Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-06, 02:29 AM  
marigot

I like red rome. I think that's the correct name.
marigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 08:55 AM  
lounsbury
VF Supporter

I used to be a Golden Delicious girl, but now Galas are my favorite -- I just got some excellent ones at the farmer's market on Saturday (excellent with peanut butter, yum! ). As others have also said, Pink Lady apples are good, too. I think they're pretty similar to the Galas. I got some Winesaps last week, wasn't too crazy about them. They seemed a little too mushy for me.

Loretta, not sure where you are, but I've seen Jonagolds here in SE PA.

I thought of that while riding my bike. ~Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity
lounsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 09:10 AM  
swankyswimmer

Galas are the absolute best! They are crunchy, sweet, and the perfect size!
swankyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-06, 03:39 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa B.
I was going to say Mutsu. I don't know if they are the same thing as Crispins, but they are delicious. I'm an apple snob -- I only like apples from the farmer's market. Supermarket apples are disgusting.

Elisa
Mutsu apples are Crispins, and I wish they were more readily available here! I've only seen them a few times and bought several pounds. Their skins are so crisp, and the flesh is spicy and sweet--YUM! I think they originated in Japan...

Fujis are by far my fave readily available apple--they juice well, too. Second choice would be Gala. If you all see Gravensteins or Grimes' Golden in the markets, give them a try--they taste close to Golden Delicious, but the flesh is more crisp, and the apples are much smaller. I think they're an heirloom variety. We see them in early fall here from local growers. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of apple varieties, I think?

There was a local grower here who tried out a Dutch variety called Rembrandts several years ago. (I'm not sure I have that name right.) They didn't keep at all, but they were special--gorgeous color, like from a 17th century still life, which is I suppose where the modern name came in, and sweet. Anyone had that one? Recall the name? I'm gonna google it...

Amy

Oh my, have a look at this article and scroll down the varieties! http://www.foodhistory.com/foodnotes...iqueapples.htm
No mention of the Dutch variety--I'm wondering "Rembrandt" was just the local growers' name?

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore

Last edited by amyzan; 02-20-06 at 03:51 PM. Reason: link
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-06, 11:59 AM  
moviegrl1737

I have to say Pink Ladies all the way. But I've gotten some alternate ideas for when I can't get my Pink Ladies. I usually shy away from apples if I'm not 100% sure that I like them because I hate a mushy apple and since the grocery store is a 15 minute drive away, I would end up with a passle of inedible apples.
Insanity Grad
Half Marathon Finisher

"What you do today is important because you are trading a day of your life for it." - Unknown
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote