Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-13, 12:08 PM  
acey

I did RK this morning. I liked it. But then, I'm prone to liking just about any kickboxing workout. I agree the cuing is not Cathe's best, but with the simple combos that wasn't an issue for me.

I really liked the music. Having come of age in the '80s, I loved hearing versions of recognizable songs like "She-Bop."

The backdrop was kind of depressing though. Looked like Manhattan on a dark dreary morning.

Cathe seems a lot mellower than she was back in the day, like with the Cross-Train Express series. I kind of miss that extra bit of peppiness.
Old 10-29-13, 07:53 PM  
isebelleg44

I did this one again today and even did the heavy bag section bagless. I still don't love this workout, but unlike Hard Strikes I did it again. The kickbox cardio section is the only part that got my heartrate up. I am not crazy about the boxing section. I really like the second combo she did in the kickbox combo section and wish the rest of the combos were like that. I am still shaking my head at the 4th "combo."

Overall I am still disappointed and I am not sure how much I will reach for this one.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 06:25 AM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydinva View Post
You should also look at Patrick's new kickbox DVD Kickbox Burn. It's an hour long, but it's fantastic.
Thanks! Will def. look into this.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 08:21 AM  
Conni

Did this one again today and I feel that Cathe is almost "phoning" it in on the last segment. She has no energy and is not motivating me at all. In KPC she was constantly "in your face" about giving 100 pct and keeping the energy high. I think her lack of connection is what is making me so bored in the last section. I subbed crunches for upper and lower body during the last "arm only" part, which is more of an afterthought really. What is the purpose of that segment? Just doesn't flow like a Cathe workout normally does.
I just have a mental question mark on this one...
Old 10-30-13, 09:46 AM  
MichelleRN

I just listed it on amazon...so far the only one I may keep is flex train and great glutes...Cathe has had a heartbreaking time of it in the last few years, and her workouts are still so incredible, I'm willing to say this set "isn't her, its me".....because I think the low impact,xtrain, and the two cardios in between (flex train and cross whatever - having a midlife fuzz moment!) are her best work.... Yeah, I got the phone in feeling too, but you know what, it wasn't like other videos where you repeat circuits (I hate that, even in Lauren Brooks' stuff - I hate repeating things - though I love her).....she still made the effort...
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 10:37 PM  
Irisg1

I did this one today and liked it much more than I thought I would. However, why is Cathe suddenly calling round-house kicks, Side Kicks? That is a pet peeve of mine, instructors not cuing correctly. Other than that, I need to try it again now that I am familiar with it. Still have to try the heavy-bag segment as well.
Old 12-04-13, 08:52 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

This workout has really grown on me.

I agree the combo section is a bit lackluster, and I do not care for double-kicks which are used a lot in this section. But the other sections are a lot of fun to me.

I tried the first premix (can't remember name) that includes heavy bag work. When I got to the combo section, I just hit "next" to skip it. Hey, a nice feature of having no chapter points, is I only had to hit "next" once!

I don't have a heavy bag, but this section works great without one. It was short combos with no breakdown and including kicking and even a few burpees. It was definitely a bit more intense than the combo section.

I think the drill and boxing with glove sections are fun. The boxing section music is mostly rap/hip-hop music which I love for boxing, and the fake lyrics are less noticeable to me since I can't always hear the lyrics anyway.

I loved doing the workout this way. It ended up being 50 minutes with the stretch, leaving me some time to do some abs. Finishing up with this fun section instead of the more boring combos makes it feel like a better workout overall.

According to my heart rate monitor the intensity for me was exactly the same as KPC and HardStrikes. Which means it was moderate. Kickboxing always is. KPC was actually a lower avg heart rate, but it feels a little more intense but I think that is because it is longer.

Full disclosure, I actually really like HardStrikes, so my taste in Boxing/KB workouts is different than many people here. I'm kind of bored with KPC and I like the drills that she does in these last two workouts of this genre. (I also like all 3 of the STS MMA workouts, but those feel the easiest of all her workouts to me.)
Old 12-08-13, 03:04 PM  
Bebop

I just got this workout. I previewed it once. I didn't like the music but I figured I could use the music off or music only no lyrics version.

Yesterday I did the warmup and cardio kickbox portion. The music did not bother me while I was doing the workout. In fact, it seemed to compliment the movements. When I was previewing it I thought I'd have to modify to the rebounder but I was able to modify this to low impact. As an aside, between her Low impact series, and the modifier on Turbofire, I am able to modify very effectively high to low.

My impression - Fun. There were enough different moves and combos to keep it fresh but enough of her familiar moves so I could get a decent workout. Cardio wise - I would say it was a nice easy steady state. I'm sure if I had continued with the other segments, it would have been harder.

Ofcourse, I keep thinking back to the body blast series where she had the blender. This would have been nice to be able to program and do it twice. I guess that is a discussion for another thread. For example, on Kick/punch/crunch, I have sometimes programed the cardio portion twice.

I plan on trying the rest of the segments this week and I'll post my impressions. I'll eventually write a review in the review section once I've completed the workout.

All in all, I'm glad I bought this. I like Cathe kickbox very much and so far, except for her very first one, I use them all.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 10:58 AM  
toomuchjoy

I've had this for months and just tried it today. I really liked it! I did the Timesaver #3. I'm an intermediate exerciser and got a really good sweat. I found the combos challenging...I still need to work on getting combo #3 together. I did punch myself in the face during combo #2 but I can only blame myself.

I will *definitely* do this one again. Much better than Hard Strikes!
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-13, 11:45 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I really like RoKo. I got it in a trade (thank you!) Like others, I was surprised at the bad cueing from Cathe. It's very noticeable. But the music was fun, especially She Bop. It isn't all 80's songs. I haven't tried the heavy bag segment, but I imagine I'll like that too because I'm always looking for bag workouts. I consider this intermediate level, maybe high-intermediate if you give it your all, but you can make it a lot easier by taking out some or all of the impact. I did that the other day and it was way fun that way.

Tags
cathe, cathe kickbox, rockout knockout