Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-10-10, 11:46 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Best free-standing heavy bag workouts?

The DH has expressed an interest in getting a heavy bag for kickboxing workouts. (He beat the crap out of one in the sporting goods store, so I think I have found his Christmas gift.)

Are there any good workouts that use the free-standing style bag? I read an older thread from 2008 that suggested workouts. One of which now costs almost $200!

We saw a kickboxing 4-pack at Target with Guillermo Gomez and Janis Saffel. Is he annoying at all?

Good cueing would be helpful.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 02:01 PM  
rickets
VF Supporter

My husband LOVES his heavy bag! Actually, he's on his third one. He isn't someone who likes to use videos for exercise, though, so the only one I can recommend is the one I use, which is the "Heavy Bag Bonus" on Cathe's MMA Boxing DVD. It's too short to be a stand-alone workout, alas.

Last Christmas, since my husband doesn't do the video thing but does like to listen to music while boxing, I made a CD of thumpy, motivating music for him to use during his workouts. That's something else you could look into if you can't find any good DVDs.
rickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 03:41 PM  
Pascal

I can't offer any advice on the Guillermo Gomez and Janis Saffel workout, but I second the vote for the bonus bag segment on Cathe's MMA: Boxing. It's a good 18 min. long and it works ya! I also really like the heavy bag segment on Amy's Rumble DVD - but A LOT of people found that workout slow, lacking energy, and boring. Amy's Kickbox Xtreme contains a bonus bag segment, but it's only about 7 min. in length - to me, it doesn't warrant the purchase of the DVD if that's all you're going to use it for.

A workout I really enjoy which uses the heavy bag quite a lot is The Pit: Lower Body. It is much more enjoyable (to me) than the upper body workout (don't even get me started on the total body workout and that sadistic 'black jack' segment!!!). Even though it's a lower body intensive workout, there are still quite a few punches in there. This one doesn't have 'good cuing' per se, as most of the punching segments are sort of free-form, I just remember feeling like a 'toughie' every time I do this workout.
Old 11-11-10, 01:04 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions! I did order The Pit.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 11-14-10, 02:15 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Anybody else? I thought a few more VFers had heavy bags.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 11-14-10, 02:55 PM  
Irisg1

I was going to recommend "Real Kickboxing" workouts, but I think these are the ones you are referring to the price being close to $200. now. That is insane. I paid about $50. when I bought mine. Those are the only straight bag workouts I have. The others only offer a bag segment.

Amy Bento's "Rumble" has a pretty cool bag workout. I also enjoy Cathe's MMA bag workout. I pre-ordered the new workout by Susan Chung, which is going to contain a heavy bag segment too. I will let you know what I think of it, once I get it and have had a chance to try it out

Bag workouts are fun, I don't know why there aren't more of them out there.
Old 11-15-10, 10:38 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks!

I found a Bas Rutten DVD/CD set that looks good. It has a heavy bag section.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7424686181254#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas_Rutten

The DVD is instructional. The workouts themselves are on audio CDs. He shouts out the combos. That way one can do the workout without having to watch the TV.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 11-15-10, 05:21 PM  
RedPanda

I went over to Amazon to check out the Bas Rutten set and was so dazzled by all the five-star reviews, so I ordered it.

It's my Christmas present to myself.

I particularly like this review: "These workouts are just filthy, nasty. I train with the boxing and all-around workouts and they are just brutal, particularly the all-around workout. (And by brutal, I mean awesome.)"
Old 11-15-10, 05:28 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Thanks!

I found a Bas Rutten DVD/CD set that looks good. It has a heavy bag section.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7424686181254#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas_Rutten

The DVD is instructional. The workouts themselves are on audio CDs. He shouts out the combos. That way one can do the workout without having to watch the TV.
Excellent Choice! (The cd's are perfect for anyone who has a heavy bag and wants a great workout.)
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 06:25 PM  
cardio.junkie

I use my heavy bag for nearly ANY kickboxing workout. The only times I don't is when there is a ton of hi/lo...like some of Amy's. Otherwise, most any kickboxing workout will do just fine! You might have to modify a bit here and there, but it's usually no biggie!

D
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxing bag, heavy bag