Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-03, 10:22 AM  
witcheywayz

my body vs. my endurance

I was in the past in very good shape but it has been a long time (about 5 years). I wrote in my intro that I used a treadmill, free weights and rebounder but I haven't been consistent and I wouldn't call myself in shape by any stretch.

My question is that I seem to have quite a bit of endurance (probably from the walking on treadmill) but my body is having a hard time.

example - I did the Lotte Berk BE and ended it thinking it was enjoyable but pretty easy...but a few hours later I felt like someone had kicked my butt.

I can make it through my old Cher Fitness step tape with my heart rate in the mid range (hardly break a sweat) but my knees ache...my lower back is sore. I have the step on the floor and feel like I'd love to move it on its risers and experience a sweaty workout

would flexibility work (i have a bunch of yoga, pilates, and the tape angles, lines and curves II) help my pitiful body??

Lori
witcheywayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 11:55 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Lori,

You should improve in time. Exercise is very specific. You may be great at treadmill walking, but that won't necessary translate immediately to a different exercise. It takes time. Most people get really sore when they switch to a new activity. But each time they do it, they make the neuromuscular adaptations that allow them to get better and better.

That said, there's good sore and there's bad sore. The good kind is muscular (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, or DOMS). Joint pain is not good. The fact that you've got achy knees and a lower back after step makes me wonder about your form. Do you know about proper step technique?

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 12:44 PM  
DD1

I agree with Karen. Doesn't matter how fit you are at one activity, when you switch activities you will feel it

Hence why we always strongly advocate cross training!

But your aerobic base that you built up by walking should help you with the step tape and other fitness activities, it just might take a while. I'd recommend doing the tape a few times without any step at all, get used to that, and then start adding the step

Dee
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-03, 02:11 PM  
witcheywayz

I do regret that I didn't cross train but oh well...I know better now!

I guess I am just feeling frustrated as I really want to be doing the more fun, more advanced stuff.

I believe I am using correct step technique..I hold my abs in and chest lifted. I will do a search of the boards and read about this though!! thanks for the tip.

The Lotte Berk sore I think WAS probably the good sore, but man was I sore LOL

Lori
Old 05-14-03, 06:21 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by witcheywayz
I do regret that I didn't cross train but oh well...I know better now!
Don't worry about it. It's never too late. And there are so many activities out there that you'll always end up needing to break in (or re-learn) a new activity or movement.

Quote:
I guess I am just feeling frustrated as I really want to be doing the more fun, more advanced stuff.
Get your basics down, and you'll get there. Have patience.

Quote:
I believe I am using correct step technique..I hold my abs in and chest lifted. I will do a search of the boards and read about this though!! thanks for the tip.
I think this is where a video can really help out. Two videos that are often cited as excellent for learning Step Technique are the first Reebok step video and Kathy Smith's beginner step video (someone, please post the actual names!). [/B][/QUOTE]

Quote:
The Lotte Berk sore I think WAS probably the good sore, but man was I sore LOL
Monster DOMS. Helps you think twice about taking too much time off! I feel your pain...

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 05-14-03, 06:41 PM  
witcheywayz

---I think this is where a video can really help out. Two videos that are often cited as excellent for learning Step Technique are the first Reebok step video and Kathy Smith's beginner step video (someone, please post the actual names!). [/B][/QUOTE]

well this is a GREAT reason to buy a new tape or two )) thanks! i have heard of the reebok step tape (isn't it gin miller?) so i will look for that one. i haven't ever tried a kathy smith but for some reason i am turned off by her..don't know why?

Lori
Old 05-14-03, 06:51 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Yes, the Reebok step video has Gin Miller in it. Simple, basic choreography, but some good pointers on step technique at the end. I think it's called Reebok: The Step or something like that. You probably won't need it to use it too many times. Hopefully it will help you figure out what is making your back and knees ache.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 05-14-03, 11:50 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Hi Lori,
Another possibility is that your muscles need to be strengthened. Your joints may be hurting because when your muscles and tissues surrounding the joints are weak, the joints have less support and cannot handle the stresses placed on them. I suggest that you do strength training as well as flexibility training. Do you have any strength videos, such as Cathe's Maximum Intensity Strength or one of the Firm tapes? Some of the Body Bar tapes are good, including the ones by Keli Roberts (who did the Cher tape).
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-03, 07:44 AM  
witcheywayz

I think you are right on about my weak muscles. I did the Angles, Lines & Curves II video last night and LOVED it but on a few of the parts I didn't have the strength to even lift my legs off the floor - I loved this tape and just modified the parts where I was too weak.

I do need to purchase some strength tapes (I have the firm fanny lifter and 3 tapes that came with). and am happy you mention the Cathe as I thought she was only for advanced. I also ordered Body Pump and a Christi Taylor (the strength and flexibility one)!

Since I have done weight training in the past and have been in good shape i am hoping I will progress rapidly...I read in a book (I think Joyce Vedral) that if you are returning to a weight program and have in the past been in good shape you will acheive results much faster than if it is your first time with weights.

Lori
Old 05-15-03, 08:12 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Tape names and techniques

The Reebok beginner tape with Gin Miller is Step Reebok: The Video. Kathy Smith's is just called Step Workout. They do both have good instructional sections at the end.

When I first started stepping the two things I found most important for me in the way of form were:
-step onto the platform heel first
-step lightly enough to make as little noise as possible

Be prepared to skip some reps in Cathe's videos if you decide to try them. I just found them too much sheer volumne even with light weights when I first started.

Enjoy the process!

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote