Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-13, 07:32 AM  
Bebop

Review of Cathe's new DVD's

I'm starting this thread in the hopes that people will post their reviews of the new DVD's.

I'm sure there are other's like me that didn't pre-order but were waiting for reviews before purchasing. Thanks.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 10:43 AM  
Chomper

I've previewed Rockout Knockout, Flex Train and X10 and so far my impression is that this is the Great Cathe Remix set. I recognize every cardio move and weight/bodyweight exercise from earlier workouts. The music is really fun.

Rockout Knockout looks more like Hard Strikes than Kick, Punch and Crunch. The combo section is only 16 minutes. The combos look simple and easy to pick up (for people who like combos).

There are a number of jumping jacks in Rockout Knockout and X10, which seemed to be an issue for some people.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 10:47 AM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I've previewed Rockout Knockout, Flex Train and X10 and so far my impression is that this is the Great Cathe Remix set. I recognize every cardio move and weight/bodyweight exercise from earlier workouts. The music is really fun.

Rockout Knockout looks more like Hard Strikes than Kick, Punch and Crunch. The combo section is only 16 minutes. The combos look simple and easy to pick up (for people who like combos).

There are a number of jumping jacks in Rockout Knockout and X10, which seemed to be an issue for some people.
16 minutes?? Is everything else a cardio burst or are there weight moves?

When you say "a number of jumping jacks," do you mean there are a lot of plain jacks like HS? Or are the jacks as mixed as they appear in the clip (for example, the clip shows squat jacks and crossover jacks, at least)?

What kind of premixes on RK, if you don't mind being harassed?
Old 10-01-13, 11:27 AM  
alydinva

I did the X10 Fat Burning Circuit this morning. It is non-stop! Which I guess makes sense because the workout is so short. I really enjoyed it. My shoulders were dead at the end, but that tends to be the case with metabolic workouts.
alydinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 12:54 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post

When you say "a number of jumping jacks," do you mean there are a lot of plain jacks like HS? Or are the jacks as mixed as they appear in the clip (for example, the clip shows squat jacks and crossover jacks, at least)?

The first two sections are Cardio Kickbox and Cardio with Gloves. When I say they're like Hard Strikes, I mean that she has you do a move for a little while, then move to something else. Ice breakers, sequential jump kicks, etc. She starts out with the Jack and Jab, and uses jumping jacks and jump rope as a transition between moves.

There are no weights. But the Cardio with Gloves section is clearly meant to either wear the 12 oz gloves or maybe wear 1 lb weighted gloves or hold small weights. There are fun little boxing combos like jab, jab, cross, slip, upper. But there are also jumping jacks where you lift your arms overhead.

The thing I am disappointed about was that the original description was fun combos with cardio blasts in between. But the workout is not chaptered in such a way that even making a premix like that would be possible.
Old 10-01-13, 12:59 PM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
...the Great Cathe Remix set. I recognize every cardio move and weight/bodyweight exercise from earlier workouts. The music is really fun.
I'm struggling with what to call this group of dvds (since it's not a series)....I might rename my download folder "2013 Cathe Remix Set"....I like it!
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 01:02 PM  
Chomper

Sorry, correction: there are no jacks in the Cardio with Gloves section. It's actually pendulums with lifting the arms over the head.
Old 10-01-13, 01:08 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post

There aren't too many jacks in Rockout Knockout, as long as you are okay that there will be some.

I was more struck by how many jacks are in X10, considering that she only needed to put together 10 minute cardio segments.

Rockout Knockout info from Cathe's site:

Chapters:

Warm Up
Kickbox Cardio
Cardio With Gloves
Kickbox Combos
Stretch
Heavy Bag Bonus

Premixes:

Rockout Knockout + Heavy Bag Bonus: (Warm Up + Kickbox Cardio + Cardio With Gloves + Kickbox Combos + Heavy Bag Bonus + Stretch)

Timesaver #1: (Warm Up + Kickbox Cardio + Cardio With Gloves + Stretch)

Timesaver #2: (Warm Up + Cardio With Gloves + Heavy Bag Bonus + Stretch)

Timesaver #3: (Warm Up + Kickbox Cardio + Kickbox Combos + Stretch)

Timesaver #4: (Warm Up + Cardio With Gloves + Kickbox Combos + Stretch)

Scrambled #1: (Warm Up + Kickbox Combos + Kickbox Cardio + Cardio With Gloves + Stretch)

Scrambled #2: (Warm Up + Kickbox Cardio +Kickbox Combos + Cardio With Gloves + Heavy Bag Bonus + Stretch)
Old 10-01-13, 01:17 PM  
Bebop

Keep these reviews coming.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 01:59 PM  
MKEMom

I just did Party Rockin' Step #1 (the dancey one). It is very complex and dancey compared to Cathe's usual step. I love step and catch on quite easily to choreography, so I really enjoyed it.

I usually do step workouts without risers the first few times until I'm really comfortable with them, and I think this will take at least two more times on just the platform till my muscle memory really kicks in and everything gels.

The music was fun, but I was barely paying attention to it because I was so focused on learning the choreography. I thought combos 1-4 were relatively easy to pick up, but I found 5 and 6 to be quite challenging. At the end, Cathe goes through all six combos twice. I went back after it was over and replayed combos 5 and 6. I think I'll do better with them next time

There were lots of new (to me) moves here. Some of them may appear in the Shock Cardio step routines, but I don't have those, so I don't know if some of the moves are totally new or just haven't appeared recently. There were also very familiar ones, like the hip-hop repeater, triples around, etc.

I did not find it very intense, but I didn't have risers on, so I'm sure it will be more so with them. Without the risers, it felt about the same to me as a nice, brisk walk, which is a good thing. I always like to have workouts like that in my arsenal. It was fairly low-impact, which is also nice.

Cathe's cueing isn't perfect, but it's pretty good, much better than in Low Impact Challenge. She seems more upbeat than in Low Impact Challenge also, which I found to be kind of a gloomy workout.

So, if you like dancey, more complex step, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't. I think once I get the hang of it, this will be one of my go-to workouts on days when I don't feel like working out.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe 2013 workouts, cathe remix series, flex train