Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-03, 03:01 PM  
desie

Talking Cathe Intensities not that intense?

I have the new Cathe tapes and I'm really glad because I needed new workouts and Cathe's workouts are reliably top notch. I have slowly been able to do a few of the workouts (sprained my foot 3 weeks ago, blah ).

So far I have tried:

Cardio plus Weights. My foot was wrapped in a tensor bandage and I could do all of it except the plyo squat jumps in the last step segment. I really enjoyed the succint weight sessions inbetween. Efficient, no fuss. But what does this mean? If someone with a sore foot could manage, is this one of Cathe's easiest step tapes yet?

Muscle Endurance. Gosh, I really enjoyed this workout. The only part I got a little bit stuck and had to push through was the third set of leg press. I was using just 10 lbs with the higher 17" step height. After I finished that third set, I had to pause the tape to recover. This was the only sticky part of the tape! I remember with Power Hour I was dying (and praying to die) several times over.

Pyramid Upper Body. Some trepidation starting this tape because it stretches past an hour, but surprise! The sections did not wipe me out! I even felt alert the evening after the workout, and didn't need to pass out after dinner. Okay, the biceps section is a bit cruel. Two counts up and down for an eternity of reps. And I could only do one of two jack-knifes on the ball - but I expect to improve!

What's the consensus? Are people finding these tapes not so tough after all? Desie
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 03:17 PM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

Re: Cathe Intensities not that intense?

Quote:
Originally posted by desie
The only part I got a little bit stuck and had to push through was the third set of leg press. I was using just 10 lbs with the higher 17" step height.
I don't have my DVDs yet (obviously) but I just had to say wow! I had been using my super step at 15-1/2" but it just got my heart rate up too much so I've switched to 10-1/2 " for leg press...how tall are you Desie?
Old 01-24-03, 03:37 PM  
Julier
VF Supporter

Depends

Someone commented at Cathe's forum about this. Before I received the series, I was really concerned about this. My opinion is that Cathe designed this series to be used together and that's why she varied the intensity. I am doing the total body blast rotation. Am going into the third week. I have not seen results like this in way too long. I consider myself to be advanced - can do anything that Cathe does and found these to be exhausting used as a rotation. I definitely need the rest day that was set up in there.

Of course, everyone will have to judge for themselves. I can see why some would say that though. If you pick up one of the tapes, it is completely doable. But if you do the tapes in the order prescribed, you really are working your body at an intense level overall for the week. JMHO
Julier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 04:46 PM  
Bebop

I don't have my DVD's yet but you people who think the intensity series is not intense must be in incredible shape! Just reading the descriptions is making me sore! LOL -

I personally am not interested in IMAX2 - too high impact - but it will be coming on the Cardio and Weight DVD - I have read that Cardio and Weights is not as intense as Circuit Max - which is fine with me - This tape is a challenge for me - I use it mostly as aerobics and sometimes can't complete it with the upper work - I am looking forward to Cardio and weights!

A thought? Maybe it's not that the intensity series isn't intense ,but you all are in better shape than you thought, from working out with Cathe all these years! I know that since I started CAthe Cardio my cardio capacity has improved amazingly.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 05:38 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Bebop

At least give IMAX 2 a try. The high impact isn't near the level that IMAX 1 is and it is so much fun. The moves that you will most likely have to modify is really easy to modify.

So far I've done Cardio & Weights twice, IMAX 2, Muscle Endurance and Upper Body Pyramid. I do have to warm up to upper body because it wasn't what I expected, but I do know when I receive my DVDs I'll be able to cater it to my needs.

I do have to say that this series isn't near as intense as the last series, but I sure do think they are much more fun to workout to.
I LOVE cardio and weights. To me, it's the almost perfect workout. IMAX 2 is another workout high on the fun meter. Muscle Endurance isn't near as intense as Power Hour, but I liked it much more. Two days later I could still feel my biceps.

I do plan on following a rotation close to what Cathe has suggested, but I'll wait until my DVDs arrive.

Cathe has really blossomed and she is a lot of fun to watch in this series. I know that Mary commented on another thread that she saw different instructors in Cathe and I experienced the same thing. I say bits of Mindy and Christi in Cathe.

So far, I give this series a huge thumbs up and will not doubt be the best workouts of 2003.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 05:51 PM  
InMyPrime

Quote:
At least give IMAX 2 a try. The high impact isn't near the level that IMAX 1 is and it is so much fun. The moves that you will most likely have to modify is really easy to modify.
I am SO glad to hear that. I cannot wait to get those DVDs!
InMyPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 06:42 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Frankly, I'm hoping they're not as intense as they originally sounded. I was afraid that Cathe would keep bringing the intensity higher and higher to appease all her fans who seem to want her workouts to be ever faster, harder, more intense(especially in her step cardio, which is already too fast according to industry recommendations for safety).

I think that even though the individual workouts may not be SUPER intense, the rotations that she suggested for using them seem rather intense (as someone already suggested).

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 07:14 PM  
TMoch

Debbie,

Your description of Cathe's Intensity Series videos sounds
great! I'm very happy to know that they're FUN workouts. I hope that the DVDs will soon be ready to ship and I can finally use my new DVD player !

Terri
TMoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-03, 07:21 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Maybe that's why Cathe did the Terminator DVD, to please her fans who really want it tough and high impact. Just a guess though. I agree with Kathryn. They sound doable to me. I liked Power Hour. It was challenging but not impossible. IMAX was impossible for me to do without injuring myself.
Old 01-25-03, 11:35 AM  
Bebop

Okay Debbie - You've convinced me - I'll give IMAX2 a try.

I don't have IMAX1 - from all the reviews its just too high impact for me.

But - I do modify anyway - I just finished Step Heat and I modified some of the higher moves (these 43 year old knees you know).

I love Power Hour and don't find it hard at all - I wasn't planning on the endurance DVD anyway - but knowing me - I'll fall in love with the DVD's I get and have to complete the collection.

There is something about Cathe - whenever I do her she just motivates the heck out of me - she has one those personalites that really transmits over video - For example -IMHO - Moira Stott has great workouts and great form and is a great instructor - her personality comes across flat and dry(I am sure in persons she isn't boring) that she doesn't inspire me - I do her workouts because I know they are good for me but it's work. Cathe makes me work but I'm having fun - even when I am yelling at the TV - "enough already".

I have to say - since I have been doing Cathe Cardio consistently - my cardio capacity has increased and a lot of my other tapes that I thought were tough are so easy!

Okay - enough with the Cathe love fest. Can you tell the endorphones are still flowing from my Cathe workout?
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote