Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-13, 05:43 PM  
momof10

I am absolutely loving PRS 1 and 2. I got away from step for a while. I learned PRS 1 first and thought that PRS 2 couldn't come close to how fun 1 was. Well, I was wrong. I love them both equally. I have been alternating between the two of them and doing the 74 minute premix, which isn't an express one. LOL. Cathe has the best step ever.

Cheryl
Old 10-26-13, 07:28 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
For ages I did almost nothing but Cathe, but we drifted apart the last few years. I stopped pre-ordering after Shock Cardio and I didn't even buy her workouts the last few years. Then the new series was available for pre-order and they sounded good. I almost canceled at the last minute but they told me I had to re-submit my CC info and during the time I was exchanging emails, I changed my mind. And then some lovely VFer posted about the XTrain series on sale at Collage and I went for that too. Anyway, now I'm doing an XTrain rotation and am totally into Cathe again. I know some people really love the old workouts and I do too. But I really like this new, slightly rounder and less well-cut, gracefully aging, more moderate Cathe. She used to be such an incredibly toned Energizer Bunny that she made me feel a little inadequate. The new, (IMO) improved Cathe seems to have a few limitations and even admits she's out of breath when I'm gasping for air myself. And I'm so glad she's acknowledged that some of us need low-impact, at least some of the time. With the old Cathe, I felt like EVERY single workout was going to be super-intense; now I feel like I can alternate the toughies with some that aren't quite so over-the-top. IMO, no instructor consistently combines great workouts, great sets, great backgrounders, great music, and great cuing like Cathe. Sure, there's things she could do better, but for a variety of well-thought-out workouts, she certainly is one of the top in the industry.
I consider XTrain is my best workout purchase of 2013....!
Old 10-26-13, 07:39 PM  
s2546

yep- i even love the new ones that came out after XTrain. and i agree that there is now a mixture of intense and less intense with Cathe that did not exist in the early years and this is a good thing!

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-13, 10:16 PM  
workoutjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
For ages I did almost nothing but Cathe, but we drifted apart the last few years. I stopped pre-ordering after Shock Cardio and I didn't even buy her workouts the last few years. Then the new series was available for pre-order and they sounded good. I almost canceled at the last minute but they told me I had to re-submit my CC info and during the time I was exchanging emails, I changed my mind. And then some lovely VFer posted about the XTrain series on sale at Collage and I went for that too. Anyway, now I'm doing an XTrain rotation and am totally into Cathe again. I know some people really love the old workouts and I do too. But I really like this new, slightly rounder and less well-cut, gracefully aging, more moderate Cathe. She used to be such an incredibly toned Energizer Bunny that she made me feel a little inadequate. The new, (IMO) improved Cathe seems to have a few limitations and even admits she's out of breath when I'm gasping for air myself. And I'm so glad she's acknowledged that some of us need low-impact, at least some of the time. With the old Cathe, I felt like EVERY single workout was going to be super-intense; now I feel like I can alternate the toughies with some that aren't quite so over-the-top. IMO, no instructor consistently combines great workouts, great sets, great backgrounders, great music, and great cuing like Cathe. Sure, there's things she could do better, but for a variety of well-thought-out workouts, she certainly is one of the top in the industry.

I love XTrain! I have a lot of Cathe's older series. Passed on STS, Shock Cardio, and selectively chose a few from LIS (Trisets, TurboBarre)...haven't bought any from her newest series yet. Anyway, I've been getting back into working out and have been enjoying my classic Cathes. But, I am anxious to do XTrain again. Really a well done series. The upper body workouts made me feel strong. Liked the 100 rep challenges for bis and tris esp. And I like the lighter weight lower body work. I still haven't tried the Tabatas yet, but hope I'm able to next round.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 09:32 AM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I consider XTrain is my best workout purchase of 2013....!
I agree. As far as Cathe's intensity and impact....I don't think every workout has to be "puke in the bucket" hard. I like having different intensities.

Bodymax 1 and Circuit Max and MIS Cardio still wipe me out. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a Cathe workout because I want a good hard workout but still want to be able to move after it For the record, I don't think any of her newer stuff is easy! I think we are just getting in better shape
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 09:50 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'm rediscovering Cathe as well, after kind of losing interest after the Hardcore series. I preordered the Party Rockin' Steps, and while they're a bit too fast for me right now (boy, my stepping has gotten really rusty!) they gave me a hankering for more Cathe step.

