Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-17, 02:29 PM  
Texasgirl

Pregnancy and planks/exercises on all fours

I'm currently in my second trimester and finally have enough energy to start working out again. I know exercises targeting the abs are generally not recommended. What about exercises on all fours, like ballet beautiful or Tracy Anderson or donkey kicks? They're not ab specific exercises per se, but I definitely feel them in my abs. Are those safe to do, or should I be doing more standing exercises instead?

I'd appreciate any recs for videos too!
Texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 03:47 PM  
cherimac

I took a peak at Pilates by Lisa's Pregnancy Series. She does all 4s. I think you would need to be careful about balance-some TA moves have you on one hand and one knee, etc. I would keep both hands on the floor. I did all 4s that way with my doctor's okay. Congratulations.
Old 04-28-17, 05:33 AM  
killoffsonny

I have a Pop Pilates instructor at my gym who is in her third trimester. She does get on all fours. She moderates a lot and of course had to stop doing the planks and such by her fifth month. She will no longer be teaching after this Saturday April 29. I believe her baby is due first part of June.
Old 04-28-17, 06:22 AM  
Buzzer

When I was pregnant and doing Tracey Anderson work, I would put my hands on my weight bench for planks towards the end of my pregnancy. It was just more comfortable.

I also laid down on my back for some exercises, and my Doctor told me as long as I don't feel anything bad, it was OK.

I think as long as you are comfortable and can get into plank, do it!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 10:41 AM  
Texasgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I took a peak at Pilates by Lisa's Pregnancy Series. She does all 4s. I think you would need to be careful about balance-some TA moves have you on one hand and one knee, etc. I would keep both hands on the floor. I did all 4s that way with my doctor's okay. Congratulations.
Are there enough pregnancy videos to justify subscribing to pilates by lisa?
Old 04-30-17, 11:17 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasgirl View Post
Are there enough pregnancy videos to justify subscribing to pilates by lisa?
She only lists 6 as specific, prenatal workouts. I would say only if you love it and plan to do them a lot. You could do a ten day free trial to try them. Just ame sure to email her at lisa@pilatesbylisa.com.au if you want to cancel. Some people have trouble getting a response using the contact button on her website.
Old 05-01-17, 09:16 AM  
Texasgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
She only lists 6 as specific, prenatal workouts. I would say only if you love it and plan to do them a lot. You could do a ten day free trial to try them. Just ame sure to email her at lisa@pilatesbylisa.com.au if you want to cancel. Some people have trouble getting a response using the contact button on her website.
Thank you!
Old 05-01-17, 01:24 PM  
Kesal

During my second and third tri, I mostly did two of Suzanne Bowen’s prenatal dvds (Long and Lean Prenatal, and Slim and Toned Prenatal). They each have 3 or 4 twenty minute segments which was a perfect length for me to do before work. I felt like they kept me in good shape throughout pregnancy and were good preparation for childbirth. I see that she/her studio have a couple of additional prenatal dvds out since then.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...bowen+prenatal

I also had Tracy Anderson’s Pregnancy Project set – those workouts are longer, so I really only did them on weekends. It was nice to have some variety, but I preferred Suzanne Bowen. One thing I did like about the Pregnancy Project dvds was that she designed them to go month by month, and filmed them as her own pregnancy progressed.
https://www.amazon.com/Tracy-Anderso.../dp/B00AQ4WJM2

To answer your question, I think planks are fine – all of those workouts included them, I believe. The only things I remember avoiding were some twisting moves.
Kesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 10:31 AM  
cherimac

Texasgirl-Lisa just blogged about Pilates and pregnancy. You can read her blog even if you're not a streaming subscriber.

https://pilatesbylisa.com.au/blog/pi...ou-should-know