Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-13, 05:19 PM  
Chomper

Thumbs up Party Rockin' Step #1 and #2

Now that I have done both of these workouts, I thought I would share my impressions.

First off, people who enjoy Cathe step workouts will almost certainly enjoy these. What interested me most was that #1 was billed as complex and dancier and #2 was billed as simpler and more athletic, and so I was surprised to find that #1 still had some high impact built into the combos and was more intense than I was expecting. It wasn't killer, but it kept my heart rate higher than most "dancier" step. Likewise, #2 had plenty of high impact power moves, but she also weaved some lower impact fairly complex moves in as well. She doesn't overwhelm you with complexity in #2, but there was more than I expected.

This really pleases me, because I love both dancey and athletic step, and sometimes I have trouble choosing between them when I'm picking out a workout.

I have seen some comments about Cathe's lack of cueing. Since the bulk of my step workouts have been Cathe step workouts (starting with things like Basic Step and Low Impact Step and moving my way up), I am used to her cueing on or after a move. It actually tripped me up when I first tried Petra Kolber and Gay Gasper step routines. They would cue ahead of the move, and I would get confused. Let's just say these new workouts are more of the same Cathe in terms of cueing.

These workouts were a ton of fun. The music was fine, thankfully, because I find a step workout completely unusable if the music is terrible (like Low Impact Challenge). There were old favorite moves, and some new ones. #2 had power 7's, 15's, 3's, which I don't care for, so I just jogged on and off the step during those.

These were the ones I was most excited about and I am happy that I will get a lot of use and enjoyment out of them.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 05:55 PM  
tiletha444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Now that I have done both of these workouts, I thought I would share my impressions.

First off, people who enjoy Cathe step workouts will almost certainly enjoy these. What interested me most was that #1 was billed as complex and dancier and #2 was billed as simpler and more athletic, and so I was surprised to find that #1 still had some high impact built into the combos and was more intense than I was expecting. It wasn't killer, but it kept my heart rate higher than most "dancier" step. Likewise, #2 had plenty of high impact power moves, but she also weaved some lower impact fairly complex moves in as well. She doesn't overwhelm you with complexity in #2, but there was more than I expected.

This really pleases me, because I love both dancey and athletic step, and sometimes I have trouble choosing between them when I'm picking out a workout.

I have seen some comments about Cathe's lack of cueing. Since the bulk of my step workouts have been Cathe step workouts (starting with things like Basic Step and Low Impact Step and moving my way up), I am used to her cueing on or after a move. It actually tripped me up when I first tried Petra Kolber and Gay Gasper step routines. They would cue ahead of the move, and I would get confused. Let's just say these new workouts are more of the same Cathe in terms of cueing.

These workouts were a ton of fun. The music was fine, thankfully, because I find a step workout completely unusable if the music is terrible (like Low Impact Challenge). There were old favorite moves, and some new ones. #2 had power 7's, 15's, 3's, which I don't care for, so I just jogged on and off the step during those.

These were the ones I was most excited about and I am happy that I will get a lot of use and enjoyment out of them.
Nice reviews! Thanks for the input.
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13, 06:19 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

I completely agree with just about everything you said.

I first learned the concept of combos from Cathe, so I got used to her late cueing. When I first started doing Christie Taylor workouts (who is excellent at cueing) it was an adjustment because she cued so early.

I think where Cathe isn't that great isn't necessarily cue-ing (although she could be better!) but teaching, which I consider a different skill. She doesn't do a great job of breaking down the moves and just throws things at you. Sometimes when your back is to the TV! Combine that with late cues, it can be frustrating for people who don't like her style.

I feel like the step workouts are the stars of this group of workouts. I will probably keep all the other workouts and will enjoy at least parts of all of them, but there are things weren't exactly what I hoped for. But she over-delivered on the step in a way, since originally she was just going to make one workout and present a less dancy version. Instead we got two fun step workouts that are quite different from each other for the price of one.
Old 10-10-13, 06:40 PM  
gigi

I like them both too. I'm off to do a premix right now!
Old 10-15-13, 07:02 AM  
isebelleg44

I finally did Party Rockin Step #2 yesterday and am surprised how much I enjoyed it. I am not a big fan of cardio, nevermind cardio with any kind of choreography. It was fun and it was nice to scale it back for once. I still got a good workout without killing myself and even repeated the finished product.

I was able to get most of the workout on the first try, but I have been doing Cathe workouts for years. Despite the jumping jacks and power 3s, 7s & 15s, this workout felt fresh.

Can't believe I am saying this, but can't wait to try Party Rockin Step #1.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 07:53 AM  
daisyfit

I'm scared of doing the first step workout, is it hard? I loved step workout 2.
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 08:20 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyfit View Post
I'm scared of dong the first step workout, is it hard? I lovd step workout 2.
I think Combo 5 was the most confusing. I wish Cathe would spell out which leg you're supposed to be on and which direction you're supposed to turn a little more consistently. I think if you can handle #2, then #1 is within your grasp. Just might take a couple of times to get the whole routine.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 09:39 AM  
Conni

I agree about combo 5. It is weird, but when I finally understood what Cathe was doing, I felt that the way she taught it made it more difficult than it really was.
Old 10-15-13, 10:43 AM  
Hilary

I haven't done #2 yet, but I absolutely LOVE #1. It is about the most fun step workout I have. I think any step workout, unless it's just basic up-up, down-down, requires some commitment and entails some frustration in the beginning. It took me a long time to put in the effort to learn complex choreography, but I'm so glad I did. You have to tell yourself that you're going to have a few workouts where you're rewinding a lot and concentrating maybe more than you're used to. And even when you get used to complex choreography, a new workout is still going to throw you a few times. I'm used to both Cathe and Christi and agree that Christi is the better cuer/teacher, but then her videos are definitely more complex. PRS #2 took me about four times to totally nail. Unlike Christi, she doesn't TIFT and once you complete a combo you don't see it again until the end. But this actually makes it a bit easier to learn, because you can just keep rewinding the combo until you feel it's getting easier. I didn't get through PRS1 the first time; my mind felt overwhelmed by the end of Combo 4. The second time, I did all of it and Combo 5; the next time, all of it; and then it was just a matter of practicing it with some rewinding.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 12:25 PM  
Fitstick

I have only done each of these once but really enjoyed them too! They are classic Cathe step routines and they weave in a lot of fun movements. Compared to Amy's newest ASC5, these are a walk in the park to learn. I am still mustering up the courage to try ASC5 again!! However, I am so glad to see some new step routines on the market - Yeah!
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe friedrich, party rockin' step #1, party rockin' step #2