Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-24, 02:53 PM  
JENILU

Looking for Muscle Building App/Streaming or DVDs

Hi. ( skip to * for what im asking about workouts if u like)
This may be long and jumbled ( and I may edit), but as y'all know, I have several autoimmune conditions, one involving steroids just to get out of bed, let alone have a day. I had endometrial cancer a few years back ( very quick find and removal) but went immediately into menopause. No research I can find on how polyglandular/ poly endocrine diseases and menopause work together or against each other, but needs to be, too rare to warrant research, so I am always my own guinea pig. Anyway, I rapidly lost bone and muscle ( no one will allow me HRT for several reasons, but I'd rather have a little quality of life then quantity of more life losing more organs. ( keep arguing that to Drs)
Anyway.... I am finally cleared after the cervical/spinal surgery to lift a little more, and I think my body is working well enough now to do so. Since I have to experiment, and Drs know so little about my disease combo, he has a read for more steroids to cover the energy for me to really build so.e bone and muscle( if I could just find info on Addison disease/steroids and muscle building, I'd be so happy, but Endocrinologists aren't used to patients being proactive.
** So I could take it slow, i have been doing a few beginner weight videos, in hopes they would be slow, so I'd be good with form, etc.. But they assume people just want quick "skinny" results I guess because there's jumping and fast moving and not a lot of focus on form. I have a ton of Dvds,so I can look back at those if they are suggested. Also open to thers. I probably don't need more, but have looked at: Drop Set Strength ( if it has shortercoptions), Shape Best Ever Hollywood Workout ( I know its boring, but I may need boring, and might be a good length), Prevention Strong with Begins Goal ( can't afford right now, but I like her. I have the free Nike app, but I'm half blind and can't use apps from phone), Michelle Diamond Slim, Strong and Sexy Body Sculpt.
Again,, I have a Lot, I just keep starting one and hurting myself because they weren't what I thought and I have to keep up.
I have to work with the steroids ( and possibly creatine later since I lack so many nutrients with gastroperesis and will try to get more in with liquids where I can, once I learn when and how to fuel.
I shopped forever around the holidays while apps and streaming had their sales. At the time, I felt I'd have to stay gentle and no stress on body forever, and that has its place. I got MWH, and I try to do some if hers during the week. But my tests haven't come out well and I seriously need to be building g - but watching the easy breakage and spinal stenosis. ( thought about weighted vest, but a little afraid with spine and shoulder issues)

**With DVDs already asked, are there apps that can be viewed on laptop or streaming, etc.. That focus more on building muscle, with form and mobility being a part ( of course ,the more perks the better as long as its affordable). I really want personal training, but its more than I could ever afford. Some modifiable hiit might be ok, once form is good, but I mostly want to build bone and muscle. ( w/ as little inflammation as possible), get and keep good mobility. Don't want a ton more equipment, but I have kettlebells, weights, bands with no handkes, etc..

I am so sorry I have such an inability to summarize. Hopefully y'all can kinda follow.

PS: I do havethe Erin O'Brien DVDs, but they are a little long, so may start shorter and go to them. I have a lot of Jessica and KCM, but sometimes people get hurt on their weight workouts and I'm just anxious about everything. Sometimes I can last thru Jessica's fusion workouts and I love the immediate feeling, but end up unable to do anything for a few days ( why I'm working on steroid amts, I also get sick after physical therapy for a few days but not since I've been given a little extra steroids on those days).
Thank y'all for your patience and willingness to read. I felt like most of the info was needed for ability to give me advice. Thank y'all and bless y'all

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-24, 03:20 PM  
bubbles76

Sounds like you need something slower moving, good form pointers, that won't stress your body. Bonus if you don't have to buy additional equipment. How about Kathy Smith's Secrets to a Great Upper Body and Secrets to a Great Lower Body? I always turn to these when I am starting over or don't want anything too frantic or fast moving. I believe it only uses dumbbells and a chair, except for one move that uses a slanted pillow for a bench.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-24, 03:34 PM  
prettyinpink

Sorry for your struggles.

I’m not sure about which video or streaming platform would work best for your situation, but I think if I were coming back from something major like that, I would start with something basic like bubbles mentioned, but only one set of each exercise at first, resting for the others, than working my way up to two sets, then three, over time.

