Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-13, 11:10 AM  
Hilary

I'm Feeling the Cathe Love!

For ages I did almost nothing but Cathe, but we drifted apart the last few years. I stopped pre-ordering after Shock Cardio and I didn't even buy her workouts the last few years. Then the new series was available for pre-order and they sounded good. I almost canceled at the last minute but they told me I had to re-submit my CC info and during the time I was exchanging emails, I changed my mind. And then some lovely VFer posted about the XTrain series on sale at Collage and I went for that too. Anyway, now I'm doing an XTrain rotation and am totally into Cathe again. I know some people really love the old workouts and I do too. But I really like this new, slightly rounder and less well-cut, gracefully aging, more moderate Cathe. She used to be such an incredibly toned Energizer Bunny that she made me feel a little inadequate. The new, (IMO) improved Cathe seems to have a few limitations and even admits she's out of breath when I'm gasping for air myself. And I'm so glad she's acknowledged that some of us need low-impact, at least some of the time. With the old Cathe, I felt like EVERY single workout was going to be super-intense; now I feel like I can alternate the toughies with some that aren't quite so over-the-top. IMO, no instructor consistently combines great workouts, great sets, great backgrounders, great music, and great cuing like Cathe. Sure, there's things she could do better, but for a variety of well-thought-out workouts, she certainly is one of the top in the industry.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 11:39 AM  
mrsyancy

Great post.....ITA
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 11:56 AM  
PhyllisG

OK I have to know as a past big time Cathe fan--the key word is past. Which new ones are you liking? I could definitely enjoy some less intense Cathe workouts. I always liked her as an instructor and her crew too but after STS I just wanted to lightened up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 12:42 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

ditto, Hillary!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 12:52 PM  
Hilary

Well, Phyllis, I haven't done all her newest yet, but so far I absolutely love Party Rockin' Step 1 (and if I could tear myself away from doing #1, I'm sure I'm going to like PRS 2 as well). Also Flex Train, Lean Legs & Abs, Great Glutes, and Rockout Knockout. In XTrain, I'm really enjoying All Out Low Impact HiiT, Cardio Leg Blast, and Legs. I also really like doing the 100-rep challenges in XTrain. From doing TA and Tonique so much in the past couple of years, I feel like I've lost upper body strength, so I like Cathe's emphasis on that as well. My heavy dumbbells were collecting dust and when I pulled out my 30#ers, I was like, "Whoooo, did I ever use these?" But they seem lighter now, or at least somewhat less heavy
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 12:53 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Hilary, ITA! I haven't bought any of her new ones, but I love Cathe. I've been on a Cathe kick this week. She's a great instructor!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 01:25 PM  
PhyllisG

Thanks Hilary. You listed some of the ones I have been looking at. I too have spent the last couple of years doing TA, P57 and walking with Leslie. Tho I have also been doing LMP--love it.
Old 10-26-13, 01:27 PM  
PhyllisG

Thanks Hilary. You listed some of the ones I have been looking at. I too have spent the last couple of years doing TA, P57 and walking with Leslie. Tho I have also been doing LMP--love it.
Now I am doing UY & YW365 and really liking them. Glad to have yoga back into my life but also would like to get some more weights involved too.
Old 10-26-13, 01:51 PM  
juberann

Thanks for your post, Hilary. I am pretty new on the Cathe train but am loving what I have done so far for many of the same reasons you listed.......I have a couple of the brand new ones as well as XTrain and Gym Style so I have a well rounded mix of old and new. It took me a long time to even attempt one of her workouts and while the ones I have done are without a doubt challaging, most are doable with a few modifications here and there and I love, love the music in the new ones!!!!!!! I can tell she is a "kinder, gentler" Cathe then she was a few years ago but she still packs a wallop. The ONLY thing I would change about her workouts is putting in shorter premixes (around the 30 minute mark). I always smile when I see an "express" premix and it's over an hour long All in all, I am feeling the Cathe love, too, and it's a blast being on this "bandwagon"
Old 10-26-13, 02:38 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I was feeling the need to get back to some traditional weight training after focusing on kettlebells for quite some time. I pulled out Total Body Trisets (Low Impact series) yesterday, and the lower body workout was perfect. I have not purchased much Cathe in the past several years and have my collection whittled down to Turbo Barre, TB Trisets, Pyramids and Muscle Max. I've been looking at clips of Super Cuts and the X-Train HIIT (which looks fairly low impact), and those look super good. I don't like long workouts, but with Cathe you always have a good choice of shorter premixes.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, xtrain