Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-09, 06:24 PM  
Castella

I've been looking at the clips of these dvds and getting a big fat head, thinking that I must be some kind of fitness super genius, since a lot of these movements are things that I've been doing on my own.

Sort of like when I started looking at yoga DVDs and all the positions were familiar and I thought, my gosh! I was BORN KNOWING THIS STUFF! Um, no, growing up in the 60s, I saw a lot of it then.

At least I feel somewhat validated and yes, the DVDs are in my shopping cart.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 06:55 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edie
Hi Katherine -

I just searched Ageless Mobility on Amazon and now I want that. I'm currently watching Scott Sonnon's clip off his Intu-Flow - I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have any of Scott's other dvds? I'd like to know if other VF's have tried his dvds and provide any info/reviews. His work looks like it will help me maintain joint and muscle flexibility and health as I age gracefully.

His dvds are a bit pricey, but I thinks it's a great investment.
I actually stumbled upon Scott Sonnon's stuff a couple weeks ago and have been wanting several of his DVD's. I finally broke down and ordered his FlowFit DVD and am now looking at the Intu-Flow one as well. There is something about him that I really like and I find his CST approach very interesting. His demo on Prasara yoga is simply beautiful. I'd also like to know if anyone has any of his stuff and what they think.
Old 02-08-09, 08:21 PM  
Edie

So far, I want Ageless Mobility, FlowFit, and Intu-Flow. I think these will really help along with yoga to keep my joints healthy and flexible.

I haven't hit the order button yet, total for all three is about $112 and Amazon. Anyone want to push me over the edge???
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 08:42 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Scott gave away copies of Flowfit for a short period of time. I still have mine and I've seen it on trade lists. It's interesting - one of those workouts I feel like I'm supposed to do, but never do.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 09:07 PM  
Kimberly33

I watched Flowfit, never tried it. I have no doubt it would work if you do it. But, I think it's the rare person who would want to do it. I think a lot of us would have to start very slow and wouldn't actually get much of a workout from it for a long time. It might be worth adding on to other workouts.

My intuition is that these joint mobility DVDs would be a better way of getting your joints into the right place to do it. But I haven't really seen them--that is seriously just an intuition.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 09:17 PM  
Edie

Just watched some of Scott Sonnon's Flow Fit clips on youtube. I'm probably not too interested right now in moving like that. So I'm down to Ageless Mobility and Intu-Flow. Kimberly - thanks for your comment.
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 02:54 AM  
RedPanda

I'm just previewing Amazing Mobility - it looks great and exactly what I was looking for

I can see why it's called amazing mobility - Greg Mihovich is amazingly flexible.

I'll write up a full review over the weekend.
Old 02-18-09, 03:30 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

won't buy
won't buy
won't buy

ARGH!
Old 02-18-09, 08:57 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I picked up Ageless Mobility.
I've done it once, and it's not quite what I expected, which was a 'total body workout' version of Maxwells "parts" series. The cover says you can do 40 minutes, 1 or 2 times a week for full benefits, but the workout ended up being over an hour long!

And I saw very few things similar to Maxwell (whose style and teaching I prefer). I just didn't feel as worked in a good way with Sonnon's stuff as I do with Maxwell's. And I didn't feel it was a good prep for a workout (as Maxwell's is for me) but rather a stand-alone, especially as my lower back felt a little wonky afterwards.

I wish I weren't a language person, because Sonnon's repeated use of "forwards" (instead of 'forward") was getting on my nerves. (though I found his use of "knee pit" for back of the knee, and "elbow pit" for inner elbow less annoying an just weird).

Some of the moves in the bonus footage--golf prep and tennis prep--look more interesting and useful, but they aren't work-along sessions and he only demos one side.

The best part of the workout: while I was in child's pose, my cat Pete decided to join me. First he rubbed up against my head, then plopped down in front of me.

Then, when I went into cobra, he really got into it: he jumped up on my butt (I still held the pose!), walked his front legs up to my upper back, licked the back of my neck two times, then rubbed against the side of my head.

For the next 5 minutes or so, I was the target of a lot of rubbing and rolling and purring ...and even a drive-by pooting! (Pete's a pooter, and he always seems to cut some really stinky cheese right as he passes in front of my face. Do you think it's on purpose? He is quite a 'stinker'--in more ways than one).

Verdict on the Sonnon workout: if I'd used it before buying, I wouldn't have bought it (I'd just do parts of each segment on the Maxwell DVD set to get a full body workout), but now that I have it, I will probably use it as a stand-alone once a week or less often (probably less often, because Maxwell's appeals to me much more).

On the plus side: if anyone is still wanting this, I'm very willing to get rid of it!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 09:32 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove
I thought the clip on Youtube looked really good! I know that it's not the same thing, but Jill Miller does some interesting things to mobilize the shoulders (and hips). I just saw that her dvds went retail awhile ago and they'll be at Netflix in less than two weeks.
I just went back to Netflix to put these in my queue, and they are all rated very low (as in 1.5 stars out of 5 average from around 40 users). I wonder why? There are only ratings, and no reviews, so it's impossible to know why they are rated like that. And since these could be ratings from non-exercisers, they could have much less validity (for me) than ratings from VFers.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
joint mobility, steve maxwell