Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-24, 02:37 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Kittybug…I had a similar experience once I scaled back on the crazy cardio. I was gaining weight and couldn’t figure out why. Plus more joint aches and pains. It was a stressful time taking care of my SIL and exercise was my relief. Just before Covid, I started scaling back because my cortisol levels were quite high on tests. Then I broke my foot and had no choice but to do sitting/floor work. And that’s when I saw the changes. Still need my cardio and add higher intensity, maybe once per week but not daily.

Kate…I burst out laughing about the hot flash. Maybe that’s what I was feeling too.
So glad to hear this!! I never would have believed it for myself until it happened. Thing is that I, like you, LOVE that kind of crazy cardio (and other workouts) but it apparently hadn't been doing me many favors anymore, and I wasn't aware of it. I was bummed about having to ditch so much of what I had been doing for what I could do...until nice things started happening, that is.

Once I'm feeling confidently healed, I will really have to reevaluate and see how/when to reincorporate those workouts. My focus has just changed so much it makes me wonder, hah!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-24, 05:41 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Phew! Either the forum is running slow or my internet is shaky in anticipation of the impending storm..

Workouts-Cathe Live #486 Bet Your Lower Body. Too many deadlifts, of course. I couldn’t believe it when at the end she talked about variations in exercises and I said to the screen “FOUR versions of deadlifts are NOT variety.” Nuff said on that. Otherwise it was an okay workout.

Tuesday was the step class at the gym. WonderBee, the gym was closed for maintenance last week, so last night was the first night back after they reopened. Again, I enjoyed the class! Some of the same people were there from the first time I went. and the group is really very friendly. I intend to go every week as I had a lot of fun. There is a woman in the class who is pregnant and due in 2 weeks! She looks great and I’m thinking Good for her for keeping up her exercising, but please don’t have that baby in here!

Today was Vintage Wednesday, Step N Motion 2. I liked it. I see those as transitional workouts that were bridges between “aerobic dance” and step. Of course I am older than you guys, so I remember more about the kinds of workouts that were available at the time. The arm movements added intensity and interest since just doing the basic steps would have been, well, boring as you know what. How much can you do “up and down” without anything else? Anyway, that’s my take on it, and this was a fun, nostalgic workout for me.

I’m up for the OG Step N Motion next Wednesday. I actually own that one.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-24, 05:52 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hmmmm..... what would one name a baby born in the middle of step class???

kittybug and Chele, I'm very interested in your scaling back conversation!

Kate... help a girl out.... do you know what that number 003 is called, or what date it was released? I want to watch the preview and think about maybe buying the download. The previews she has on YouTube aren't labeled very well, but I'm wondering if it is All About Legs from May 22, 2014.

Well, I was going to get up and do a higher heart rate cardio this morning and... I slept too late again!!! I haven't been sleeping very well lately, so I take it when I can get it.

Anyway... nothing to report here.
Old 03-27-24, 06:02 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I’m baaack!

I’m pretty much done with our taxes. We always owe money so I am not in a hurry to file, but I’m glad when it’s done and ready to go.

WWW, those early Cathe Lives are IMHO much more challenging than the later ones. I’ve done the one you loved—003. I recommend the original Boot Camp as well—that’s number 001. OH, girl, I was definitely HOT doing that workout. The video really was grainy—grainier than Step In Motion 3. Hey, there was a guy in this workout!!

PP, Cathe has been cuing that way since jump. That’s her style, and she is not alone—many other step instructors cue “on the move.” It’s not my preference, but Cathe’s step isn’t that complicated so it’s easier IMHO to pick up the choreo. Funny but I really didn’t notice the screeching or too much hootin’ n hollerin’ in Step N Motion 2—I was heavily concentrating on getting the arms coordinated with the legs. TBH I think you are too young to fully appreciate the cheesy nostalgia of a workout like this one. I will be interested in your thoughts on OG Step N Motion!

Ectobug, interesting the differences you are noticing with the workouts you are doing now. Maybe your body is better suited to them? I always thought that certain types of workouts are better for certain types of bodies, but the trick is figuring out what works for you!

LL, I am also a fan of Star Trek. I’ve seen the movies and the earlier spinoff series—Voyager, TNG, and my favorite—Deep Space Nine. I think I’m he only one who really liked that one—it was a bit darker than the others.

Waves and hugs!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 03-28-24, 08:48 AM  
Peukalo-Liisa
VF Supporter

PBOD - Strength Training Two. It was a bit meh. Tracey was overly happy and squealing 'woohoo!', while I didn't share her enthusiasm Some compound moves felt rather awkward - e.g. plank jumps with your hands on dumbbells combined with overhead press. I think I will sub her strength days with something else next week.

Kittybug, I guess BB's digital dvd offering is something similar to Udemy - you can buy a video course, but you can only play it via their own player in the app. So if the company goes away, you lose your access.

