Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-17, 04:42 AM  
acey

I wore regular contact lenses since I was 16. Lasik surgery (twice, as the first time didn't quite result in 20/20) at age 31, but got mildly near-sighted again 9 years later. The Lasik resulted in some major scarring, and like so many posters, I also began having dry-eye issues. So now my doctor (the one in LA concurs with the one I had in NY) says daily moist disposable lenses are the way to go.

After reading this thread, however, I think I'll ask about gas-permeables, just to see. But the doctor strongly encourages me to wear my lenses as little as possible! Since I work from home at the computer a lot, this is viable, but I cannot stand exercising with glasses on.

Also, at 46, he's got me wearing a stronger lens in my right eye and a weaker one in my left, to accommodate the far-sightedness clashing with the myopia. Bleh!
Old 03-26-17, 08:02 AM  
Sultana

Gosh a 5 page thread on eyes and no sign of Eyefit Colleen which makes me think that she is a VFer who hasn't been here as much. I like her reviews and comments.
Lately I've been using drops prior to insertion of my lenses and they are now going in quite easily again which makes me think I've also got some age related dryness.
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-17, 08:10 AM  
babykitty

I've been wearing gas perms for about 30 years (I'm almost 53) Recently became not as comfortable, hazy vision. Hadn't even thought about different solutions but heard about Clear Care, tried it and now absolutely no problems wearing my contacts again for 12 hours a day!
Being the frugal gal that I am I checked reviews on the store brands and saw they are not as good as name brand so I will stay with it. Good price at Sam's Club.
babykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 08:47 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Dede-it sounds like the daily lenses are really thin. I don't think I could use those. I think I'd end up ripping too many pairs. I am going to ask at my next appointment about a different brand and trying ones that you use for two weeks instead of a month.

Sherry
Sherry, the contacts I wear are actually only supposed to be worn for two weeks, but my doctor told me I could stretch them to a month (but no longer for fear of infection). My issue is just plain old dry eyes. But then I seem to be drying out in general, so no surprise there.
Old 03-29-17, 08:50 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Yikes. I'll be 60 in June and I'm still wearing mine . I do wear my glasses around the house for comfort. Life is so unfair to us aging women .

Summer breeze, he may have meant women who wear them full-time as opposed to the way we do it. Life is indeed unfair to us women.
Old 03-29-17, 04:09 PM  
Kizzy

dry eyes

I haven't read through the whole thread but I too...going on 60 have dry eye issues. I was diagnosed with that in my late 40's. My eye doctor said I would more than likely have to switch to wearing glasses in a few years. I am very nearsighted with astigmatism and my lenses look like coke bottles! No way was I going to switch to glasses. I know you aren't allowed to talk about supplements here but ladies...investigate fish oil. I know they have fish oil in prescription form also if you ask your physician about them. I take it over the counter and have had no issues for years. My family doctor practices integrative medicine and has me take 6 a day. My eyes are doing fine. I wear my contacts for an average of 13 hours or more a day. I tried the bifocal lenses for a few years but now I'm set up with mono vision so I can see up close with one eye and far with the other eye. I know some people don't do well with that but I've worn lenses since 18 years old and the brain apparently is more adaptable to that the longer you have worn contacts. Hope this info helps some of you.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 04:11 PM  
Kizzy

dry eyes continued

Oooops! Forgot to say I replace my contacts every month.
Old 03-29-17, 04:17 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post

Also, at 46, he's got me wearing a stronger lens in my right eye and a weaker one in my left, to accommodate the far-sightedness clashing with the myopia. Bleh!
Acey, my eyes have always been different. Last year, my optometrist did something similar, he sort of fudged the prescription a bit and it did seem to help. It sounds like you're having to make an adjustment since you're not used to it though. Just want to say it could work!

Kizzy, I've been hearing a lot lately that as you get older, you really need fat (in your diet) to keep things...from drying out. Including your digestive system, eyes, etc., and fish oil is one way to address that, so what you're saying makes sense.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-17, 07:39 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I haven't read through the whole thread but I too...going on 60 have dry eye issues. I was diagnosed with that in my late 40's. My eye doctor said I would more than likely have to switch to wearing glasses in a few years. I am very nearsighted with astigmatism and my lenses look like coke bottles! No way was I going to switch to glasses. I know you aren't allowed to talk about supplements here but ladies...investigate fish oil. I know they have fish oil in prescription form also if you ask your physician about them. I take it over the counter and have had no issues for years. My family doctor practices integrative medicine and has me take 6 a day. My eyes are doing fine. I wear my contacts for an average of 13 hours or more a day. I tried the bifocal lenses for a few years but now I'm set up with mono vision so I can see up close with one eye and far with the other eye. I know some people don't do well with that but I've worn lenses since 18 years old and the brain apparently is more adaptable to that the longer you have worn contacts. Hope this info helps some of you.
Is there a particular brand you use? You can pm me if this info isn't allowed in a post. TIA
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-17, 10:56 AM  
Kizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Is there a particular brand you use? You can pm me if this info isn't allowed in a post. TIA

I sent you a pm.