Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-24, 05:50 PM  
wendug

Chris & Edi- Build 2- Day 44- 40 Min. Total Lower body workout + Shoulders. I don't understand why they added shoulders to a lower body workout, but luckily they don't do this often. I did not like the first move of this workout- heel elevated goblet squat with lunges. I found it difficult to put the foot I just lunged with back on the dumbbell for the heel elevated goblet squat. I did 2 sets as is, but was moving slowly having to reset my foot after each lunge. The last set I just did goblet squats only so I didn't have to reset my stance.

buffmama- When I do a beginner workout and find it challenging, I think a true beginner might be overwhelmed and give up. I've found quite a few "beginner" workouts on YT that I would not classify as such.
Old 04-10-24, 07:59 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Chris & Edi- Build 2- Day 44- 40 Min. Total Lower body workout + Shoulders. I don't understand why they added shoulders to a lower body workout, but luckily they don't do this often. I did not like the first move of this workout- heel elevated goblet squat with lunges. I found it difficult to put the foot I just lunged with back on the dumbbell for the heel elevated goblet squat. I did 2 sets as is, but was moving slowly having to reset my foot after each lunge. The last set I just did goblet squats only so I didn't have to reset my stance.
I have this complaint a lot with Chris/Edi as well as many other video instructors. They choose so many exercises that aren't very efficient and sometimes even awkward. I guess it's because there are only so many really effective exercises per muscle group and they wouldn't have followers/customers if they didn't have more variety than those basic moves. For upper body, I tend to like shorter workouts and then add on my own upper body work at the end to feel really thoroughly worked out and I really feel like I get the best workout doing it on my own. For lower body, I do like using video workouts because I can't train heavy enough at home to really work the muscles. Back work is hard at home too, but I still feel like I do better on my own with my own weights/exercises/pace. My kids who lift at the gym do mostly the same exercises all the time with progressive overload and get great results. They use heavy weights and longer rest periods.

On that note, today I did Chris and Edi Build Series 2 day 5 chest/shoulders/triceps. Skipped the ab work and added on extra chest/triceps work at the end.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-24, 08:16 AM  
buffmama

Justina Core-ography Pitbull 30 min (anti-rotation work done in plank, than rotation + power work done standing) and drum roll please Strength Side Primal Moves Follow Along 10 min. I didn't feel like getting on the TRX after Justina + pilates core work close to the floor felt right. This got my heart rate up and was perfect for today.

RE Programing - I like that Justina uses less exercises and progresses them in a way that really works for home workouts. She had a YouTube on this earlier in the week.

Doing the PT exercises has shown me that my ABductors are weak so I will continue to work on these. PT in the past has pin pointed this as well but clams and lateral walks did not address it as well. The best part? My squats feel more balanced!
Old 04-12-24, 07:43 AM  
buffmama

I did a pilates workout today that incorporated primal movements. Felt great! I thought I would do some TRX but felt perfect and so didn't.
Old 04-12-24, 09:25 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I have this complaint a lot with Chris/Edi as well as many other video instructors. They choose so many exercises that aren't very efficient and sometimes even awkward. I guess it's because there are only so many really effective exercises per muscle group and they wouldn't have followers/customers if they didn't have more variety than those basic moves. For upper body, I tend to like shorter workouts and then add on my own upper body work at the end to feel really thoroughly worked out and I really feel like I get the best workout doing it on my own. For lower body, I do like using video workouts because I can't train heavy enough at home to really work the muscles. Back work is hard at home too, but I still feel like I do better on my own with my own weights/exercises/pace. My kids who lift at the gym do mostly the same exercises all the time with progressive overload and get great results. They use heavy weights and longer rest periods.

On that note, today I did Chris and Edi Build Series 2 day 5 chest/shoulders/triceps. Skipped the ab work and added on extra chest/triceps work at the end.

Erica
For the most part, Chris & Edi do keep to the basics. I guess they throw in some moves like this to keep it interesting, although not always successfully. I think this is where some other instructors shine by sticking to the basics (Caroline Girvan, Jasper MacDermot, Lift w/Cee, Kayleigh Cohen).
Old 04-12-24, 02:57 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
For the most part, Chris & Edi do keep to the basics.
I think you are right that they do mostly stick with the basics.

buffmama - that youtube Primal Moves video looked so hard to me! I'm impressed! I really neglect flexibility, so I'm sure I'd hurt myself even attempting that.

Today was Chris and Edi's Build 2 Day 6 (pull). I skipped the cardio and added my own back work. I've been doing days 5 and 6 a lot lately and keep thinking I should move on to something else, but I like these workouts and am comfortable with them. And I keep saying this, but I get so overwhelmed with how many workouts I have saved to try that it's easier for me to just keep doing the same ones over and over. I just found another folder filled with workouts I saved that I haven't done yet.

Weather is horrible here - nonstop rain and so windy. So glad that we had perfect weather for the eclipse!

Erica
Old 04-12-24, 05:48 PM  
wendug

Chris & Edi- Build 2- Day 45- Dumbbell Arms & Shoulders Workout + Cardio. This workout was just okay. There was lots of rotational moves in the workout which was unique. I think I'm just ready to move on to something else, but I'm SO CLOSE to the end! I added on the Primal Movement workout that buffmama did the other day. It was a nice 10 minute flow. It reminds me of Movement Parallels Life. I guess I must be unique as I'm on the floor quite a bit. Yes, I'm on the floor playing with Gertie & Kitty, but it keeps my body more flexible!

buffmama- I watched Justina's video on programming and it made me think of Jasper- specifically his Cyberpump series. He repeated the same moves over 4 weeks making the moves a bit harder each week. The rotation was 8 weeks long and he switched up the moves after 4 weeks. It is with this type of programming where I really saw strength improvement, so I am in agreement with her programming philosophy. It can get a bit boring, but I was happy with the gains I saw.

Happy Friday!
Old 04-13-24, 08:02 AM  
buffmama

Today was Evolve Functional Fitness level 1 with Brent 25 min and 10 min Total Body TRX with Bodyfit by Amy. I liked the primal movement better but all were good. Off to look at Movement Parallels Life I think I saved some somewhere... Thanks Wendy!
Old 04-13-24, 05:50 PM  
wendug

Chris & Edi- Build 2- Day 46- 40 Min. Lower Body Workout. I don't think I've ever used so few sets of weights in a Chris & Edi workout! Only my 30s & 35s. I enjoyed this workout and even did the hip thrusts. I don't mind a few sets, but when I did Caroline's Iron series, all the hip thrusts she did bothered my back. Instead of one weight for a lot of the exercises, I used my 2 30s which worked well for me.

buffmama- It has been a while since I've done an Evolve workout, but I loved doing them when I was visiting my parents for a few weeks and didn't have access to weights. Some of the workouts are quite tough, especially with the advanced version of moves.
Old 04-13-24, 05:55 PM  
Erica H.

We had no power all day, so I did lower body on my own and then used Cardio Coach for the spin bike. Somehow I forgot until I had been on the bike for a while that I wouldn't be able to shower (we have well water, so no running water if no power). So I was pretty gross all day, but we finally got power back around 5pm and that shower felt so good.

Erica