Bee, sleep is very important

Cataddict, I liked DS9 quite a lot, but the ending made me rather sad. I think other series are more optimistic

Waves everyone!
Old 03-28-24, 09:56 AM  
ChelePA

Not really a sci-fi girl unless you count Guardians of the Galaxy. Actually, I do enjoy the Star Wars movies but not a Trekkie.

It rained all day here yesterday, so I wanted to get some steps in last night. I did Chris’ replay of her basic step from 2022. I sped it up to 1.25 since I was using Roku. Yikes Cataddict! I really had to pay attention to the moves so I didn’t trip over the step. 1.05-1.15 is probably my sweet spot depending on the choreography and BPMs.

I’ve been enjoying the premixes from Cathe’s To The Max this week. Today was the Triple Tabata. Only using one riser. Followed with Chris’ replay of a step and sculpt routine. 3 minutes of step cardio alternating with 3 minutes of resistance loops exercises. Really liked the format.

Kate… she’s not doing her class in Niagara until May. I actually considered going. I know crazy! We have too much going on around that time.

One day I hope to take a Cathe class, and maybe one of hers live. A girl can dream!
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-24, 10:55 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Happy Friday Junior!

I have a cat-induced sleep deficit. Sometimes Cheeto decides he wants to snuggle, like all night, and he chooses me for his spoon fest, but this time it ended up with him curled up in my chest, head right under my chin, and yet somehow still also pushing me to the edge of the bed. He gave me stinkeye when I tried to move him and came right back again, snuggling in even tighter. Sigh.

Yesterday was PBOD BBarreless Lower Body as my warmup for Ballet Beautiful Backstage Workout. Tracey used a long band as the 'barre' to help with balance but it also kinda burned the arms (of course, I think my band is shorter than hers). But perfect warmup for all the muscles MHB was about to slaughter, UG!! I swear I love to hate that woman so much these days!!

Oh, LL, that's it, that's one of the moves I detest (remembering someone asked about that recently, Kate maybe?) which is planks with the hands on dumbbells!! Always hurt my hands and felt awkward. And yeah, I really don't like the idea of only being able to stream from an account! What's the point of purchasing a 'digital DVD' if you can't download or otherwise own it?? Hmph. But knowing me, I'll probably do it anyway at some point.

Hah, Chele, I like Guardians too! There have been far, far too many superhero movies released to where I just don't care, but I do like some of the first ones like Thor, Guardians, and Iron Man.

Bee, that's funny about a baby born in step class! When I was taking spin at the gym, I recall a newer gal who showed up one day said to the teacher after class that if she ever took a break during class, it was because she was pregnant and needed to, and the rest of us were shocked. She was apparently quite pregnant too, and you never would have known it either in her appearance or performance!

FN2, I'm very interested in your thoughts about different workouts being suited for different body types because I have to say, I've been kind of coming to that conclusion, actually. I'm sure we could open a can of worms here, hah!! And yes, figuring it out is tricky. Some of the workouts I'm doing now I never, ever would have delved into this deeply had I not been so injured (looking at you, TA). Did you have a bad storm?

Waves all!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-24, 01:05 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quick post since gotta get my workout in before Opening Day Baseball!

WonderBee, here’s a way to get to the clips of the Lives. Go to Cathe’s website, Shop, Downloads, featured downloads (Cathe Live is the feature), and search for 003. The clip is there. You can use this to look at any of the Lives rather than going to YouTube. You are correct, though, the one that WWW is referring to is All About Legs.

LL and Ectobug, I won’t do planks with my hands on dumbbells! I can’t figure out why so many instructors recommend doing this for renegade rows or other exercises “to protect the wrists” when this just kills my hands/wrists!

Ectobug, Cheeto! I can relate to CSDD (Cheeto Sleep Deprivation Disorder)!! This morning one of our guys got right on top of me, scootched all the way up so that he was close enough to kiss me, and he did! I love the boy, but nope, not loving THAT! At the same time he was purring like a “freight train” as my DH would say.

Waves and hugs!!

Old 03-28-24, 01:22 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post

Kate... help a girl out.... do you know what that number 003 is called, or what date it was released? I want to watch the preview and think about maybe buying the download. The previews she has on YouTube aren't labeled very well, but I'm wondering if it is All About Legs from May 22, 2014.
https://www.cathedownloads.com/all-about-legs/

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-24, 01:30 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I LOVE Guardians of the Galaxy (all). I love me some Groot!!

I'm up for Step N Motion 1 on Wed. I previewed a little. Isn't it funny how high her voice is? And that big hair! LOL

Today I knew I did not want any more lower body stuff so I did Chris' Complete Upper Body and Abs Workout: Effective HOME Exercises with Dumbbells and Loop Band. Whew! Long title!
VERY good upper body with a strong core focus. Really blended well. I generally went a tad heavier than Chris as you only work 45 seconds.

Friday tomorrow already!!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fierce watulans, watulan check-in