Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-03, 02:53 PM  
hallam

Ballet Workout Recommendations?

I would really like to try a Ballet workout. I currently do "Pilates for Dummies" at the beginner level, and only have limited ballet experience.

Any suggestions?
hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 10:27 AM  
auri5

Ballet videos

Hi, I really like the New York City Ballet workout! I've been doing this tape for about 3 weeks, about 3x/wk & I've already noticed good definition in my arms, legs & torso! Plus you get a good stretch & it''s relaxing. Like a lot of people who have reviewed it, I don't care much for Sarah J. Parker's endorsement at the beginning & I only saw it once & felt it was so irrelevant to the actual workout! But that's my 2 cents. I've heard positive things about Ballet BootCamp- but never actually did the tape. Maybe someone else can share their experiences with other ballet workouts?
auri5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 10:40 AM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

I also really like the NYC Ballet workout and liked what it did for my legs. I also bought a copy of the book, which I love to take with me when I travel. There is a new workout coming out at the end of this month, which I have on order from Amazon. You can find more information on the new workout here: http://www.nycballet.com/programs/nycbworkout2.html
ATB,
Lisa
Old 05-15-03, 10:45 AM  
Barbara F
VF Supporter

hallam -- I have a copy you can have if you'd like it (VHS); e-mail me if you're interested.
Old 05-15-03, 11:09 AM  
witcheywayz

not exactly a ballet workout but since you mentioned you are doing pilates.

Kari Anderson's Angles, Lines and Curves II

I did it last night and the floor segment is truly like dancing on the floor. I've seen it described as a pilates, yoga, ballet mix.

It doesn't have any modifications but I just modified it myself when i needed to.

Lori
witcheywayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 11:24 AM  
DJ-H
VF Supporter

I second Lori's recommendation. Angles Lines and Curves and ALCII are both wonderful! They make me feel very graceful, relaxed and stretched!

DJ
DJ-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 11:44 AM  
keilan00

When you become more advanced, Ballet BootCamp 2 is awesome!!!

there is a video clip of this video available at www.collagevideo.com
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 01:27 PM  
hallam

Thank you all so much for your input.

Thanks to Barbara F's generosity, I am going to start with the New York City Ballet Workout, and maybe when I get a little more skilled I will check out the Ballet BootCamp tapes.
hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 01:50 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

If you want to try a workout that is similar to a ballet class, I would start with Melissa Lowe's Ballet Workout. It's old and the production is not very good. However, it is similar to a ballet class.

It's great that you will get to try NYC Ballet. I think this workout is very relaxing. It is more like a ballet stretch workout with a little bit of toning.

Ballet BootCamp uses ballet for toning work. I like the floorwork section of this workout.

There are also a lot of fusion workouts that incorporate ballet, yoga, and pilates. A good one to try for beginners is Breakthru Pilates Plus. It's taught by Tracie York and Michelle Nivemdomsky-Dozios (sp?). I think one of these instructors is the Pilates For Dummies instructor. I don't have PFD so that's why I'm not sure. But I thought I would mention both instructors to see if you recognize one of their names.

Helen
Helen S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 02:03 PM  
Cim
VF Supporter

I also think Melissa Lowe's ballet tape is a good one in that it's set up like a ballet class.

Jennifer Kries also has some dance and dance fusion workouts which might be interesting to you.
Cim is offline   Reply With Quote