Many videos for strength go very quickly without much rest, which is supposedly not as good for building muscle, so a little extra rest can be a good idea, anyway.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-24, 05:43 PM  
buffmama

I would do push/pull for the big muscles and start bodyweight to work on form. I would do a paper workout so you can go at your own speed. Start where you are - 2 sets of 6 reps? Increase you get stronger. Go to harder variations before adding weight. Justine Ercole had a recent video on YouTube about this. Lots of stuff on YouTube about form. Keep it simple. Play some music so you don't feel alone. . With time other stuff will work its way in.
Old 04-18-24, 08:54 PM  
JENILU

Y'all are great! Thankyou so much!! That Kathy Smith was meant to be on that list of considerations, and I've found it on YouTube, so will try it there first.

I have always been scared to trust myself with paper workouts, but I have actually considering it. I will look Justine up on YouTube.

Thankyou guys! ( also, unless, thankyou for summarizing it for me. Why can't I communicate like that??, lol)

Bless y'all 💙

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 04-18-24, 09:20 PM  
prettyinpink

If you decide to do a paper workout, there are lots to choose from, but I think this one is a great one to start with because it covers everything, uses dumbbells or kettlebells only, and is simple. She recommends starting with two sets, but you could start with one set if two are too much. There are photos, but you could also look up form videos on YouTube.

https://niashanks.com/lift-like-a-gi...bbell-workout/
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-24, 12:36 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
If you decide to do a paper workout, there are lots to choose from, but I think this one is a great one to start with because it covers everything, uses dumbbells or kettlebells only, and is simple. She recommends starting with two sets, but you could start with one set if two are too much. There are photos, but you could also look up form videos on YouTube.

https://niashanks.com/lift-like-a-gi...bbell-workout/
Oh thankyou so much!! I'd be so lost. I signed up for her newsletter. Apparently I was following her on YouTube years ago. It says I'm subscribed, but I don't remember her other than name being familiar. Anyway, thankyou!

Old 04-20-24, 06:32 PM  
Abby

Well, 10 Minute Solution Target Toning for Beginners with Cindy Whitmarsh looks like it is on dailymotion so you can see it online. I use the upper and the two lower body segments, but not the abs. Also, I don't lift weights overhead anymore and change those exercises--so no french press or military presses. With the the military press, I modify it-- so I look like an umpire making a "touchdown sign," with the humerus at shoulder level and parallel to the floor. (I have a Gilad dvd that uses this modification and he says that's as high as you need to go on that exercise, for what it's worth. He's older in that dvd--I can't remember the name of it, though...one of the xcelerates?) And tricep kickbacks or laying down on your back to work triceps seem good enough for me. I do this to protect shoulder joints and rotator cuffs. On your back seems to really isolate that muscle.

I think a lot of beginner weight workouts are nice in that you can progressively try out heavier weights without a ton of reps or quick pace or overworking muscles.
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-24, 08:24 PM  
alisoncooks

How about Powerfit Harmony? It’s a good, gentle system to get started.

ETA: I also love Kaleigh Cohen on YouTube. She has a few beginner workouts that are particularly form-focused and slower.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-24, 12:14 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Well, 10 Minute Solution Target Toning for Beginners with Cindy Whitmarsh looks like it is on dailymotion so you can see it online. I use the upper and the two lower body segments, but not the abs. Also, I don't lift weights overhead anymore and change those exercises--so no french press or military presses. With the the military press, I modify it-- so I look like an umpire making a "touchdown sign," with the humerus at shoulder level and parallel to the floor. (I have a Gilad dvd that uses this modification and he says that's as high as you need to go on that exercise, for what it's worth. He's older in that dvd--I can't remember the name of it, though...one of the xcelerates?) And tricep kickbacks or laying down on your back to work triceps seem good enough for me. I do this to protect shoulder joints and rotator cuffs. On your back seems to really isolate that muscle.

I think a lot of beginner weight workouts are nice in that you can progressively try out heavier weights without a ton of reps or quick pace or overworking muscles.
Thankyou so much!! I needed those tips. I have another older DVD with 10 minute wo's by her. ( natural journeys or something). I'll take a look at it!

Tags
building muscle, restarting