After, ahem, previewing Intensity, I bought it from an Amazon third-party. It's puke-in-a-bucket for sure, but in a "you can do this if you work at it!" way, not a "stare at the screen in total disbelief" way. I also bought Xtrains Super Cuts and Chest/Shoulders/Back from Fitness Fusion. Super Cuts looks like it would make a great metabolic weight workout with good music and CSB has several premixes that would be good upper-body add-ons.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 10:10 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I do think that Xtrain is the best series she's put out in awhile. Of the new group, I'm loving X10 and the two step workouts. I admit that to some degree my lessening of my own Cathe love is due to the IMHO extreme reactions of some of her fans---I don't mean the "average" Cathe fan (of which I am one of them) but rather those that feel that any comment that is less than deification is either a)mean or b)bashing or c)both. I wish she had stepped in at some point and said "hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Let's move on" or something of the sort but as that doesn't appear to be even a remote possibility, I just don't visit her site and try to ignore the threads here that get heated. It's just a sidebar to the workouts themselves anyway and I need to just get over it.

So yes, with the last two series/releases I find I am doing more of my Cathes including revisiting some old favorites from earlier series!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 10:35 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I'm so glad you're finding the Cathe love again, Hilary! It's funny because I've always noticed there are so many VF'ers who split with Cathe around the STS time. There definitely seems to be a distinct pre-STS Cathe and post-STS Cathe that I think took awhile for some people to get used to. Since I didn't discover Cathe's workouts until 2011, I missed all that. I just discovered all these workouts that were so great and I loved what she was putting out after I discovered I could do her stuff (LIS, XTrain, CF and TTM).

I think if I had tried Cathe before when she was all about step aerobics and didn't put out any low impact workouts, I may not have clicked with her like I did. I actually have realized that I prefer her newer stuff to most of that older stuff that everyone else loves so much! Like you said, she is mixing up intensities, isn't doing as much step (a good thing for me ), mixing up the impact, and IMHO usually using high impact that is easier on my joints when she does use it (other than the love fest she is having with regular jumping jacks in this last series ).

This last series was actually the first time since I discovered her that I was a wee bit disappointed in some of the workouts. X10 and Flex Train are keepers, but I wasn't as over the moon with the others. Different strokes, though! She is still my main instructor and I do her workouts at least 90% of the time even though I have lots of other dvds on the shelf that I like by other instructors. I just end up pulling her stuff out more often than not!
Old 10-27-13, 10:55 AM  
bubbles76

Eyefit, I think you're on to something. I only discovered Cathe around 2007 when I joined VF, so I missed the split, I guess . All her stuff was new to me, and I like the new stuff and old stuff. I find myself reaching for her newer stuff though, because it's more at my level right now. Imax 3, when I tried it for the first time, SLAYED me, but Insanity was much more doable. Hard, but doable. And STS makes me not want to do any other strength training program. It is near perfection for me! I'm doing Xtrain right now, but really wanting to do STS. The only reason I don't go back to it is because I don't want to burn out on it.

Cataddict, don't let Cathe's non-response keep you away from some great workouts! I look at it as she doesn't want to muzzle any of her fans. I know in the past that negative posts were taken down or even belittled by her staff, but that has stopped (I believe. I was never a frequent poster) due to the negative response THAT received. I think she feels if she muzzles her fans in any way now that it would antagonize even her most ardent fans. She doesn't want to tick off anyone, so she let's it all hang out.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 08:29 AM  
Conni

I had gotten off the Cathe train after the Sash Series. I really didn't "love" those workouts like I love the Body Blast and Intensity series and decided not to get any Cathe workouts just because they were "Cathe". The Shock Cardio series did not appeal at all, and I am just now liking a few of those ( Hiit, Intensity). Then Cathe said she was doing a low impact series, and I jumped back on the train. I have loved everything since! LIS, Crossfire, Two the Max, Xtrain and now the newest series are all making me a new Cathe Addict again!

Tags
cathe, xtrain