Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-17, 10:47 AM  
DawnMarie

Walk my through my own mental blocks please

Good morning, I swear I get in my own way when it comes to working out. I spend more time in my day, mentally trying to figure out, what workout routine I want to do, then doing anything at all. I am a 48yo woman, mom of 9 active kids, homeschool some of them, work 3 part time jobs. Here's what I have.

Lots of kettlebells and kettlebell dvds. I also was a 3 month member of Lauren's Playground. I was consistent for 5 weeks at one time. Had some results. Couldn't stick with anything else, and couldn't justify spending the money anymore when I have dvds. However, there are often times that although I enjoy kettlebells, I feel bulky and heavy.

Pretty much every Leslie video ever made. Is Leslie enough and is her strength training enough? I've had plenty of success with Leslie, but then my mind plays a game, and I wonder if I need to be more bad a$$. Is Strong the new Sexy?

Ellen Barrett. Love the way I feel. Once I did nothing but Ellen, and had all sorts of compliments. I was energized and happy. Again, is this enough? Enough of what? Who knows?

The Firm. Have it all. Love the results. Always get them. But these can make me feel achy in my knees.

Various yoga, including Blissology and Ultimate Yogi.

Goals. I need to fit back into my clothes. In the last year, I've gained 15plus pounds. Have energy for my busy life. Positive outlook. My di3t stinks, and I know I need control over that. Most likely portion control. Or some magical supplement to assist me in that .

Help me over my own mental hurdles or tell me to admit, I'm just borderline crazy with some new disease called 'exercise confusion' lol. TIA
Old 08-15-17, 11:10 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

karen voight always had a great remedy - just commit to 5 minutes each morning (or evening). set your clothes out the night before (or sleep in them), choose a video the night before, get any equipment out and at the ready.

mornings are easier to commit to, whereas if you choose evenings, you have all day to dissuade yourself.

so bottom line..... just do 5 min.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

I'll plug my 6 week/3 systems or instructors approach every chance I get!

What I've been doing for two plus years now is creating 6 week rotations using 3 different systems or instructors. As an example I just finished 6 weeks of KBKB 7 Day Lean/Mossa/Skogg &Shaun T week. I did a week of 7 Day Lean workouts, then a week of Mossa, then finally Skogg & Shaun T. I then went back to 7 Day Lean doing the remainder of the workouts, etc.

What I like about this approach is. ...
1) it helps with my exercise ADD. I may not be able to commit to 60 or 90 days of a program and I can commit to a week.
2) it keeps me from overuse injuries. The regular mixing of intensities and styles means I stay injury free.
3) it keeps me interested and engaged. I don't ever feel like I'm missing out on something. I can create my groupings every 6 weeks.
4) my results. More so because it's kept me consistent with exercise. I've exercised approximately 300 days per year since I've started.

I've also created theme groupings to address a particular issue when I felt I needed it. As an example I've done a heavy lifting theme (Cathe, Body Beast, CLX), heavy reps (Jari Love, Slim Series, Les Mills), metabolic (BJ Gaddour, Cathe, Firm), etc.

Good luck!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
dnna

sit down and make out a workout plan for a week. do not change the plan unless sick or knees achy. Do this every week. mix up a few of your favorites, like always add in the Ellen workout as the last workout of the week. don't forget to put a rest day in, you have a busy active life going on.

Never thought I would do "only yoga",and now I never say "only yoga" If Ellen's workout make you feel good and you look good and get complements why not do them! do them a couple times a week or just do an Ellen week. I am now a big believer in doing moderate exercise and feeling good. My yoga workouts bring me a lot of joy and weirdly enough good results.

Good luck!
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 03:34 PM  
BunnyHop

I'll just add more to the 'do a little something' every day chorus.

I've been much more consistent since I started doing at least seven minutes of gentle yoga a day.

Sure, some days, that seven minute dvd routine is all I manage in terms of formal working out, but overall, it usually encourages me to do some more yoga, something else for flexibility, or fascia massage, or cardio or strength. I also do my workouts in shorter segments, usually 30 minute dvds, etc.

In terms of walking workouts, I just can't do Leslie at all any more. I'm a big fan of Jessica's because she presents things well (choosing just the right motivating thing to say), she's got LOTS of variety, and there's also just something about the way it's done that doesn't annoy me. I can never stick to her formal rotations, though.

Figure out what intrigues you, that you want to learn more about and make progress in. That's where I am with yoga, and I guess why I'm sticking with this one. (Specifically J Brown's Yoga dvd)

I do find that doing the same workouts day after day DOES work for me, but they've gotta be the right ones. (Certain Classical Stretch episodes, for example, just make me feel GREAT, others I'm sorta indifferent about)
Old 08-16-17, 05:13 AM  
dmlarue1

When I read about flipping 50 on videofitness I listened to a lot of her YouTube videos (I don't want to buy any more stuff, feel like I have enough). I am not 50 yet but I think a lot of what she says makes sense.

First weight loss is about diet. You can't out exercise a bad diet. I would much rather exercise than ever meal plan ugh! But that is where the loss will come from

Second she thinks most of us are over exercising. She says 20-40 minutes a day is plenty as most of us have stress filled lives and too much exercise can register as stress.

I think the 6 week plan is a great idea (and really lets you see if it is working), but I have severe ADD when it comes to sticking with a rotation. So maybe pick out a week and stick with that, just pick how many times a week you want to do strength cardio and yoga and then just plug in as you go

I think it is important to cross train and do lots of types of workouts. Every time I have stuck with just one method I end up with overuse injuries because most workouts are not balanced. Even yoga can be rough on wrists and shoulders
You could do 2 a week of weights, yoga and cardio and see how you feel
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 06:43 PM  
cecififi

Gosh - you had me at 9 kids and 3 part-time jobs. wow. you have a lot of energy.

I try to follow a few rules e.g.

I plan to workout in some capacity everyday so that when i miss a day or two a week i don't care 'cos i know i will be back at it the next day. this way, exercise is a hardened habit. it helps my mood, energy levels etc. i mix it up with weights, kettlebells, yoga/stretch, cardio etc.. this morning i only had 20 minutes to work out so i pulled up skogg and got going. the weekends i have more time so my workouts are 1hr +

I also watch my carbs - grains and veg/fruit. I try to limit carbs to under 20 grams per meal/snack

I mainly cook all my meals, making sauces, dressings etc from scratch - i just don't like the taste of processed food. And, my meals have to be quick so I have a few cookbooks for meals in 30 minutes or less

i also avoid wheat as a general rule - grains come from tiny bit of oats, rice, quinoa - no wheat!!!

this all helps me stay pretty trim (i have doughnut hole abs) and energetic

you are already doing a lot. you are pretty amazing!!!1
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-17, 02:40 PM  
PeakFitness

You know, if your blood pressure is okay and your bone density is good and your doctor says you are okay, then you're work outs are enough, right?
Old 08-17-17, 06:57 PM  
toomuchjoy

What are donut hole abs?
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote