Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-18, 04:11 PM  
suzannaerin

I have similar woes and am currently seeing a neurosurgeon, after getting marginal help from an orthopedist, chiropractor, and PT.. I have scoliosis so the neurosurgeon had me take a full spine X-ray and lumbar MRI. I also have neck issues but PT helped. Anyway, I see the doctor again in about a week to see what the tests found. In the meantime, I had a deep muscle massage with cupping on the back and hips, and it was like magic in easing my pain. Do you sit a lot? I wonder if your hip flexors are pulling you out of whack. Get a sit to stand desk at work has also helped.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 09:02 AM  
MichelleRN

4 bulging (aka slipped) discs, severe degeneration, hip that doesn't fit in socket, bone spurs and 2 tears in hamstrings, ...but no back ache..the hip , the outside of thigh, and middle hamstring - on fire regularly...hip openers make it worse...the yoga wheel helps, no flexion moves, all lengthening...and yes, cortisone and ace wraps, ice, and tens....
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-18, 09:19 AM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleRN View Post
4 bulging (aka slipped) discs, severe degeneration, hip that doesn't fit in socket, bone spurs and 2 tears in hamstrings, ...but no back ache..the hip , the outside of thigh, and middle hamstring - on fire regularly...hip openers make it worse...the yoga wheel helps, no flexion moves, all lengthening...and yes, cortisone and ace wraps, ice, and tens....
Michelle, are there certain exercises with the wheel you find helpful or do you have a wheel workout?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 06:04 PM  
Christin B

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I have similar woes and am currently seeing a neurosurgeon, after getting marginal help from an orthopedist, chiropractor, and PT.. I have scoliosis so the neurosurgeon had me take a full spine X-ray and lumbar MRI. I also have neck issues but PT helped. Anyway, I see the doctor again in about a week to see what the tests found. In the meantime, I had a deep muscle massage with cupping on the back and hips, and it was like magic in easing my pain. Do you sit a lot? I wonder if your hip flexors are pulling you out of whack. Get a sit to stand desk at work has also helped.
It sounds like we have been through a lot of the same things. I do have to sit a fair amount for my job and, because of this pain issue and the fact it has gone on for so long, my work was awesome and bought me a stand-up desk. When I got my tax refund I bought myself one for home. It has been a godsend! I have never tried cupping before. Is it painful? Do you think it was that that helped you or the massage?
Christin B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 06:05 PM  
Christin B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleRN View Post
Ouch! You sure have had your share of pain I'll bet. Ice has been sooooo helpful and I wish I had started using it sooner. I also just got a tens unit and am going to try it out this weekend. What do you do with a yoga wheel? I am not familiar with that.
Old 04-06-18, 06:10 PM  
Christin B

Update

Well, I saw the Neurosurgeon yesterday morning and he said that he wants me to go back to pain management to get a couple of Radio Frequency Ablations done - one in my hip and another where my ischial bursa and piriformis connect. Needless to say, I am rather nervous. Have any of you ever had this done? I see the pain management Neurologist on the 18th to discuss the procedure and get it scheduled.

As for PT, he said that I can continue to lift for upper body but drop the weight a bit and increase the reps. He also said I needed to do everything supported - either seated or with my back braced up against a wall and in a semi-squat position. As for cardio, he said the only thing he'd recommend at this point is the recumbent bike. UGH. Meanwhile, all of my wonderful DVDs are sitting lonely on their shelves just taunting me....
Old 04-06-18, 06:49 PM  
Sara1000

I never heard of the Radio Frequency Ablations but it sounds promising. Keep us posted.

I am back to only recumbent bike and Nordic Walking as I got cocky and did some lower body exercises I thought would be safe, but they weren't.

I don't know if your doctor knows about Nordic Walking as it never really caught on here in the states. I find I can take the weight off my hip with the poles so that there is no pain when I walk. Walking with the Nordic Poles uses your arms enough that it increases your heart rate and gives a better workout than plain walking. I borrowed my MIL's poles to try them out and she said keep them as she doesn't use them any more. I think she was a little embarrassed to use them which I can understand but I don't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtyyEpHtZM
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulging disc, hip pain, sciatica, yoga wheel gadget