet,
What kind of rotation are you doing? I'm waiting on my DVDs and trying to figure out how to use them once they come.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 01:29 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

Yes, I would very much like to hear about the rotaton schedule, too.

Edit: Never mind. I see someone has kindly posted Cathe's rotations on another thread. Thanks!
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 05:26 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Hi to those who were interested in my rotation,
I didn't do any specific rotation, just what I felt like doing while trying to get PUB or ME in at least once a week. I doubled up some days because I had a busy month and I noticed I had more rest days than usual but it seems to have benefitted me some. I think the main difference is that I am doing less straight cardio and more circuit work. Before I got my tapes, I was doing 4 cardios a week and forcing myself to do weight work once a week + pushups and abs. I was bored with my strength workouts, and this was a very needed shot in the arm. I'm still trying to figure out why I feel so good.
I'll just show you what my log says:
Week 1
Imax2 with 1lb gloves
Boot Camp
Walk dog
Rest
Run 1 hr
C&W wearing 2lb gloves with intervals on the Stairmaster during the weight portions. Did chest and ab work
Boot Camp

Week2
Rest
Strength Express and walk dog
IMAX 2 with 1 lb gloves and PUB
REST
RUN 1hr
C&W with 2lb gloves on
REST

Week 3
Spinerval Sufferorama and PUB
rest
dog walk
IMAX 2 with 1 lb gloves and Boot Camp
rest
Run 1 hour 15 min
Muscular Endurance

I lifted as heavy as I could during all the weight work. I really only averaged 4 workouts a week, but the change in routine seems to have worked for me in spite of the extra rest days. My core feels very strong. I also do extra pushups a few times a week on my own.
I was thinking about doing this for another few weeks and then adding in a day of swimming. I think the neat thing about the tapes is that you can tack Boot Camp onto some cardio and get an excellent overall workout, or use PUB and IMAX in a day and not have to spend an entire 2 hours doing it. I'm not usually one to double up on workouts, but these tapes make it much more appealing to try it that way. Anyway, it's not much of a rotation looking back at it, but I hope it helps in some way! Enjoy your DVD's, I'm off to order the Terminator. Happy Super Bowl. Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-03, 10:30 PM  
nancy c
Tri-ing!

Elisa..here's some rotations...

They're the ones that Cathe posted over at her site. I've got them in a word file and it was easier to paste than to hunt down threads right now. There may be other stuff over there, but these might be what you're looking for.

ADVANCED Total Overall Body Blast Workout:
Mon: Boot Camp
Tues: off
Wed: Muscle Endurance
Thurs: Imax2
Fri: Cardio and Weights
Sat: Pyramid Lower Body with the first 5 intervals of Imax 2
Sun: Pyramid Upper Body

ADVANCED Total Body Conditioning with more focus on Heavy Weight Training
Mon: Pyramid Lower Body
Tues: Pyramid Upper Body
Wed: Imax 2