Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-05, 09:04 PM  
Sarah K
VF Supporter

HeavyHands walking

I've had HeavyHands for several years now (3 lbs and 4 lbs). Have used them for the Great Weighted Workout, etc. back in the 90's and use the 3 lb weights for low impact tapes. I have also used them on walks on and off for years. Now, I am thinking about using them for weighted walks-- to up the intensity of walking without having to jog (I dread jogging now). I am thinking of using them up to three days a week (alternating with heavier weights two or three days a week, and hi-low aerobics and step tapes). I feel this may be a good workout for me because I like slower exercise (not really a fast walker, I'm a very slow jogger) but need a good cardio workout several times a week.

A couple of questions:

What have been your "results" from adding weights to walking?

Have you had any injuries from using them for walks?

I have the HeavyHands book (not the walking book) but find the whole book a little hard to follow. I just basically do a level 2 arm swing (up to my shoulder) and alternate with some delt flies, biceps curls, and tricep moves. Should I do more arm movements or is pumping my arms in any manner enough? Should I go lighter (2 lb) and swing up to my ears?

Has anyone used HeavyHands to do both weights and cardio in the same workout so that you have eliminated separate strength workouts?

Thanks for any advice.
Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 05:28 AM  
horsemom2

love the HH technique

I love using the HeavyHands technique with all workouts but usually use just one pound gloves or 1 1/2 pound soft palm weights. LOL don't even own an official *HeavyHands* weight! Anything higher could aggravate my shoulder since I do some of the HeavyHands movements on the rebounder and the G Force adds to the weight. I also sometimes sit and bounce on a stability ball while using light weights if I want to rest the lower body more and get one heck of a workout. The technique also works well with the recently popular cardio coach workouts cuz intensity is easily adjusted by poundage, lever, and range of motion besides speed.
I have read the Walking book which is on my tradelist and was also available at my totally nonprogressive library and think it was an easier read than Dr. Schwartz's other book. From Dr. Schwartz's studies, I definitely do think if I were to safely up the weights, I would get enough cardio and resistance from this type of workout alone. Actually, I believe my resting heartrate dropped the most after starting regular Heavyhands style workouts and without going anaeobic! HH IMHO may be the ultimate 4 limb AWT type of workout and may provide a more steady cardio effect than Firms, etc. Resistance can safely but slowly be increased to whatever level a person's joints can handle.

Since I learn better from demonstration than text, I really liked his 30 minute HeavyHands Instructional vhs a friend found at a thrift store for me. It starts with a demo of walking outside with HeavyHands then has a short but sweet workout done inside. It used to be sold online at two sites but may have become out of stock at both since no longer listed.
I would offer to lend it to you but am terrified of having it lost or damaged in transit since so rare now.

Adding just light hand weights to several non specific HH workouts made these type of workouts feel like a HH workout to me:
all Leslie and George walking workouts
Kari Andersons/Linda Evans A New You
Stephanie Herman's Dance with me: Jazz
Gaiam Get Moving
gentle kickboxing (or halftime TaeBo)

When using HH for outside walking, experiment with pumping and changing your range of motion and lever (bent arm or str8), adding just alittle sway or twist of the torso to involve the core more and/or punching motions, figure 8's, slow speedbag (double arm or single arm), swimming type movements (crawl, backstroke, breast and butterfly). Of course, you can always try more routine resistance work while walking as well like biceps curls and triceps kickbacks, shoulder presses, etc

Barb S
who prefers lower intensity workouts so never really upped the poundage
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 05:50 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

I've used 1 and 2 lb hand weights with Leslie walking workouts, and on the rebounder.

Unfortunately, I attribute my current problem with tendinitis (tennis elbow) to excessive enthusiasm with the handweights. It's taking a long time to go away, and I'm totally not doing weights at the moment.

So be careful.
Old 06-20-05, 07:25 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L
Unfortunately, I attribute my current problem with tendinitis (tennis elbow) to excessive enthusiasm with the handweights. It's taking a long time to go away, and I'm totally not doing weights at the moment.

So be careful.
I had the same problem when I started using weighted gloves (also due to excessive enthusiasm, and sometimes doing a weighted glove kickboxiing workout two days in a row). Though walking with weights would put the same stress on the elbow as punching with weights (because of the different movement), I wouldn't recommend doing it two days in a row.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-05, 12:44 PM  
KarenH

A good web site that shows pictures of some of the moves is
http://justjohn.4t.com/wwwhomepage.htm
www.martygallagher.com/more/60_0_1_0_M/ he explains his own routine
I use them with the Cardio Coach CD's while on my rebounder as Sean says the best cardio is to include the upper body if you can instead of just using the legs. The question is what is your purpose for using heavyhands, is it to lose weight or for strength? If for weight loss, Dr. Schwartz says to use 1 or 2 pound weights so that you can swing them rapidly while you walk. If for strength, then use higher weights as you will swing them slower. Have you been to Dr. Schwartz's web blog on heavyhands? He answers alot of questions about it. The site is http://heavyhands.blogspot.com/
HTH,
Karen
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 04:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2
I have read the Walking book which is on my tradelist and was also available at my totally nonprogressive library and think it was an easier read than Dr. Schwartz's other book.
horsemom, who is the author of the Walking book in your quote above?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 04:34 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar
horsemom, who is the author of the Walking book in your quote above?
Dr. Schwartz had written both books
I just found the walking one an easier read, less technical

I have already traded both of those books but continue to use his techniques in almost every workout

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavyhands, tendonitis, tennis elbow, walking with weights